Factory Remote Start: easy installation??

Wklig2

:
2013 CX-5 GT: Stormy Blue
Is it true that I could purchase the Factory Remote Start (on mazdagear etc.) and install it myself fairly easily utilizing existing wiring? I read it here once ...and just wanted to see how many have tried it. I have a 2013 CX5 GT that my wife mainly drives. She'd just like to keep the Fob inside the house for warming up the car on our cold mornings here in New England. I'd like to stay away from a dealer experience if possible (especially if it's an easy, plug-and-play type install). I'm fairly competent with electronics, installed aftermarket stereo head units etc.

Any experience/advice you could share would be appreciated! Thanks.

I am facing the same dilemma. Yes, the unit can be purchased separately but the installation can be quite involved nevertheless.
I do have an option to hire non-dealer known installer for about $150. If this is the price, I'll probably let him do the install. It'll be much quicker and professionally made than if I did attempt it myself.

Looking at the instructions posted above... Yes, it looks involved, with multiple steps. But none of the steps look difficult and a reasonably proficient DIY'er shouldn't have any difficulty.

Got mine dealer installed. Works great. Not sure how complicated it is to do. My biggest complaints: the new bigger key fob remote doesn't replace the factory key fob (and I don't understand why this can't be done on a 2014 vehicle), and the engine shuts off as soon as a door opens (on all my previous cars, it would shut off when I put my foot on the brake OR I could insert the key and drive away without starting the engine a second time).

Got mine dealer installed. Works great. Not sure how complicated it is to do. My biggest complaints: the new bigger key fob remote doesn't replace the factory key fob (and I don't understand why this can't be done on a 2014 vehicle), and the engine shuts off as soon as a door opens (on all my previous cars, it would shut off when I put my foot on the brake OR I could insert the key and drive away without starting the engine a second time).

No way.. Really?? I'm not liking the fact that I would have to carry both keys, kinda tacky. Well there goes my option to purchase it on 2015 model. (doh)

I got an estimate from a local installer to install a basic aftermarket one yesterday, which came to $400. I then called the dealer to see what they would charge...$700

I usually pay $300, so I figured I would look up the price of an OEM one and put it in myself since I am pretty good at this stuff (used to be a mechanic) until I saw the parts alone came to $640! That $400 is looking pretty good now.

whoa..

so if you start the vehicle when youre inside the house, when you go to enter the vehicle, it will shut off ? not a big deal...but why ?

and then if you buy one of the after market ones..Viper's or whatever, would they do that too ? Shut off if a door opens?

whoa..

so if you start the vehicle when youre inside the house, when you go to enter the vehicle, it will shut off ? not a big deal...but why ?

and then if you buy one of the after market ones..Viper's or whatever, would they do that too ? Shut off if a door opens?

I've had aftermarket ones on other cars before and they only shut off if/when the brake was pressed. It's frustrating that the Mazda system shuts off when a door is opened. Hard on the starter, too.

I need to get one installed before the winter. Have researched this for some time.

Aftermarket one - had to have extra key fob present, so basically the spare key fob has to be installed permenently in the cabin. Apparently, they have not been able to overcome this yet.

Factory remote - IF this is true that it shuts off the engine once the door is open, it really blows. The cost is roughtly 200% of normal aftermaket remote start so I'd go with aftermerket anyway.

Once they figure out the way to get by w/out spare fob in the cabin, I'll do aftermerket one for sure.

Can you post picture of the remote start side by side with the car remote please. Just want to see how much bigger the remote start is. I was talking to one of the aftermarket buy here in Ottawa and he said he can do it without another remote, I just need to press unlock 3 times with the Mazda car remote and the car only shut off when I press on the brake. I will drop by the shop to make sure this is true before I install it. Sound like this is better than the OEM one.

...and he said he can do it without another remote, I just need to press unlock 3 times with the Mazda car remote and the car only shut off when I press on the brake. I will drop by the shop to make sure this is true before I install it. Sound like this is better than the OEM one.

What brand did he talk about? No extra remote would be a good thing for sure.

I have the factory starter in my 2013 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech Package. If you have the push-button start, I would not recommend a non-Mazda starter.

After about 5 visits to the dealership (where I was told nothing was wrong), and a TSB last February with new software for the remotes (I have 2), they finally replaced the defective start/stop unit that they installed at the port and it works fine. YMMV, but I would not try installing it myself.

Back