TPMS Won't Reset!!!

Diamond Dave

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
First post from this newbie relative to my daughter's 2014 CX-5 Touring. Before I begin, I did in fact use the search function. Plenty of threads in the past few years on the TPMS system and the light going off, but I didn't see any posts where someone couldn't reset the system.

Some quick background. I bought the car a few months ago and it has less than 4,000 miles. We live in Texas where it's still hot, hot, HOT so there
haven't been any sweeping temperature fluctuations. I'm a gear head who owns far too many tools and I've checked the tires cold with a decent gauge. Inspected all four tires as well for nails, screws, etc. Nothing. They are set to 36 psi per the door sticker. Checking the tires cold the following morning confirms 36 psi at all four corners. Finally, I have indeed read the "F-ing" manual (;)) and have followed these instructions to the letter of the law:

Initialization Process:
- Park the vehicle in a safe place and firmly apply the parking brake.
- Let the tires cool, then adjust the tire pressure to the specified pressure (Refer to Owners Manual for correct tire pressure) on all four (4) tires.
- Switch the ignition ON, but leave the vehicle parked.
- Push and hold the TPMS Set Switch (left side of dash) until the TPMS warning light in the instrument cluster flashes twice and a beep sound is heard once.
The initialization is complete.

I press the reset button and note that the warning light does not flash twice but only once. It briefly goes away but the orange warning light comes back on within a second or two. I also fail to hear a beep.

Most importantly, this occurred about a week ago and I took it in to the dealer. The mechanic hooked up their Mazda diagnostic computer and reset it that way. He imparted that sometimes they just get "stuck" in the warning mode and require a trip to the dealer to clear the light. Well, obviously it's back for a second time.

Has anyone else experienced this same difficulty with the TPMS not resetting? Is there a TSB I should be aware of? Even though it took the tech less than five minutes to clear the light I'd hate to continually drive to the dealership to have this rectified.

My thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Regards!

David :)

Mine was doing that, and it wouldn't reset with the tpms reset. Then I remembered the maintenance calendar setup reminder. Mine was set to 4 months. I fumbled around in the setup settings, I don't remember the options, but it hasn't returned since. I did leave it set for a 4 month reminder, so I should see it again in November.

Last edited:
Mine was doing that, and it wouldn't reset with the tpms reset. Then I remembered the maintenance calendar setup reminder. Mine was set to 4 months. I fumbled around in the setup settings, I don't remember the options, but it hasn't returned since. I did leave it set for a 4 month reminder, so I should see it again in November.

Exactly what happened to me too. I finally just turned it off completely and check my pressure on my own once per month.

Yes i know but each wheel has its own sensor, they are just external vs internal. There are 4, and they can go bad.
Ahhh, well you said "sensor on a tire" :)

The wheel speed sensors are also used for anti-lock brakes and ESC. If they go bad you'll have more troubles than just the tire pressure alert. You could test them by braking hard (making sure ALB kicks in) or driving hard in slippery conditions (just kidding).

Interesting point though.... I wonder if the TPMS system will work as an early warning for a speed sensor(s) fault. Most other cars (that I've owned, anyway) will not detect/alert issues in the speed sensors. Hmmm.

Sorry for not responding sooner to my own post but this was the answer to my TPMS issue. Thank you so much Big Bopper! As we say in Texas, I owe you a cold pop....

I went in to the Maintenance area and looked at the calendar reminder for the TPMS. It was set to "1 Month". I changed it to "4" and the orange warning light went off. Voila!!!!

Thanks again to those on this forum. I'm learning a great deal about the car. Hopefully this will assist someone with a similar issue in future.

Back