235/65/17 instead of 225's on stock rims?

DerlinStiles

:
2014 CX-5 Sport 2.0L Manual
I'm thinking about putting 235/65/17 's on my stock 17" rims. I'm not worried about performance, etc- I just think the wheels are a tad undersized and think a slightly beefier tire might help. Would they look stupid, too bloated, etc.? Anyone tried? Got pics?

(These tires would be ~1/2" larger in diameter and width. Speedometer would be +1.2mph @60mph)

If that's a look that pleases you, I doubt the car is going to sense much difference with that small a change.

Your gas mileage would likely suffer some with a heavier tire and higher polar moment of inertia.

That's not even a 2% increase in diameter- I doubt you'll notice a difference at the pump. If anything, you'll probably recover some of the speedometer error (usually reads 2-3% fast) that's built into practically every new car these days.

you will not notice any difference at the pump.....too small of a difference. I had the factory 17's and put on after market 18's with 235 and still get exactly 9.3L/100km

I am having the OE yokohamas replaced with 235/65R17 Hankook Dynapro ATM's on Friday. I will post some before and after pics. I've had the hankooks on a couple of other vehicles and they are awesome in the snow/rain and just about any other conditions. I wanted something that was a little tougher than the stock yoko's and better in light offroad/gravel conditions that I will encounter occasionally. Hopefully they will fill out the wheel wells a bit better too!

I stepped up one size: 225 to 235 19s. With my 8" wide rims and 40et, I think I nailed the perfect look/performance sweet spot.

I'll be getting a sport with 19" wheels and the look of the tyre / wheel width is the only negative comment I can make at the CX 5. The car would look so much better and more dynamic with some increase in tyre / wheel width. Though of course this may well be at the expense of cost / weight / mpg / road noise etc, etc.

Does anyone know how wide the 19" wheels are pls?

If your goal to to make the tire look wider, make sure you get a tire with a rim protector as well.

The same size tire with a rim protector will look wider.

RimProtectorRaised.jpg

If your goal to to make the tire look wider, make sure you get a tire with a rim protector as well.

RimProtectorRaised.jpg

Good point. My hankook dynapro ATMs have the rim protector. They definitely fill out the wheel wells better than the stock 225/65. I'll post some pics soon.

RimProtectorRaised.jpg

My goal is not to make the tyres look wider. Though I may consider running wider tyres. Rim protectors just stick out a little and are of course in the wrong place if one's goal is to have the appearence of wider tyres. The increase in width needs to be at the shoulders. ;)

Back