2014 cx5 gt p1137 code

Nick3434

:
2014 cx5
Hi guys, I am new here and I love forums and online communities, I just wish I signed up for this one under different circumstances.

So, I have 900 miles on a new cx5(love it so far) and check engine light comes on. Take it in and it is p1137 for running lean. Their answer is change the sensor. So they do, and now the light is on and the code is p1138 or running rich. So their answer is to change the second sensor(I am guessing post cat). That will happen Monday.

Any thoughts on this for a brand new vehicle?

My real problem is that the dealer is incompetent and I have been lied too since it has been there and the icing in the cake is they are rude as well. Now I am dealing with it calmly so far and it will just never go back there, but I did call and ask that they disclose the codes because I was concerned that they worked on it and another code came up that was the opposite Of why it went in. I also have zero confidence in their ability, and I also am expecting for them to temporarily disable the CEL and give it back to me if the next sensor doesn't work if they can do that. Zero trust right now, so I am hoping someone here may have a better idea.

Oh yeah, and I noticed on my loaner cx5 that the mudflaps were installed half ass by not popping the tabs on the back ones and they skipped 2 screws that hold them in place. I just put flaps on mine so it was obvious when I saw it walking away in a parking lot. This is just an indication confirming my suspicions of the kind of quality coming out of the dealer, won't spend extra 8 minutes to install them right.........

I thought of this mike from my now extensive research on the codes and o2 sensors, however it happenned with literally 65 miles to empty from a full tank. Not sure if this matters or not. You would think if this was a possibility they would have put in more fuel or additive or something, but like I said, they are disappointingly lazy and not smart, and that is just the glimpse I have had. Also, how in the world do they have a lean code change an o2 sensor, and the CEL goes from running lean to running rich? Like the exact opposite problem from a new sensor?? If that is all true(remember been lied too) then that means it can't be many suspects like injectors as they would have to fail in one direction or other. CPU could be to blame based on sensors input??

What scares me is that I found an article on o2 sensors and it specifically says that changing the post cat sensor(what I am 90% sure they are doing as plan b) is not a solution for a rich or lean code.....the article seems well written and informed and it is a website soley for cel codes etc. I run CNC machines at work, and sensor errors are common, but why not address the fact the sensor was right while waiting for the new one to come in and check the 5 things that would make it say what it is?

I am pretty smart and mechanically inclined and although cars are not my thing, I worked on my first 2 and have done minor stuff like changed alternators, trans filters, spark plugs always do my own oil etc. and that was pre you tube with the big book hahaha. Anyway, I know enough to realize how poorly this is being handled, but I also know enough to not be freaking out and counting down the days(not many left...) I can evoke lemon law rights. I will be making sure I have all proper documentation when I do get it back though.

Robert, I already said it never going to this dealer again, but I just bought it there 4 weeks ago so it was logical this was where it went first.

Last edited:
I had something similar happen with another vehicle and the problem resolved itself after a couple of weeks. Instead of changing the o2 sensor I decided maybe it was telling me the truth and it was rich. Anyway, like Mike said - a bad tank of gas or some other anomaly is what I attributed my problem to. I think I cleared the codes two or three times and the codes stopped

Last edited:
Thanks GK. Yeah, the dealer made the call on the sensors, I had to bring it in to have the cel codes even read as I had no idea why it came on. I am almost wondering now if Running a tank of premium through it wouldn't work itself out. The car had NO noticeable changes whatsoever in terms of engine behavior. I think it is funny to have a sensor to warn you about something and when that sensor lights up, the first thing to do is replace the sensor....I know that is the easiest thing to verify, but it is still bothersome that while the sensor was coming, the actual problem it signified wouldn't be checked for.

