'14 CX-5 GT - Loud harmonic vibration when reving between 2000-3000 RPM

craigo

Contributor
:
2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring
I have noticed a loud vibration that occurs when accelerating through 2000 to 3000 RPM in second gear. It sounds harmonic in nature, starts rather quiet then builds up to a loud buzz. As soon as the car upshifts to the next gear, it vanishes. It also only does it when coming off the line in that low gear.

It doesn't do it all the time, but fairly often. It is hard to tell where the noise is coming from, but it sounds like it is in front of the windshield, or possibly right around the windshield. The plastic panels all feel secure right around there, as do the engine covers.

Anyone heard this before? It's very noticeable.

Last edited:
I have noticed a loud vibration that occurs when accelerating through 2000 to 3000 RPM in first gear. It sounds harmonic in nature, starts rather quiet then builds up to a loud buzz. As soon as the car upshifts to the next gear, it vanishes. It also only does it when coming off the line in that low gear.

It doesn't do it all the time, but fairly often. It is hard to tell where the noise is coming from, but it sounds like it is in front of the windshield, or possibly right around the windshield. The plastic panels all feel secure right around there, as do the engine covers.

Anyone heard this before? It's very noticeable.

Sounds like you might be hearing the high pressure, direct injection. If so, completely normal. But I wouldn't describe it as loud or as a vibration (except to the extent that sound IS a vibration).

I had a similar sound driving me nuts until I tracked it down to the sun glasses in the overhead sunglass compartment! Took them out and the "harmonic" sound was gone.;)

I just made an update to the first post, it's actually second gear on the way to third. No sound at any other time.

The sound is loud, you can hear it over the stereo. Sounds like a substantial plastic-on-something buzz, as if it's a pretty large panel or object vibrating. It's hard to locate though because as soon as it shifts, it's gone.

I had a similar sound driving me nuts until I tracked it down to the sun glasses in the overhead sunglass compartment! Took them out and the "harmonic" sound was gone.;)

That's hilarious!

I had the same thing happen to me (and so did another member who was blaming the car until he sheepishly admitted his sunglasses were the problem).

It seems that some auto buyers these days are hyper-sensitive to the smallest perceived imperfection. Perhaps jumping to the conclusion that the fault is not of their own doing is a reflection of general discontentment in their lives. Especially when they become aware that the purchase of a new car does very little or nothing to remedy their general unhappiness with themselves and their situation.

That's hilarious!

I had the same thing happen to me (and so did another member who was blaming the car until he sheepishly admitted his sunglasses were the problem).

It seems that some auto buyers these days are hyper-sensitive to the smallest perceived imperfection. Perhaps jumping to the conclusion that the fault is not of their own doing is a reflection of general discontentment in their lives. Especially when they become aware that the purchase of a new car does very little or nothing to remedy their general unhappiness with themselves and their situation.

Wow. Perhaps a little over analytical. Your general expertise has now branched off into human psychology. Impressive! I don't know about the rest of you, but I bought my CX-5 for commuting and people hauling. LOL!

Though, I will agree about the hyper-sensitivity these days. But, that may have to do with the perception that the manufacturing industry has reached a pinnacle, and the cost of new cars is always rising. Both factors contribute to pretty high quality expectations from consumers.

Though, I will agree about the hyper-sensitivity these days. But, that may have to do with the perception that the manufacturing industry has reached a pinnacle, and the cost of new cars is always rising. Both factors contribute to pretty high quality expectations from consumers.

And it has to be hard for auto manufactures as cars get quieter and quieter all the noises that are still there stand out that much more. The Nissan Leaf has odd shaped headlights to help reduce wind noise at the mirrors because with no engine noise things like wind noise stand out more.

Along with getting quieter cars also keep getting more comfortable and have better sounding audio so it is no longer the rumbling down the road with a bad sounding stereo cranked up. We are wooshing along with far more of the dynamic range of the music getting to our ears so it is easier to feel interrupted by unwanted sounds.

