CX-5 Fog Light DRL DIY

smol84

:
cx5 maxx sport diesel
Has anyone had any luck installing these fog light DRL/LED kits:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I've ordered a pair and will be installing soon. I'm hoping someone has done this and possibly documented it so that I can follow the installation. If you have please let me know any tips... Otherwise please let me know if you are interested in me documenting and posting

UPDATED

So after the install I thought a quick write up would be helpful for others.

The steps are as follows:
1. Undo the screws for the fog lights under the body
2. Pop off the existing fog light covers, you can use your hands to push the plastic from behind OR use a small screw driver to pry from the front (be careful not to scratch your paint). I used a combo of the 2
3. Push the cables for the LEDs behind the fog light
4. Push in the led cover, it should snap into place
5. run the cables from the fusebox to the LEDs - i run it via the existing cable loom across the radiator
6. connect the cables behind the fog lights
7. Connect to fuse box (it connects to the only 10amp fuse in the box), Don't forget the earth wire needs to be connected just above the fuse box
8. Mount the led driver - I mounted it next to the fuse box
9. Test - turn on the car and they should turn on and off with the car
10. Re-do the screws under the car and you are done

Pics:
These are the screws you need to undo and just show your hand up there
attachment.php

You need to somehow squeexe the cable/connector for the LED into the gaps that surround the fog light, This took me a very long time - eventually it wriggled it into place
attachment.php

Connect into the 10amp fuse, 4th from the bottom (based on my Aus version Maxx Sport cx-5)
attachment.php

Test
attachment.php

Note, I haven't connected it so that it dims with the indicators and headlamps. If anyone knows how to do this please send me photos so that I can add it onto this post

For those who can read german (I cannot). There is also a handy guide on the german forum
http://www.cx5-forum.de/f10/einbauanleitung-led-tfl-2088.html

Last edited:
Absolutely interested to see how it went, installing this beautiful add-on to the CX-5!

Someone here has them. Just crimp the wires to existing DRL wires...

The problem is that in Australia we don't have DRLs... I wonder if the wiring harness is the same, perhaps I could look up the US wiring harness and compare to the Australian version. Does anyone know the wire colors or harness position for the US version?

Here's the link from the forum
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123831285-CX-5-Ebay-Fog-Assembly-DRLs

I had my installed as well. The hard part is to remove the OEM fog cover and to run the wires. Just follow the instruction from the package, not the best but it's ok. You don't need DRL to install this, it get the power from the instrument panel circuit. I had DRL and both of them are on but I removed the fuse on the stock DRL so now I just have the LED on. Sorry I don't have any pic but it will be the same as from the link.

FYI all, I've updated this original post with pics. If anyone has pics for making it dim with indicator/headlamp please let me know

FYI all, I've updated this original post with pics. If anyone has pics for making it dim with indicator/headlamp please let me know

Do you have regular DRL lights? If you do, can you post a pic of your car with DRL on and the LEDs on?

Do these led lights turn on no matter what? Even with headlights on?

my car doesnt have the stock DRL but yes it is always on, even with the headlights

That looks very clean. Now time to change out that amber signal light. I bought some on a Chinese site for 6$ each. Looks very nice. But is still amber when on. I will post. Thread later. Or pm me if you want me to post it here.

Back