I need to just get a code reader. Now that I know the can of worms being opened I would rather make sure it is beyond my capability before dropping it off there. I gotta say, I have had fords and toyotas before this and my experience has always been that you pay up the butt at a dealer, but they always get it done right and fast(well, toyotas NEVER went in for service through 200,000 except recall work once, but the fords were no strangers to needing frequent work past 80,000...shocker). This experience is the opposite of that, but I also know it Is the local level dealer and nothing to do with Mazda persay other than their dealers represent them.

The seor is probably telling the truth and is the effect not the cause. Could actually be a bad cat.

Sourcing a Mazda specific error code diagnosis for both codes, I am not sure what led them to the primary O2S to begin with.

P1137 HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 2 Not Switching (Fuel Control Limit Reached)
P1138 HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 2 Signal Above 0.45v (A/F Ratio Too Rich)

My guess would be a defective secondary O2S sensor, or an issue with the sensor circuit (open or short).
With the ECU recognizing a problem w/ the secondary 02S, you may or may not experience performance issues. The role of the secondary O2S is to monitor the effectiveness and health of the primary exhaust catalyst. With the cat/s being virtually brand new, I'd guess it is the sensor that is at fault.
Your primary O2S is what is used by the ECU in closed loop control operation to regulate combustion AFR. Typically, you'll notice an effect in drivaebility when that one fails.

I would let them continue their parts swapping, or, you could attempt to go out of your way to try a different dealer. But, regarding the repair, any other dealer will likely come to the same conclusion, and attempt to swap a new sensor in.

Last edited:
Thanks groceries!

I looked that up as well, I didn't correlate sensor 2 with post cat sensor.....I instead figured it was one of the 2 primary bank sensors, I am not a mechanic..... The way you just broke it down makes sense and it is not surprising it clearly says sensor 2 and the dealer replaced sensor 1 to start???? Argh. Today(allegedly) they will have the second sensor and are replacing it. I do feel better that you confirmed it being a post cat sensor as like you said that eliminates any real problems I read could be related to the primary sensor and confines it basically to emissions or cat problems, which I think cats are simple enough to where having a bad one on a new car is highly unlikely?

I will keep you guys updated. I am really staring to miss my ride, but on the upside, I am driving the hell out of the loaner cx5 to basically get some confidence back in this car, on one i dont care if i brake, and she is taking it like a champ!

I have always found it interesting that dealer mechanics often don't fix it the first time but, almost always the second time. Then I remembered they get paid for both tries and if they don't fix it the third time, the owner is looking at the lemon law. My CX7 was taken in with the error code in hand, stating low fuel pressure-change pump. The dealer changed an O2 sensor and within 20 miles the CEL was back on. This time they changed the fuel pump and no more CEL. Interesting coincidence. Ed

Well, I haven't heard from them today. I guess I am going to call. I am getting irritated that I have called them 4 times since it has been in to them calling me once to keep me informed. I am presuming that the second sensor is not in, or it didn't work.......

Part didn't come in..... What are the odds that they being full aware of lemon law would buy time and do other things rather than disclose another attempt failing? Like they would still ring up Mazda for warranty work and free parts and paid labor, but not disclose to me everything that was done? More likely they just lie about when parts get in, it would have been easier for him to just say hopefully Tuesday last Friday....

The dealership couldn't care less about lemon laws. A lemon law claim would be made against Mazda, not the dealership.

Does the FL lemon law include a "time in shop" clause? If so, and if you are thinking about a lemon claim, the dealership might actually be doing you a favor by holding your car while waiting for a part to come in....

Also, because of lemon laws, the documentation they give you will almost always match what they submit to Mazda. It'd be really costly for the dealership if you had a repair order that didn't match what Mazda had on record... (As well, if they performed work that they didn't document to you, they'd also be violating Federal warranty laws...) Remember that, for warranty work, the dealership is representing Mazda... so if the dealership screws up, Mazda is responsible. (Of course, Mazda would likely go after the dealership - but that's not your problem.)

