New Member Introduction

D_Frost

:
2014 CX-5 Touring AWD
Hi all, I've recently purchased a 2014 CX-5 Touring AWD in Pearl White (thanks to many folks here with great insight and reviews). I've been enjoying the CX-5 very much and seemed to have been bitten by the mod bug (again), but hopefully not as badly as my other car.

So far on the list is:

Tints
LED fog grille
Morimoto HID kit

Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you all!

Thanks! I promised myself not to mod the CX-5... but after checking out the SEMA CX-5's, that kinda went out the window. Hopefully once I'm done with the rest of the list, I can stop with the mods ;)

The rest of the list:
Wheels
Suspension
Exhaust

So much for not modding :)

I am using this forum to make my final decision on purchasing a 2014 cx5 gt awd and with or without tech pkg. I already see some things I want to "mod" plus I have a set of 19" rims that I think will look good. I currently have a 2012 mazdaspeed3 (paid off) and need something for a family vehicle as I have a small child. so long story short just stoppin' in to say HI to all and thanks for all the info!!!!!! any quick pros or cons I should look for on my test drive???

So tonight I got around to installing a pair of LED headlight bulbs purchased off eBay a couple weeks ago (stock photo linked as I don't have the auction link ready offhand):
pt1141978-2014_new_20w_automotive_h11_single_led_headlight_with_cree_chip_led.jpg

Haven't gotten around to taking pictures as it's past midnight but I moved over to these LEDs from Morimoto XB35 HID (4300K)from TRS. This quest started when another vendor was selling H11 LED headlight bulbs. I was curious to see if LEDs are truly ready for prime time headlight duty. The bulbs fit in fairly easily (especially after you have tried installing HID bulbs on a non-tech). Took all of maybe 15 minutes to remove my HID kit and put in these LEDs.

Observations so far:
  • Light output against the wall is fairly close to HIDs
  • Pattern and cutoff is similar to the HIDs
  • It's nice to not have ballasts (or a relay) as everything is enclosed inside the heat sink behind the LED
  • The bulb is hefty, all surfaces I can see (besides the emitters) are metal
  • Documentation indicates the bulbs use Cree XM-L emitters (and they're bright)
  • The light output is indicated on the packaging as 6000K but it is whiter than most 6000K HID kits I've seen
  • Instant on to full brightness (whereas HIDs need to warm up)

Yet to determine:

• Throw distance of the headlight
  • Longevity/reliability of the bulbs
  • Glare
  • Ability to light up reflective signs and road markers

The shows are now on. Advanti Racing HY - Hybris 19x8.5 ET 45 (flow formed) with 245/50/19.

Thanks. Yes, definitely an upgrade :)

(hi) welcome, looking good! You mention upgrading to Morimoto HIDS. Why didn't you get the tech pack? The adaptive bi-xenons are awesome!
I am using this forum to make my final decision on purchasing a 2014 cx5 gt awd and with or without tech pkg. I already see some things I want to "mod" plus I have a set of 19" rims that I think will look good. I currently have a 2012 mazdaspeed3 (paid off) and need something for a family vehicle as I have a small child. so long story short just stoppin' in to say HI to all and thanks for all the info!!!!!! any quick pros or cons I should look for on my test drive???

A member notice a big lump on the passenger airbag side, may have been sitting in the sun too long. Some members complain of driver mirror shake, but a minor shake at high speed is normal, I assume they are talking about badly shaking (shrug). Early model '15s have no blinker light on the front of mirrors while mid-15s have a frost clear strip light on the front side.

Last edited:
nice, good stuff to add to a year old thread XD what else do you have planned?

At this point it's lowered in H&R's... Once I'm done messing with the LED headlights, I may be done. This was supposed to be a car that I promised I wouldn't mod (thus the lack of updates) ;)

(hi) welcome, looking good! You mention upgrading to Morimoto HIDS. Why didn't you get the tech pack? The adaptive bi-xenons are awesome!

A member notice a big lump on the passenger airbag side, may have been sitting in the sun too long. Some members complain of driver mirror shake, but a minor shake at high speed is normal, I assume they are talking about badly shaking (shrug). Early model '15s have no blinker light on the front of mirrors while mid-15s have a frost clear strip light on the front side.

I would've gotten the tech pack but was overruled since it's not my main vehicle :)

At this point it's lowered in H&R's... Once I'm done messing with the LED headlights, I may be done. This was supposed to be a car that I promised I wouldn't mod (thus the lack of updates) ;)

I believe once a person realizes he/she likes their vehicle a certain way, they will always mod their vehicles to their liking (thumb) btw, would like to see some pics on wall and road of your LEDs.

I believe once a person realizes he/she likes their vehicle a certain way, they will always mod their vehicles to their liking (thumb) btw, would like to see some pics on wall and road of your LEDs.

Agreed. I just couldn't stand how much wheel gap there is. It was a bit of a gamble on how much comfort would be lost (and how much of an earful I will get) when going with the H&R's. LEDs have been decent but a bit more blue at 6000K than I would like. The performance (besides being a bit blue) is fairly close to the halogens. So I'm not 100% convinced that it is a major upgrade (except for bulb life and maybe energy savings). Currently trying to reintegrate the LED DRL to dim when the LED headlight turns on. The on wall and road LED shots are coming soon (time to break out the SLR) :)

Back