3 weeks of CX-5 ownership

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Overall we love our CX-5 after 3 weeks of ownership and about 250 miles on the odometer.

My observation about our CX-5 Touring (adding from http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123834053-Upgrades-Nearly-Completed-(Pics)):

• The best looking CUV on the market (sans X3, X1 and Evoque)
  • Fantastic handling for a CUV, for that matter a lot other cars on the market. Turn-in and ride is really good even with 20" wheels/tires. Ride and handling is just as good as our 2011 BMW 3 series.
  • Perfect size...not too big not too small
  • The 2.5L engine is decent and feels adequate in automatic mode around town. In manual mode around town is plenty. However, highway passing is a bit hairy and definitely requires manual mode downshifting to really get into the power band.
  • Gas mileage is good. However it can definitely be better but I have a heavy foot :)
  • Fog lights are useless, period. No matter what mods you do, I don't think it will improve light output (maybe with exception of going projector HIDs fogs?) I changed to H9 bulb rated at 2500k and light output is marginally better.
  • Low beam headlight was good but now even better with aftermarket HID kit
  • Bluetooth is a bit flaky.
  • Temperature control is a bit frustrating. When you set the air flow to the front windshield vents, it automatically turns on the A/C. I don't want the A/C on!
  • Front seats take a bit of getting use to. They don't have a lot of adjustments but after a few weeks, driving position is okay.
  • Armrest location sucks
  • Wish list for Touring model that should be standard: more power please (I'd be happy to sacrifice 1-3mpg for more power), real hands-free vehicle entry, heated seats and mirrors, dual climate control, more power seat adjustments, rear backup sensor (in addition to rear view camera), home link, auto dimming
  • mmmm, what else...

Last edited:
  • Wish list for Touring model that should be standard: more power please (I'd be happy to sacrifice 1-3mpg for more power), real hands-free vehicle entry, heated seats and mirrors, dual climate control, more power seat adjustments, rear backup sensor (in addition to rear view camera), home link, auto dimming

These are available in either Touring with Tech Package or Grand Touring model with Tech and extra options.

These are available in either Touring with Tech Package or Grand Touring model with Tech and extra options.

I know :) I think they should be standard on the base touring

"Wish list for Touring model that should be standard"

Overall we love our CX-5 after 3 weeks of ownership and about 250 miles on the odometer.

[*]Bluetooth is a bit flaky.

[*]Temperature control is a bit frustrating. When you set the air flow to the front windshield vents, it automatically turns on the A/C. I don't want the A/C on!

[/LIST]

The A/C comes on to dehumidify to prevent fogging.

I know :) I think they should be standard on the base touring

"Wish list for Touring model that should be standard"

If the GT model has all the things you want standard, why not just get the GT. What difference does it make if they call it T or GT. Is there something on the GT that you specifically DON'T want?

Temperature control is a bit frustrating. When you set the air flow to the front windshield vents, it automatically turns on the A/C. I don't want the A/C on!
The A/C comes on to dehumidify to prevent fogging.

This is true, but I've disabled the feature on my past two vehicles (both were Toyotas), and when I get to it I will do the same for this one. AC with defrost is only a good thing in certain conditions (i.e. when there is condensation on the inner windshield). Even in this situation though, I've found that the bottom of the windshield freezes up if the defrost is left on too long. In other words, the defrost is doing the exact opposite of what it is supposed to be doing.
When the car is parked outside in sub-freezing conditions and there is 1/4" of ice on the outer glass, AC is doing nothing to help the situation, and is in fact slowing down the process by cooling the defrost air temperature. I've tested this with thermometers multiple times and know it to be true.

When I say I disable it, what I mean is I disabled if from coming on automatically. I still have the option to push the AC button and turn it on manually, which is how it should have come from the factory, IMO.

AC with defrost is a good thing in some situations, but it should be the driver's choice, not a forced feature.

I'm sure many will kick and scream about disabling the AC with defrost, but get over it. If you like it, keep it.

"When I say I disable it, what I mean is I disabled if from coming on automatically."

TreyP, I agree with you 100% in this. When you figure out how to do this, could you post it. I sure would appreciate it.

There are two purposes to turning the A/C on with the defroster. One, it dries out the air in summer months when it is used to defog, not defrost. Two, it exercises the system in winter preventing moisture buildup in the lines. The defroster is something that should be used sparingly and if you are using it to the point where moisture is building up again, then you aren't using it properly. Check how auto-climate control systems work. They turn it on just long enough to defrost the window and then switch over to dash vents or floor vents afterward.

There are two purposes to turning the A/C on with the defroster. One, it dries out the air in summer months when it is used to defog, not defrost. Two, it exercises the system in winter preventing moisture buildup in the lines.
I think we're all aware of this, at least I am.
if you are using it to the point where moisture is building up again, then you aren't using it properly.
Or more likely, it is not designed properly. What if I like having the air coming from that area? I shouldn't have to be flipping the dial all over the place to compensate for a system that is actively causing my sight to be blocked when the very purpose of that system is to keep my line of sight clear.

Can you advise how you have disabled the AC so that it does not automatically turn on when the nob is turned to frost setting? Please let me know. thank you

Back