New White CX-5 - Rust Proofing

I'm happy to say I picked up my 2014 CX-5 GS earlier tonight. After a close inspection I noticed some yellow gunk on the bottom of the interior doors/trunk. I asked the salesman about it and he said it was normal and because of the rust proofing procedure they did. It looks absolutely terrible and I spent a few minutes trying to clean it off when I got home.. Can anyone suggest a way to remove this stuff from the interior doors? If I don't have any luck doing it myself I will have to take it back to the dealership and have them deal with it. I have had my vehicle rust proofed before, but I have never seen anything like this. Here are a few photos of the residue I'm talking about

Jesus, that is 100% unacceptable. I wouldn't try yourself, take it back to the dealership immediately.

Why on earth would you let them rust proof your car? The metallurgy of cars has changed a lot in the last 20 years, and all modern cars come sealed plenty that it's no longer necessary to do such a thing. It's a complete scam and rip-off, just FYI.

Anyway, they botched it bad, ridiculous that they would consider that acceptable.

But seriously, get that back to the dealer ASAP, and if they can't clean it off, refuse to take the car, that's insane.

The rust proofing was bundled in with another interior package I purchased. I have a 70lb doberman rottweiler and the package I got protects the seats from any terrors or stains.
I went in this morning to have it looked at and the service advisor said it looked like they just didn't clean the car properly. Not to mention that they also forgot to laser etch in the security information.
Despite this incident I absolutely love the new car. I picked up the U-Guard 3D MAXpider Floor Liner Full Set in Black and they look fantastic!

Yeah, that's brutal. Don't they know that the rust proofing is supposed to go INSIDE the panels? I've rust proofed cars before in my youth as an auto detailer and I can't even imagine how they made that much of a mess.

I just got off the highway while on my way to work and I noticed that my driver side Window is vibrating.. I just downloaded the service bulletin onto my phone. Looks like the car is going to get some love from the auto mechanic's at mazda this weekend.

That looks like crap. Take it back and tell them to make it look new. Mine did not look like that after getting it rust proof.

They would have to pay me a few grand to have them brush on some nasty urethane looking slob on my jambs and call it "rust proofing". That is just poor business practice and very unprofessional.

Skip the laser-etching too, unnecessary and grossly over-priced.

Agreed, ALL the extra things they sell you, rustproofing, laser etching, etc, and the 'tear' warranty. I've had friends who have had it, and in EVERY case, it was a huge battle to collect or get the dealer to do anything. They find excuses why your case falls outside the 'claim parameters' etc. To each his own, but I would never buy one, and I would never let them rust proof my car, having read plenty of articles that say it can actually do more harm than good.

But at least yes make them clean that up, you deserve a car that looks brand new.

I took in the car this afternoon and they etched in the security information and completely forgot to clean the interior portion of the doors and trunk. They did however clean the outside of the vehicle which was perfectly fine.... Now I have to go back to the dealership on Saturday morning for a second time. I also had them look at the drivers side mirror because I noticed it was vibrating a lot while I was driving on the highway. He said it's fine, but it doesn't sound like they did anything to it. I suppose I will find out first thing tomorrow morning when I get to work.

One other thing I have noticed is that when the car switches gears (it's automatic) the car lurches. Hopefully it's just the engine being worked in, but I'm not really sure about it. Any feedback on this would be great!
Besides these few annoyances with the car I absolutely love the vehicle and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Agreed, ALL the extra things they sell you, rustproofing, laser etching, etc, and the 'tear' warranty. I've had friends who have had it, and in EVERY case, it was a huge battle to collect or get the dealer to do anything. They find excuses why your case falls outside the 'claim parameters' etc. To each his own, but I would never buy one, and I would never let them rust proof my car, having read plenty of articles that say it can actually do more harm than good.

But at least yes make them clean that up, you deserve a car that looks brand new.

I think its funny to have a guys from San francisco telling everyone that rust proofing is pure junk. Dont get me wrong, the job they have done to your car is completely crap.

Yes, yes car are alot more rust proof then they use to be decade ago, but living where you get crazy winter like eastern canada where they use salt on the road everywhere, YOU NEED ANTI RUST if you want to keep your car for a longgggggggggggggggggggggggg time.

Last edited:
With the snow and the salt we get on the roads I figured it was worth while.. Plus I plan on keeping this vehicle for 10+ years if possible.

Exactly what im thinking, i went with Krown rust proofing treatment. Keeping it 10 years also my goal. The only downside is that is that its messy during like a month until it leak and dry off.

Exactly what im thinking, i went with Krown rust proofing treatment. Keeping it 10 years also my goal. The only downside is that is that its messy during like a month until it leak and dry off.
I have used Krown in the past without any issues and no yellow gunk :p I just can't wait for the toxic smell to stop.

Except I grew up, and also spend a lot of time back in Minnesota, and come from a family of 'car' people. The truth is the steel used in cars 20 years ago isn't the same steel they use today, which is much more rust resistant. Read a few articles, and you'll 'mostly' find that rustproofing isn't recommended anymore. If you want to do it fine.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/03/16/five-costly-car-dealer-options-to-skip/

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/03/should-you-rust-proof-your-new-car.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-life/should-i-rust-proof-my-new-car/article624237/

You'll see that about the only place it seems is even remotely recommended anymore is the wheel wells.

I don't recommend going with the dealer rust proofing because that just gravy for the them. I like to see the vehicle from the people who wrote the article after 10 years living where we're and see what it look like, I doubt they even keep car that long and what happen after 5 years, the manufacture assume you would replace your car by then I guess? My other car is 13 years and hardly any rust on it and I don't wash it monthly or after driving on salty road either. Not to endorse anything but Krown is a good idea if you want to keep your car for a long time and you live in eastern Canada.

That's really poor, I actually read ya story over on the TO M3 forums.....generally that dealership gets great reviews from the guys over there, and I had planned to purchase my CX5 through them

Hope they clean your car, and throw in some accessories for your time!

They cleaned up the majority of the mess but they forgot to clean up under the hood and where you insert the gas. Sadly they didn't toss in anything for my troubles. I have to go back a third time to get my driver side mirror replaced. To top it off I had to leave work early to pick it up because I wouldn't be able to get a shuttle back to MOT at 5:00.

They cleaned up the majority of the mess but they forgot to clean up under the hood and where you insert the gas. Sadly they didn't toss in anything for my troubles. I have to go back a third time to get my driver side mirror replaced. To top it off I had to leave work early to pick it up because I wouldn't be able to get a shuttle back to MOT at 5:00.

Damn! What happened to your mirror?

I certainly hope the sales experience doesn't ruin ya feelings for the car! As from my brief test drives its a great thing!!!

Hopefully the service improves!!!

Back