Help me pick a winter tire

CDN_ZOOM

:
2014 CX5 GS FWD
hi everyone,

2014 cx-5 touring/GS preparing for a southern Ontario winter. I am deliberating between the following winter tires, please let me know your thoughts and suggestions on which 17" ones I should go for:

Michelin Latitude Xi2
Hankook RW11 iPike
Toyo Observe GSi-5
Yokohama Ice Guard
Bridgestone Blizzak DMV1

Thanks!

I am also torn between 2 right now.

(both of them are available at costco, and the additionnal costco tire replacement warranty as been good for me in past cars)

michelins xi2 (for the threadwear warranty)
bridgestone dm-v1 (for the price)

and considering the general altimax. (not available at costco)

Last edited:
I had michelin X-ice (XI2 now i believe) and they were awesome. Great grip in slush and snow and never had issue's coming to a stop with those tires. Got caught in the snow once with the all seasons i drove on otherwise. Once i got my snow tires on the difference was huge. I was laughing manically at how much better they were. Snow tires in general are worth having and the x-ice i had then were fantastic.

Had the Altimax for 2 years on another vehicle, very good choice. This season I'm leaning towards the DM-V1.

Had the Nokian WR A3 last winter, and it was awesome. Leaving in the Alps, almost 3 months of snow and ice, and never been surprised.

Just ordered for the Nokian WR SUV 3, brand new model.

Where i leave, we are a lots using this manufacturer.

Nokian Tyres

Last edited:
hi everyone,

2014 cx-5 touring/GS preparing for a southern Ontario winter. I am deliberating between the following winter tires, please let me know your thoughts and suggestions on which 17" ones I should go for:

Michelin Latitude Xi2
Hankook RW11 iPike
Toyo Observe GSi-5
Yokohama Ice Guard
Bridgestone Blizzak DMV1

Thanks!

I'm not very far away from you (Kitchener), facing the same question. Been reading a lot of reviews and comparisons and the two tires on the list that appear near the top the most often are the Latitude Xi2 and the Blizzak DMV1. I haven't seen much about the Hankook but the Toyo and Yokohama are usually slightly lower on the chart but still good. If you find a good price on any of them around here, PM me please!

I'm not very far away from you (Kitchener), facing the same question. Been reading a lot of reviews and comparisons and the two tires on the list that appear near the top the most often are the Latitude Xi2 and the Blizzak DMV1. I haven't seen much about the Hankook but the Toyo and Yokohama are usually slightly lower on the chart but still good. If you find a good price on any of them around here, PM me please!

Bridgestones are $70 off for a set of 4 this week at costco. I heard that the michelins will also be discounted towards the end of september .
http://tires2.costco.ca/?whse=BCCA&srchKeyword=tires

hi everyone,

Michelin Latitude Xi2
Hankook RW11 iPike
Toyo Observe GSi-5
Yokohama Ice Guard
Bridgestone Blizzak DMV1

Thanks!

I have the Yokohama Ice Guards for my CX-5, and also for my Fiancee's PT Cruiser, and Fiat 500 Abarth.
We love the traction the tires provide in snow, and ice.
Tighter tread blocks don't help as much with deep slush, however.

BC.

I used the following table to pick out mine http://www.auto123.com/en/auto-parts/top-5-winter-tires-for-truckssuvs-in-2012?artid=149080
It's from last year but the results seem to be supported by many of the user experiences form various forums. The replies here are a great example where most suggest the tires that came out on top. What I found particularly useful is the breakdown which really allowed me to evaluate where my choice was impacting performance (wet vs dry vs ice vs snow traction). Bottom line is it's just more information to help find the right match for your specific needs. Although they are no substitute for safe driving, I'm almost looking forward to - safely - trying out my studded Hakka 7s :)

Hey guys, I did a long explanation last year on winter tires... http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...lizzak-DM-V1&p=6050525&viewfull=1#post6050525

The only difference is my ranking from last year... This year, it would be :

1. Nokian Hakka 7
2. Toyo GSi5
3. Michelin X-Ice Xi3
4. Yokohama IG51v
5. Bridgestone Blizzak WS60
6. Gislaved Nord-Frost 100
7. Goodyear Ultragrip Ice WRT
8. General Altimax Arctic (very good price compared to the Pirelli)

Hope it helps your choosing!!

Hey guys, I did a long explanation last year on winter tires... http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...lizzak-DM-V1&p=6050525&viewfull=1#post6050525

The only difference is my ranking from last year... This year, it would be :

1. Nokian Hakka 7
2. Toyo GSi5
3. Michelin X-Ice Xi3
4. Yokohama IG51v
5. Bridgestone Blizzak WS60
6. Gislaved Nord-Frost 100
7. Goodyear Ultragrip Ice WRT
8. General Altimax Arctic (very good price compared to the Pirelli)

Hope it helps your choosing!!

Good stuff thanks. What prompted you to move the Toyo's to the second spot? These are also on my list

Good stuff thanks. What prompted you to move the Toyo's to the second spot? These are also on my list

As I don't have a CX-5, mind you, I'm in the works of changing my winter tires on my M3... I phoned a few places to get quotes and opinions, and I checked on different forums and comparos, and they get good reviews from everyone I spoke with. Moreover, based on different things to look for in a tire, it seems that Toyo has them all under the same roof. Of course the Michelin may be quieter and perform a bit better on dry roads, but the Toyo will definitely get better snow traction (for comparable ice traction) because it has a wider space between treads. Since snow and ice traction, IMO, is more important than dry traction and quietness, I put them second.

