Remapping CX-5 2.2 D

joshjames87

:
mazda cx-5 2.2d sport
Has anyone else thought or already remapped their Cx-5. Heard alot about it from BMW diesel owners who claim that it has a genuine effect on the power and performance of their cars?

Hello There...

A company called Versatune will be looking into a solution for the SkyActiv D motors. It will take time, but it will happen.

Cheers..!!!

Has anyone else thought or already remapped their Cx-5. Heard alot about it from BMW diesel owners who claim that it has a genuine effect on the power and performance of their cars?

it would be great if you could copy the settings from the 175ps diesel and paste into the 150ps map.

Don't forget about voiding your warranty, that should be fun.

JB and Cobb tuning for the N54, N55, and N57 are fully reversible within minutes, with zero signs of anything done. The gains are tremendous, and in the case of their N57 diesels, mpg has even gone up.

Just waiting for the SkyA-D to become more widespread and the aftermarket to catch up.

The 175 sport has enough power as it is, more than enough for its chassis, and I don't rate the brakes compared to my previous car a Xtrail.

So any power hike should include improved braking and suspension improvements. IMO.

I had my 2003 Golf TDI remapped and it was very effective on throttle response, horsepower, & torque. About the only major thing I don't like about my 2.0 CX-5 is the drive by wire. There always seems to be a slight hesitation before there is an acceleration response. When my Golf was remapped it took care of that problem. I used to really enjoy it when someone in one of those Civics with the large noisy chrome mufflers pulled up alongside of me at a stoplight, because I could bury them with just a light touch on the throttle.

The 175 sport has enough power as it is, more than enough for its chassis, and I don't rate the brakes compared to my previous car a Xtrail.

So any power hike should include improved braking and suspension improvements. IMO.

I'm just being greedy. I'd like the 175ps without the 75kg penalty of the 4wd :)

like the new 6 has.

JB and Cobb tuning for the N54, N55, and N57 are fully reversible within minutes, with zero signs of anything done.......

Actually, that's not quite correct.

While it certainly is true that the firmware on the PCM/ECU has been flashed back to factory, and the modified firmware gone, traces of a flash actually still remain. There are a few ways of checking for this flash process.

1: Some PCM/ECU's have flash counters. Unless you reset that, the Dealer can view the count. Consider too, that if your car has been updated a number of times, this counter is obviously not zero. And if the "smart" Dealer reads the count as zero, questions may be raised when you turn up with a warranty issue.

2: Flashing a PCM/ECU typically involves resetting it at some point. Counters such as distance since last reset etc, are likely to be zero'ed as part of the flash. Again, a "smart" Dealer may query the PCM/ECU and notice the counter reads only a few miles/km, and ask questions as to why you need a new transmission.

Go grab an OBD data logger, and see if you can read some of these counters.

In the end, one must 100% realise and clearly understand the concept of flash tuning their car. The boy racer mentality of power at any cost can be disastrous. Sensible tuning on a factory car is extremely important. Not all out power. Sure, you could dial in huge boost pressure into the file, but if the car can't generate, then what's the point? I know with my old car, 16PSI was about the practical limit. Factory was 14PSI. And as boost was dependant on load tables, I set my load targets only slightly higher than factory values. This kept boost pressure within a safe range.

It took a lot of work and data logging to settle on my final file. I'd say I designed about 40 files.

It's all about being smart.

Last edited:
Further to my previous post...

This image is a snap of my data logger on a CX5. The four PID's displayed are:

- W/U Cnt = Warmup Count: Number of Warmups performed.
- # Codes: Numbers of codes stored.
- Clr Dst Km: Distance travelled since last reset.
- RunTime: Current engine run time in minutes.

So you can see a Dealer (to a point) can tell when the car was reset at the very least. And if you have a performance car like a Speed3 with a blown turbo, the above PID's reading zero might be a giveaway..!!!

It is actually quite interesting for me to view this data. A week ago, I asked the Dealer to check for any firmware updates. I was told an update had been done when I picked the car up. That was about 800km ago. So, you tell me..... Do you think that they did an update?

dhawk.jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow, I am corrected. Very enlightening. Thank you!

I haven't had any trouble with the dealer from experience with a JDB for the 335d. So I automatically thought it wasn't going to bring up a questioning concerning void of warranty since it is not completely obvious to detect on a normal service.

You have to love the modern PCM/ECU...!!!!!

It's sometimes better to leave a tune on the car. A well constructed tune is actually invisible if you consider the PID's I just listed.

Firmware versions are often embedded in the file, and should not be altered when a reputable tuner applies modifications. The hardware the Dealers use would read this version, and if correct, will not suspect any tampering. Actual road based data logging will always give away a tuned car. After all, if the car boosts to a factory 14PSI, but data logs at 19PSI, it's a bit obvious!

Further to this point, the car's VIN is sometimes also embedded in the file.

Remapping a car is actually a cross between fun, geekiness and sheer terror.

I've had a few "Oh Sh_t....!!!" moments. The worst being the laptop crashing half way through an upload. I think I went pale at that point. The car was D.E.A.D. Not even the dash lights came on! Thankfully the software was able to recover the ECU. I'm not actually sure what was worse, the thought of a $50k toaster oven sitting outside my office, or what my wife was going to say.

In the end, it's all about accepting the risks as a trade off for the extra performance.

My personal belief is that remapping a PCM/ECU is the best bang for your buck bar none. But you do have to sensible. Tuning the engine to the ragged edge and crying when the thing goes BANG, is your own fault. Especially if you constantly drive it like you stole it. Do not blame the tune. You must remember the limitations of the platform. And drive sensibly. Apart from that, discuss what you want with a Tuner.

The guys from the UK, have access to some of the best Tuners in the world. Someone over there will get a readout and reverse engineer it. But that will take time. Give a year, and there will likely be a solution available to the Public. And then, let the fun begin...!!!!

A remap won't void the warranty. Mazda would have to prove that the remap was the root cause. If for example the brake discs exploded , they would still be covered under warranty.

There are now a number of UK companies offering remaps. It's best to do your own research and discuss with the tuners what your requirements are. I would recommend using one that writes their own map as opposed to buying an 'off the shelf' version and selling it as their own. And always get the car on the dyno before and after so that the tuner's claims can be proven. Celtic tuning appear to have a good reputation and from my discussions with them to date (I will get my CX-5 remapped as I'm used to 460bhp) and I'll probably used them and have them apply the map at my local rolling road centre.

I've had mine pro tuned by a local tuner and it goes well but most of the extra power delivery is in the low rpm range , I had our resident mazda tuner on this forum sassimac review and take my changes and analyze them, he has some great enhancemensts that were testing out , I would suggest anyone wanting to tune their 2.2l diesel chat to him as he has access to the tools and experience to make your car fly, we need some more beta testers ..​

You can't go wrong dropping sassimac a line , he's offering to help you tune your car in lieu of some testing and feedback , get into it ...

also keen to work with others that have had a tune so we can compare and fully unlock the subtle differences and and hidden tables , I've shared the changes I paid for by my local tuner with this project so please take advantage and participate in the project you have nothing to loose and a huge smile to gain.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back