I thought the AC Fan was fairly loud on the CX5 until I drove my old Tacoma again and it was twice as loud. But on the Tacoma the road and wind noise were also much louder so the AC wasn't as noticeable. But at just over $12,000 new I accepted a lot more from the Tacoma and expect more from the more than twice as expensive CX5. Ironically though when I see tests of super cars they often comment that they have all sorts of rattles, squeaks and wind noise.

And I had a rattle that I was chasing down and finally found to be the garage door opener.... Best advice is always remove everything not bolted down when trying to find a noise.

The freaking pysc thread now, LOL. Next might be drug recommendations.

But I hope craigo can have problem traced, since it's very loud and noticeable.

Cleaned out my console, glove compartment to make sure it wasn't inside the cabin. It's definitely forward of cabin.

Poking around some more under the hood, I found the plastic panel that surrounds the area where the hood latch is will make an easy rattle if you tap on it. It has a couple of plastic snap tabs, but is otherwise not particularly secure, bending easily in the middle and vibrates against the latch body.

I'm going to experiment with adding some foam around there.

Cleaned out my console, glove compartment to make sure it wasn't inside the cabin. It's definitely forward of cabin.

Poking around some more under the hood, I found the plastic panel that surrounds the area where the hood latch is will make an easy rattle if you tap on it. It has a couple of plastic snap tabs, but is otherwise not particularly secure, bending easily in the middle and vibrates against the latch body.

I'm going to experiment with adding some foam around there.

Temperature related? Does it only happen when cold in morning? Or at all temps?

Temperature related? Does it only happen when cold in morning? Or at all temps?

I'm in Texas, it's been awhile since we've had a cold morning! Probably have another couple of months to go :)

I'm in Texas, it's been awhile since we've had a cold morning! Probably have another couple of months to go :)

So it's the hot and muggy conditions where the sound surfaces, just kiddin... Not temp-related.

Hopefully it's consistent enough and something that the service department can hear when you take it in.

Turns out the easiest tweak was to just pop the 2 fasteners and remove the small panel around the hood latch. The part seems pretty unnecessary. That area looks like it has 3 layers of plastic covering over the radiator assembly that come together and they readily vibrate against each other with a tap. I can see how under certain conditions they might vibrate in harmony. Mazda should probably add a couple more fasteners or just use a single piece. In my experience, these plastic covers turn out to be the source of many squeaks and rattles as time goes on...

We'll see if this helps!

I get something similar, but since it goes away quickly I haven't bothered to track it down. I was thinking it was likely a heat shield under the car.

So, my idea of removing that little panel didn't help at all. No change. I'm going to try a couple of other things. It's only annoying because the engine is so smooth ordinarily, this occasional loud buzz harshes my mellow..

I'm cautiously optimistic that this involves the hood latch. I noted some play in the mechanism, so, as a temporary measure, I wrapped the hook on the hood with some gaffer's tape to mitigate any metal-on-metal vibration. Accelerating on an uphill part nearby that often invokes the buzz, I noted a sound, but far more muted.

I saw in another thread someone addressed hood vibration issues by turning out the rubber bumpers a fraction of a turn, thus adjusting the tension of the hood on the latch mechanism. That might be a more permanent solution, if indeed this is part of it.

It's been wonderfully quiet for a few days. Here's what I did: I turned the 4 rubber bumpers on the hood and body clockwise as far as they would go. I believe this lessens the tension on the hood.

First I tried turning them out (counter-clock). Buzzed like crazy. Even my girlfriend who drives an old beat up volvo commented on it. But going the opposite way silenced it.

Seems like it's a hood vibration issue. It's been very hot here lately (over 100) and I'm wondering if the bumpers expanded in the heat, exacerbating the issue. They also turn very easily in their seats... I'm curious to see if I have to occasionally reset their position.

Back