Thoughts on these wheels?

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Looking to upgrade wheelsfound a handful but not sure about fitment and would love to get your opinion.

1st is: 20x8.5 Silver Wheels 5x4.5 (offset +35)
$(KGrHqJHJFEFI,wCid)8BSJ7C)4Ezw~~60_1.JPG

2nd is: CX-9 20" OEM Factory wheels 20x7.5 (offset +45)
$(KGrHqZ,!lgFHPe7(E6vBR03pH)fE!~~60_57.JPG

3rd is: 20x8.5 Black TSW 5x4.5 (offset +40)
$T2eC16RHJGMFFpboJOrzBR-WbC1WpQ~~60_1.JPG

4th is: 20x9 Silver 5x4.5 (offset +35)
$T2eC16Z,!)kE9s4,BE(iBRtl2FDro!~~60_1.JPG

All good choices, though I would prefer the TSWs in silver (IMO, with some notable exceptions, the current black wheel craze sucks). I've wondered about those larger CX-9 wheels; does anyone know if they will fit CX-5?

I have no idea on any of these whether they will fit the CX-5.

I'm hoping members of this forum can tell me based on size and offset (dunno)

Someone put the CX-9 wheel & OEM CX-9 tires on the CX-5.
I can't seem to find the thread but look for it.

I would stay away from #3.. that is a very common aftermarket rim, #1 looks tight, but chrome wheels really depend on your car color/exterior trim imo. (I don't think chrome wheels would genrally go well with the CX-5 unless maybe you put those chromes trims on it, but that would probably just look tacky). OEM wheels, nty (although the cheapest route). What color is your c-5?

I would stay away from #3.. that is a very common aftermarket rim, #1 looks tight, but chrome wheels really depend on your car color/exterior trim imo. (I don't think chrome wheels would genrally go well with the CX-5 unless maybe you put those chromes trims on it, but that would probably just look tacky). OEM wheels, nty (although the cheapest route). What color is your c-5?

My CX-5 is white. I agree with you...I think #1 will look good but do you think the size and offset will be okay?
In terms of tire size with #1, I was thinkin of doing 255/45-20 or 265/45-20

What about this one...tirerack

The offset is better than #1?

Last edited:
Yeah going from 50 to 35 is a lot. Offset measurements depends on the width of the wheel also.
Measure how far in the fender the OEM wheels sit.
Put a flat surface(flattened cardboard box) against the face of the wheel & use a tape measure to measure from the flat surface to the inside lip of the fender.

Dang, those 20" CX-9 wheels do look sharp.
I kind of dig how it retains an OE appearance.

No to the TSWs. Don't cheapen the appearance of your classy CUV with dark wheels. It is a played out appearance.

As for a +35et offset, I'll bet you'd be fine. Though, +35et w/ a 9" width is getting pretty aggressive. Not sure what the limits are on the CX-5, as it doesn't appear anybody has really attempted to have tested them.
Spacing the wheel face 15 MM from the hub really isn't much, especially on the CX-5, which places the face very far inside the body with the OE wheels, also has a rather large wheel well area and sits a good distance from the ground.

I think the bargain here would be the CX-9 wheels, assuming you can find a good pre-owned set. Otherwise, I like the first set. 8.5" is a good width and a better match with the +35et offset. You can accommodate a 245 series tire on an 8.5" wheel. No sense in going beyond that. You'll compromise the car's excellent efficiency, and possibly rub.

Are you open to rolling the fenders?

Can the CX-5 fenders be rolled? I the the plastic cladding goes all the way in.
I guess you can cut the plastic. I'll have to take a look tonight.

Dang, those 20" CX-9 wheels do look sharp.
I kind of dig how it retains an OE appearance.

No to the TSWs. Don't cheapen the appearance of your classy CUV with dark wheels. It is a played out appearance.

As for a +35et offset, I'll bet you'd be fine. Though, +35et w/ a 9" width is getting pretty aggressive. Not sure what the limits are on the CX-5, as it doesn't appear anybody has really attempted to have tested them.
Spacing the wheel face 15 MM from the hub really isn't much, especially on the CX-5, which places the face very far inside the body with the OE wheels, also has a rather large wheel well area and sits a good distance from the ground.

I think the bargain here would be the CX-9 wheels, assuming you can find a good pre-owned set. Otherwise, I like the first set. 8.5" is a good width and a better match with the +35et offset. You can accommodate a 245 series tire on an 8.5" wheel. No sense in going beyond that. You'll compromise the car's excellent efficiency, and possibly rub.

Are you open to rolling the fenders?

What do you think of these: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...el=CX-5&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=Touring+AWD

Link isn't working, if that's the wheel customized for your car, it wont show up.

See attached picture...shows size and offset.
Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 10.49.15 PM.png

Size: 20x8.5
Offset: 42mm
Backspacing: 6.38"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114
Rec. Tire Size: 235/45-20
Weight: 28.7lbs.
Finish: Machined w/Anthracite Accent

Price seems reasonable?

Back