On Track to Purchase a CX5....then I saw a 2014 Jeep Cherokee

Good luck on expecting Jeep (new Cherokee) reliability to exceed reliability of Mazda (CX-5), not likely. Not aware of any Jeep in last 2 decades with same level of reliability of Mazda CX-5, refer to CR reliability data for history.

btw, I've seen the pics of Cherokee, pretty darn ugly. (I've owned 3 Jeeps and do like the brand)

Jeep and reliable should not be in the same sentence. And besides, the new Cherokee is the ugliest thing on four wheels since the Pontiac Aztec.

not really in the same segment. its good $5-$10K more with similar options.

I am actually considering getting their 2015 minivan new design when it comes out. reliability of chrysler has been good since fiat took over....

If you're going domestic, the Escape is the only worthy (reliable) option. Even so, it has its fair share of problems that make the "mirror and hood shake" come off as minor.

Most recent reliability data shows Chrysler below average and some models up to average, not even close to Mazda today.

Packages may cost 2-3K more based on how you option but realibility may be better.
I currently have a Honda 2007 CRV and would hate to get a Lemon CX5 with the
1) Hood rattle
2) Mirror rattle
3) Rough idle

Your concern is misguided, CX-5 is one very solid and reliable car. A few bashers are trying to create the impression it is flimsy and unreliable but the actual statistics don't back them up.

I'm also on the fence, but it's not for reliability matter.
I might need to get a car before the end of the year (probably to keep for just about 2 years) and after screening out many different cars I was 90% convinced about the CX-5 (Sportage SX was one of the alternatives) until I saw the 2014 Cherokee.
I like its evil look and its features but on the other side I also like the mischievous look of the CX-5 and its low cost-to-own.

The models I'm interested in are:

2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD with:
Soul Red Paint
Tech Pack
Parking sensors
Retractable cargo cover
MRSP: $32465

Pro:
price
known reliability
better MPG
well balanced and fun to drive (from comments and reviews, I didnt drive any yet)
reasonable depreciation

Cons:
infotainment system (still from comments and reviews)
small moonroof
no V6 or turbo available (I'm used to sport cars)
2015 model improvements on the way

2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited AWD with:
Full sunroof
3.2 engine
Luxury Group pack
Techonology Group pack
MRSP: $37630

Pro:
V6 engine
full sunroof
Uconnect system
luxury interior
adaptive cruise control

Cons:
price
worse MPG
unknow reliability
unknown depreciation

To me the extra technology and luxury are well worth the 5k of difference, but 37k+ is still a lot of money, so now I'm like 50% convinced about the CX-5, 40% about Cherokee, 10% other models.

Cons:
price
worse MPG
unknow reliability
unknown depreciation

Good point, because depreciation will probably be the biggest factor in the significantly higher cost of ownership for the Cherokee. Most Jeeps (other than Wranglers) perform poorly in that regard, and that will add thousands of dollars of extra cost in a typical ownership period.

Yes the V6 is nice, I've driven several new JGCs with the V6 and enjoyed the power and refinement, MPG mediocre at best.

Full sunroof
3.2 engine
Luxury Group pack
Techonology Group pack

To me the extra technology and luxury are well worth the 5k of difference, but 37k+ is still a lot of money, so now I'm like 50% convinced about the CX-5, 40% about Cherokee, 10% other models.

Why dont go with the BMW X1 if you have no problem spending that much money and luxury is important to you? Between the germans and jeep I will rather go with BMW.

Packages may cost 2-3K more based on how you option but realibility may be better.
I currently have a Honda 2007 CRV and would hate to get a Lemon CX5 with the
1) Hood rattle
2) Mirror rattle
3) Rough idle

It you think the CX5 is a lemon due to those things then I would recommend you don’t browse through the Jeep forums.

Why don’t go with the BMW X1 if you have no problem spending that much money and luxury is important to you? Between the germans and jeep I will rather go with BMW.

A BMW X1 xDrive28i with similar features (not even fully loaded) reaches $42720, way out of my range.
My budget is actually around 35k max.

Last edited:
I'm also on the fence, but it's not for reliability matter.
I might need to get a car before the end of the year (probably to keep for just about 2 years) and after screening out many different cars I was 90% convinced about the CX-5 (Sportage SX was one of the alternatives) until I saw the 2014 Cherokee.
I like its evil look and its features but on the other side I also like the mischievous look of the CX-5 and its low cost-to-own.

The models I'm interested in are:

2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD with:
Soul Red Paint
Tech Pack
Parking sensors
Retractable cargo cover
MRSP: $32465

Pro:
price
known reliability
better MPG
well balanced and fun to drive (from comments and reviews, I didnt drive any yet)
reasonable depreciation

Cons:
infotainment system (still from comments and reviews)
small moonroof
no V6 or turbo available (I'm used to sport cars)
2015 model improvements on the way

Full sunroof
3.2 engine
Luxury Group pack
Techonology Group pack

Pro:
V6 engine
full sunroof
Uconnect system
luxury interior
adaptive cruise control

Cons:
price
worse MPG
unknow reliability
unknown depreciation

KC, I saw a soul red on the road today. It looked soooo good! particularly since I was also interested in red, now I'm wanting the white. I like your break down of the options and packages. Still leaning toward the CX-5 just like your percentages suggest. It's good to have options though.

As per Consumer Reports, the reliability for the last Jeep Liberty model (2008-2012) ranged from "good" (middle rating) to "poor" (lowest rating).
The reliability for the Grand Cherokee (2010 - ) had been similar.

On the other hand, the reliability (again as per Consumer Reports) for the CX-5 is "Excellent" (highest rating).

So, why do you think the reliability of the Cherokee would be better than the CX-5?

Last edited:
"realibility may be better" first off I've had none of the issues reported here and have said that I think some are trolls from other manufactures PR departments.

Second, the 2014 Cherokee is not related to any other Chrysler/Jeep products and their issues. I once had a Dodge van that by 37,000 miles was trash. No the 2014 Cherokee is a whole new issue, it's a FIAT and as good as it looks having been a FIAT parts manager I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.

To quote Abraham Lincoln " You can't believe everything you read on the interweb ". MUCH of the complaints you read about on this forum are way overblown.

Back