pulling out a stuck CX-5

piotrek91

:
2013 CX-5 6MT
One of these days my FWD CX-5 is going to get stuck in sand, dirt or snow (not much mud around here, so that shouldn't be a problem)
And when it does hopefully someone with a 4x4 will be there to help get it out.

Anyone know where it would be possible to safely attach a tow strap?

There are tow hook eyelets in the compartment where the spare is. There are some plastic caps on both bumpers that pop off and the eyelets can be screwed into the frame for that purpose.

There are tow hook eyelets in the compartment where the spare is. There are some plastic caps on both bumpers that pop off and the eyelets can be screwed into the frame for that purpose.

I remember reading in the manual that those are only to tie the car down during transport and that they are NOT to be used for towing!

Page 7-21 of owners' manual

CAUTION
Do not use the front and rear
tiedown eyelets for towing the
vehicle.
They have been designed only for
securing the vehicle to a transport
vessel during shipping.
Using the eyelets for any other
purpose could result in the vehicle
being damaged.

That said, I have used them on my wife's Miata to winch it up onto a flatbed truck and it didn't harm it. Being stuck in sand could be another matter entirely though.

That said, I have used them on my wife's Miata to winch it up onto a flatbed truck and it didn't harm it. Being stuck in sand could be another matter entirely though.

For getting unstuck, those hooks would definitely be an extreme last resort.
I would rather spend a few hours with a shovel than have my bumper torn off by an overpowered 4x4.

Too bad these are so expensive:
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1012
I would pick some up at $40 per pair... but 300 for some plastic!?

For what it is worth, the dealer specifically told me that those spots behind the bumper blanks are for towing out of the ditch.

For what it is worth, the dealer specifically told me that those spots behind the bumper blanks are for towing out of the ditch.

Mine too. How stupid am I to believe something the dealer tells me. They also said my gt definitely has a stock subwoofer. Fortunately I looked into that one myself and told him to show it to me. He learned something that day.

Mine too. How stupid am I to believe something the dealer tells me. They also said my gt definitely has a stock subwoofer. Fortunately I looked into that one myself and told him to show it to me. He learned something that day.
Like not to make up BS on the fly in order to move metal? Don't count on it!

That's because your dealer is right. Though I think what is confusing is the choice of words here. The tow eyes are not actually for "towing" but if you get stuck in a ditch, it's intended purpose is to give the winch something to grab and get you out. Once you're out of the ditch, transport the car on a flatbed or tow by wheels.

Track days almost always require tow eyes to be installed for that very reason.

So Canadian auto salespeople are like US auto salespeople, mostly worthless.

(Kinda like the Mercedes salesperson showing me a new CLA yesterday, said tires were conventional and CLA had spare in trunk, when the were actually runflats and had no spare in trunk, yep I looked).

Last edited:
Depending how stuck I am... I'd use the supplied eyelets for recovery. If I'm buried up to the axles I wouldn't let someone start jerking on them.

One of these days my FWD CX-5 is going to get stuck in sand, dirt or snow (not much mud around here, so that shouldn't be a problem)

You should trick your car out with a lift kit and beefy wheels. May help your concern and be unique

What part of Socal do you live in where this is a concern?

That's because your dealer is right. Though I think what is confusing is the choice of words here. The tow eyes are not actually for "towing" but if you get stuck in a ditch, it's intended purpose is to give the winch something to grab and get you out. Once you're out of the ditch, transport the car on a flatbed or tow by wheels.

Track days almost always require tow eyes to be installed for that very reason.

I have the same bumper covers eyelits on my 3 series. There is a tow hook that screws into the hole once you remove the cover located in the trunk.

What part of Socal do you live in where this is a concern?

I live in Ventura county, (just outside LA). Not many places to get stuck around here.. but within a few hours drive, I could get my CX-5 stuck in the Anza Borrego desert (going camping there next month on some sandy road that's supposed to be OK for 2wd), or on a beach in Baja, or somewhere in Death valley.

As far as lifting the CX-5 and putting on some beefy tires.. I chose the CX-5 as a good all around vehicle (good for long distance travel, fun on windy roads, and fuel efficient) IMO lifting it and adding beefy tires would ruin the car.
I did not want an SUV when I was shopping around, but now that I have the 8.5 inches of ground clearance I plan to use it.

As far as adding AWD... that would be quite the project. I know it will never happen, but it would be awesome to buy a totaled 2.5AWD CX-5 and swap the engine, AWD system and the 40-20-40 seats into my manual CX-5. (tho it might be easier to sell my CX-5, but a 2.5AWD model and swap in the 6MT from a European manual AWD cx-5)

I live in Ventura county, (just outside LA). Not many places to get stuck around here.. but within a few hours drive, I could get my CX-5 stuck in the Anza Borrego desert (going camping there next month on some sandy road that's supposed to be OK for 2wd), or on a beach in Baja, or somewhere in Death valley.

As far as lifting the CX-5 and putting on some beefy tires.. I chose the CX-5 as a good all around vehicle (good for long distance travel, fun on windy roads, and fuel efficient) IMO lifting it and adding beefy tires would ruin the car.
I did not want an SUV when I was shopping around, but now that I have the 8.5 inches of ground clearance I plan to use it.

As far as adding AWD... that would be quite the project. I know it will never happen, but it would be awesome to buy a totaled 2.5AWD CX-5 and swap the engine, AWD system and the 40-20-40 seats into my manual CX-5. (tho it might be easier to sell my CX-5, but a 2.5AWD model and swap in the 6MT from a European manual AWD cx-5)

Was more of a jest than a real suggestion (lifting), as for swapping the AWD, of course not.

Back