Of course, depending on your driving and your needs, the Michelin may be better suited for you... This list is based on mostly city driving (which sees the worst conditions) with the occasionnal trip to see family or friends.. The "always-on-the-road" sales rep might be better off with the Michelin or the WRT...

I am also torn between 2 right now.

(both of them are available at costco, and the additionnal costco tire replacement warranty as been good for me in past cars)

michelins xi2 (for the threadwear warranty)
bridgestone dm-v1 (for the price)

and considering the general altimax. (not available at costco)

You should get the same treadwear between the two... For the price, I would go with the Bridgestone...

Had the Altimax for 2 years on another vehicle, very good choice. This season I'm leaning towards the DM-V1.

Good choice!

The reason I don't like the Michelin is that nice empty bar at the middle... With properly inflated tires, that middle rib will be important... By eliminating all tread there, I think it's a mistake... I come from Gislaved Nord-Frost 5 tires, which had a bigger empty band right in the middle... I could feel the difference in adherence in deep snow like crazy.

For that reason, the DM-V1 will perform better under bad conditions!

Had the Nokian WR A3 last winter, and it was awesome. Leaving in the Alps, almost 3 months of snow and ice, and never been surprised.

Just ordered for the Nokian WR SUV 3, brand new model.

Where i leave, we are a lots using this manufacturer.

Nokian Tyres

I get you Switcher... I agree!! The Hakka 7 here is THE best tire you can get your hands on... Only thing though, it is pricey.. Too much for the average user!

I have the Yokohama Ice Guards for my CX-5, and also for my Fiancee's PT Cruiser, and Fiat 500 Abarth.
We love the traction the tires provide in snow, and ice.
Tighter tread blocks don't help as much with deep slush, however.

BC.

The new IG51v has had great reviews from last winter... Definitely worth looking into!

The reason I don't like the Michelin is that nice empty bar at the middle... With properly inflated tires, that middle rib will be important... By eliminating all tread there, I think it's a mistake...

Keep in mind that a big variable in a tires performance in many types of winter conditions (including deep standing water, slush, etc.) is the percentage of void to tread. A big groove (void) simply increases the weight per square inch on the remaining tread and helps evacuate water and slush from the contact patch. A common strategy is to size winter tires narrower in order to increase the weight per square inch of the tread that contacts the running surface, a void, such as the center groove, essentially does the same thing. Additionally, circumferential grooves increase directional stability by encouraging the tire to track true on soft surfaces.

For that reason, the DM-V1 will perform better under bad conditions!

Nonsense! I've spent a lot of my 35 years of driving on snow and ice (avid winter sports enthusiast) and "bad conditions" cannot all be lumped together into one category. There are an almost infinite number of winter conditions that can be treacherous and, in my experience, no winter tire is good under all conditions. Tread design is a compromise between different conditions.

If I had to generalize a tires performance based only on tread pattern differences I would say a highly siped tire with a circumferential groove like the Michelin xi2 is generally better than average on compact snow and ice (but again, much depends upon the rubber compound, sidewall characteristics and specific snow type). In deep, fresh snow at or below the freezing point, generally not so good due to packing and clogging of the tread.

I wish I could make a recommendation but, the fact is, winter tire technology and design has been changing so fast in the last decade and it takes me two to three winters to wear out a set so, when I'm in the market for a new set, I am not picking from models I have experience with. Furthermore, performance in most "bad conditions" is more due to the specific rubber compound used and the construction of the sidewall rather than small differences in tread pattern. For that reason it is difficult to tell how a tire will perform based only on the tread pattern. The good thing is that most winter tires available today are leaps and bounds above what was available 15 years ago. Regional and weather differences should also play a large part in winter tire selection. The snow, ice and road conditions in Quebec are much different than the snow, ice and road conditions anywhere in Pennsylvania or Washington for that matter. This is a very real difference.

Until a few years ago, I would select my winter tires based solely on which ones were most likely to have the highest traction on the kinds of snow and ice I typically encountered. While I ended up with some tires that could really rally hard under many treacherous winter conditions in my part of the world, I found it did me little good because everyone else was the limiting factor. I realized that any decent snow tire would work well enough to get me safely from A to B. I also noticed that the tires I was selecting really sucked on bare wet pavement (which comprised over half of my winter driving). Sure, they had adequate traction on bare, wet pavement but the cornering became mushy and the tires wore out too easily when pushed hard on wet corners. I'm really happy with my current winter tires, Goodyear UltraGrip Ice WRT in 225/65/17 because they are more than adequate on all kinds of snow and ice I've encountered but really rail the bare and wet corners (dry corners too) and have better steering feel and corner traction than the all season OEM tires. Much of it is personal preference, geographical differences, balance of snow/ice to bare pavement, balance of treadwear (durability) to ice traction, etc. Some people are happy to replace their tires every 8,000 miles if it will get them the winter performance they crave, others want to trade ultimate winter performance for a tire that will last multiple seasons.

Latest posts

Back