Cup holder-Armrest rattle

icarlos

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
My 2014 GT is making small knocking sounds coming from cup holders or armrest while driving at low speeds. It's like something is loose in there. Has anyone else experience it? Any fix to it?

Last edited:
Do you have the sliding tray thing in the compartment under the arm rest? If so, maybe try removing it and see what happens?

My 2014 GT is making small knocking sounds coming from cup holders or armrest while driving at low speeds. It's like something is loose in there. Has anyone else experience it? Any fix to it?

It's probably just some personal items rattling around in the console storage area.

Modern cars (and the CX-5 is one of the most modern) have everything attached in such a way as to minimize the chances of rattles/squeaks. Even though modern cars have many times more motors, cameras, heated this, lighted that, multiple speakers, etc., there are less squeaks and rattles than on cars of the 1970's that came with one speaker, nothing heated, etc. I've not heard one squeak or rattle from my 2013 CX-5, even after driving it for miles on rough logging roads and railing it near the limit of tire adhesion on twisty roads.

Taut little chassis.

Almost every time I thought I had a rattle it turned out to be something in the car that I forgot was there and not the car itself.

It's probably just some personal items rattling around in the console storage area.

Modern cars (and the CX-5 is one of the most modern) have everything attached in such a way as to minimize the chances of rattles/squeaks. Even though modern cars have many times more motors, cameras, heated this, lighted that, multiple speakers, etc., there are less squeaks and rattles than on cars of the 1970's that came with one speaker, nothing heated, etc. I've not heard one squeak or rattle from my 2013 CX-5, even after driving it for miles on rough logging roads and railing it near the limit of tire adhesion on twisty roads.

Taut little chassis.

I have had 3 rattles. One was a loud hood vibration that I fixed by adjusting the rubber bumpers that set the hood tension (though it still appears from time to time under heavy acceleration). Another was in the passenger vent in the center stack - moving the louvres around helps with it. The last one is a occasional buzz in the driver's door armrest. Pushing on it makes it disappear temporarily.

Aside from the hood vibration these are pretty minor and typical of every car I've had.

I have a CX-5 sport with manual transmission and my seat belt clips don't have the same problem. I sent you a couple of pics in IM.

Back