Upgrades Nearly Completed (Pics)

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Well, I picked up our CX-5 Touring about 2 weeks ago to be used as our daily commuter as it is a decent gas sipper with AWD and cargo room. However we wanted to accentuate it's good looks.

So in the past week I've added:
- Niche Concourse 20" wheels/tires
- TRS HID PnP (XB35 H11B @ 5000K)
- LED foglight covers
- Factory all weather floor mats
- Factory mud flaps
- Curtis III hitch
- Custom 3M bra

Notes:
- Front mud flaps suck. Doesn't provide the coverage. Getting new aftermarket ones soon.
- Installing the HID bulb on the driver's side suck. Very little room to get your hands in there to tighten the bulb
- Hitch is a 2 person job, especially class II as it is heavier
- Love the Niche Concourse wheels. Looks aftermarket and factory at the same time. I think 255-45-20 tires are the largest you can go with factory springs without rubbing. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
- If I hadn't gone with bigger wheels, I was thinkin of lowering with H&R springs. Now I'll just stick with the factory setup. The added clearance is good for taking up to the mountains, don't have to worry about rubbing, etc.

Next Week Project ToDo's:
- Front and rear seat covers
- Upgrade foglight bulbs??
- Not sure what to do with DRL bulbs. Any help here is appreciated!
- …then done. That's all I'm putting in on this daily commuter :)

Thank you for all the great advice by CX-5 members! Made the upgrades a little easier for sure!

Attached are some before and after pics…enjoy!

Attachments

• photo 1 copya.jpg
    photo 1 copya.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 1,409
  • photo 2 copy 3.JPG
    photo 2 copy 3.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 1,650
  • photo 3 copy 2.JPG
    photo 3 copy 2.JPG
    382 KB · Views: 1,454
  • photo 1 copy 4.JPG
    photo 1 copy 4.JPG
    384.8 KB · Views: 1,390
  • photo-6.JPG
    photo-6.JPG
    684 KB · Views: 1,331
Last edited:
Car looks great. Love the LED covers, but you should have gone with 6000k low beams as the colour is a bit mismatched now. Wheels look great. If my wife wasn't the primary driver of ours, I'd get 20's as well.

Thanks! Yeah I debated on 6000K but I'm okay with a slight variance in color for now.
The 20" wheels/tires (255-45-20) isn't bad at all. It rides like a BMW…slightly firmer with much better turn-in, control and stability.

I disable the DRLs with the instructions you referenced - thanks!

Now for the fog lights...I was thinking of converting H9 to H11 for better brightness instead of going with HIDs...thoughts?

Last edited:
WOW - that is all I can say, you did a really great job with the car, love the wheels!! I would keep my 17" and mount some winter tires on them, I am in Canada so I need them. I am getting the 3M bra on mine this week, I have the CX5 GS model with the NAV added. Been cuddling (detailing) it this weekend and looked at some of the updates in the forums. Great source of inspiration. Thanks for posting.

TreyP ... No, they're actually really nice. It's a cute little CUV as you can tell from the pics. Probably as cute as yours? :)

Chris ... I made up my mind. Will give the CX-5 to my daughter. She is in high school and needs it for after school sports, etc and will take it with her to college. But the 20's are a little rougher for downtown usage and probably just asking to to be stolen. I'll drive the C'Turbo for awhile and look into the Mecan as my next project.

Last edited:
I have seen the Mecan at the LA auto show and personally I didn't like it. I like my CX5 much better.

I have seen the Mecan at the LA auto show and personally I didn't like it. I like my CX5 much better.

Yeah Mecan and CX-5 are completely in different car categories and price points.
Mecan Turbo is 400hp monster (with options for about $90K) and CX-5 is a cute good handling, gas sipper (~$25K AWD Touring)
Mecan S will go for about $60K (lightly optioned)
The CX-5 is perfect for my daughter as a daily driver. She loves the look of CX-5 as it looks "more stylish and cuter" than the RAV-4 and Ford Escape.

Yeah Mecan and CX-5 are completely in different car categories and price points.
Mecan Turbo is 400hp monster (with options for about $90K) and CX-5 is a cute good handling, gas sipper (~$25K AWD Touring)
Mecan S will go for about $60K (lightly optioned)
The CX-5 is perfect for my daughter as a daily driver. She loves the look of CX-5 as it looks "more stylish and cuter" than the RAV-4 and Ford Escape.
Yes, I am young single and training to be a pilot. In case you were wondering. Man we already have some things in common like the same cars too!

Back