2014 CX-5 car jerks when shifting gears

I picked up my new CX-5 on Tuesday night and I have noticed that the cars jerks quite noticeably every time the car shifts gears (it's an automatic).
Is that normal or is it something I should have the car serviced for?

I have noticed that as well in the beginning. The most noticeable was when I would take my foot off the gas and coast. It would jerk especially when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. It would (rarely) jerk when I would accelerate really slowly. That was when the car had between 200-700km. All those went away gradually, I don't think I feel it as much now, maybe not at all. Car has 4100km now.

Last edited:
I picked up my new CX-5 on Tuesday night and I have noticed that the cars jerks quite noticeably every time the car shifts gears (it's an automatic).
Is that normal or is it something I should have the car serviced for?

I'd take it in, my is smooth and serene enough that the only way to tell its shifting gears is by the tach.

I'd take it in, my is smooth and serene enough that the only way to tell its shifting gears is by the tach.

Undergrad, if you do take it in, please keep us posted on what they manage to find out.

The automatic transmission requires a "learning process" so the computer can determine the exact tolerances in the clutch/brake packs that do the shifting so that it will shift smoothly. It is likely that this was not done or not done properly for your car. Over time it should self correct itself but if it was mine I would ask the dealer to repeat the process or read the service manual available on line for the process and do it myself.

The automatic transmission requires a "learning process" so the computer can determine the exact tolerances in the clutch/brake packs that do the shifting so that it will shift smoothly. It is likely that this was not done or not done properly for your car. Over time it should self correct itself but if it was mine I would ask the dealer to repeat the process or read the service manual available on line for the process and do it myself.
That makes perfect sense. I have to take it in for some other work today anyways so I will see what they say.

Speaking of CX5 automatic transmissions...anyone know if there's a reflash/mod available to make it not upshift (from 1st to 2nd) so quickly when taking off from a stop?

I realize this is probably to maximize fuel economy, but I feel it actually just makes me step on the throttle harder (which is kinda defeating the purpose, right?) since the car is so slow/weak off the line under "normal" driving. I live in Hawaii (an island), so I'm not too concerned w/ the fuel economy. I just find it a little irritating that I have to throttle harder to get going. Does that make sense?

Other than taking off from stops, the rest of the driving experience has been great...LOVE this car! ^0^

Thanks in advance for any input!

I just find it a little irritating that I have to throttle harder to get going. Does that make sense?

Since you asked, no, that does not make sense.

It is no more difficult to push the pedal 3/4 of the way down than it is to push it just a little bit. Just drive it so it responds as desired.

Is it different from most other cars? Yes, because most cars are set up to play games with power delivery, at low rpm's they often give full throttle with much less than full throttle being applied to the throttle pedal. The CX-5 offers more linear control. Once you learn how the car responds to different throttle inputs it will perform how you want.

Back