What I'd do in your shoes would be to find the post on these forums that links to the mazda service manuals. Then I'd find the DTC code your getting and see if what the service manual states matches (or could match) what the dealership is telling you. If they DON'T match, once I had my car back from that dealership, I'd call Mazda's corporate customer service number and complain. (I'd also never go back to that dealership again.)

If they DO match, then the dealership is only following directions...

Good luck and take care
Gary

That makes sense on dealer and lemons. I am just irritated that I have had a car for like 28 days and after that it is now 9 in service because of what I think is something stupid. I am NOT kicking up a fuss because Florida lemon law is time in shop, which I am racking up nicely so I agree with that. I think that they are doing the proper protocol and I can't check codes(yet, I am getting a reader) but there are not lying about the problem(s). I just am ready for it to be over and I really like everything about my cx5 and don't want to invoke a lemon law, especially over something stupid.

Would writing a letter to Mazda do anything for me as far as just explaining my frustration with making payments on a new car that they can't figure out how to fix??? I am really not one of those people looking for freebies or whatever, but at the same time, I have a business and this is a bad scene for you to put your client in. Actually I have been so chill probably because I do have a business and do deal with machines! My patience is just wearing. One week, whatever, going on 2 weeks is becoming very reasonable for me to not be thrilled and second guess everything they are doing even though most of it I am sure is just dealer laziness/rudeness combined with mazdas list of what to do in order and nothing in stock apparently?? first sensor took 4 business days to get in, this one is 3 minimum now...I would just think that this situation would call for a minimum of 2nd day shipping if not overnight...actually that kind of shipping is pretty standard for companies in machine service, so this is where dealer distrust comes in my mind. Can't believe Mazda who would eat it in lemon law ships parts at 3 and 4 business days when they only have 15 days to play with......

Would writing a letter to Mazda do anything for me as far as just explaining my frustration with making payments on a new car that they can't figure out how to fix???
My honest opinion is "no", it wouldn't do any good. By the time someone read the letter, you'd either have your car back, or you'd be at/past 15 days and writing a letter giving them their last chance to fix the problem (as per FL lemon law.)

However, giving them a phone call could possibly get someone's attention a bit early. This is what I think you are trying for, right? The number for mazda is 1-800-222-5500 (taken from the owner's manual, page 8-2.) Explain what you're posting here to them. Explain that you've lost all faith in the dealership, but they are holding your car so you're unable to take it to another dealership for service. Also explain that you would much rather just have the issues resolved without dealing with lemon laws. Just tell them the truth.

I'm not sure how Mazda works internally, but it's likely a similar model to other manufacturers. If so, the above phone call will trigger a corporate customer relations person to call the dealership that has your car. Dealerships do NOT like being on the radar of the manufacturer when it comes to unhappy customers. It's possible that your part will magically appear in the mail box (even at 3am on Sunday morning) and your car will get a bit of a bump in priority. Unhappy customers means that the manufacturer sends the dealership less money for incentives, more carefully scrutinizes the paperwork, etc.

When you pick up your car after it's fixed, be sure to ONLY accept it outside in sunlight - and to VERY CAREFULLY inspect the car before you even get into it. (I've had dealerships scratch up my cars... from parking it outside in a high traffic area, to an obvious belt buckle gouge from a mechanic leaning under the hood.)

Once you have your car back (even if its not completely fixed) don't EVER bring your car back to that dealership or a dealership owned by the same entity... They'll remember you. The next time you bring your car in, they might blame whatever has gone wrong on owner abuse or some other BS. There are MANY mazda dealerships in South Florida - find another one. (Oh, and when you find a service department you're happy with, let them do a couple lube jobs for you - the dealerships really don't make money on warranty work.)

Got it back today. They replaced the second sensor and said it went away, I hope that is the case and she is good to go.

They didnt mention reflashing the CPU or anything, however all of my audio presets went back to default, and the nav screen is a little different with the zoom icons so they did something that affected the computer that you see on the screen. Hopefully the nav update makes it suck less.......

Anyway, so happy to get my ride back, I really like it so much.

Back