2013~2016 CX-5 OEM 17" Wheel and tire weight

That's almost spot on to my weights.
My factory 17s w Blizzack snow tires weighed in at 50.6 lbs.
I did save more weight on my wheel swap though.
Motegi MR121 17x7 48 offset Matte Gray finish wrapped with the factory tires 225/65 Geolanders 42.6 lbs combined.

oem 17x7, 23lbs ea, i've weigh all 4, is close to all factory rims, my bmw 17's are at 23lbs each also. 19's are like 29-30lbs someone posted before.

I weighed all my OEM 17" wheels/tires with minimal treadwear and they were quite a bit lighter than that:

LR 49.6 lbs.
RR 49.4 lbs.
LF 49.6 lbs.
RF 49.6 lbs.

This includes balancing weights (weighed on a digital shipping scale 0-280 lbs.)

My 17" OZ Alleggerita's with heavier winter radials mounted (and balance weights):

One thing that keeps amazing me as I look at various wheel/tire combo weights is how much heavier the larger diameters are.

I did a weigh-in of my wheels and tires and here's what I have.

This is the scale I used.
2niy2zc.jpg

Stock 17" wheel and tire combo weighed in at 50 lbs.
30cu82u.jpg
2n00jrt.jpg

In addition, this is my current setup. 18" Enkei M52 Wheels with Continental DWS weighed in at 51 lbs.
v2twd2.jpg
34q1jf4.jpg

Was wondering what the weight savings is from going to 19 inch rims on a turbo Mazda CX 5 to 17 inch rims. What the weight difference is as well as the clearance. Anyone know?

Weight difference and clearance would vary with wheel design. Without knowing more specifics about the 17 inch wheels and tires, as well the 19 inch wheels and tires you're thinking of swapping out, nothing can be said for sure.

Was wondering what the weight savings is from going to 19 inch rims on a turbo Mazda CX 5 to 17 inch rims. What the weight difference is as well as the clearance. Anyone know?
Very little, because the tire weight would increase.

Lot of factors to consider. Would you be using oem wheels? If so then you might save a good bit weight as the stock 19" setup runs around 60-62lbs per wheel. But the stock 17 wheel may not fit on a turbo model due to its larger rotor size. A 17" aftermarket might depending on spoke design but you wouldn't know until you got them. You can find light 19" wheels. In about 3-4 months I will be running a 19" wheel that is 1.5" wider than stock. My new tire/wheel setup will weigh about 46lbs vs the stock 60-62 lbs. Also remember if you go to a 17" wheel you will lose some cornering ability.

I was thinking of 17” rims as there would be considerable weight savings over 19”. I like them blacked out on the CX-5 and CX-30. Just don’t think it’s worth it for one size smaller rim, which is why I was considering 17 inch rims from a Mazda. I’m Aware of the larger brakes on the front but was wondering if anyone was running 17” rims on turbo CX-5.

On my old Mazda speed three, I was able to fit 17 inch rims, even though the speed three had larger rims than the Mazda 3.

I weighed a 19" wheel today from our 24 CX T.

62#s as mentioned. Yikes. It the tire weighs 29#' then the wheel weighs 33#s.
7I'm going to order a set of 19 x 8 +4 flow formed wheels. They weigh 27# each. 24# of unsprung weight can only help.

The wheels are being shipped from Japan. 8 to 12 weeks.

My wife doesn't like the shape or color of the OEM 19". They will be FS soon...

Attachments

• 0131241554~2.jpg
    0131241554~2.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I weighed a 19" wheel today from our 24 CX T.

62#s as mentioned. Yikes. It the tire weighs 29#' then the wheel weighs 33#s.

I'm going to order a set of 19 x 8 +45 flow formed wheels. They weigh 25# each. 32# of unsprung weight can only help.

The wheels are being shipped from Japan. 8 to 12 weeks.

My wife doesn't like the shape or color of the OEM 19". They will be FS soon...
What wheels did you end up ordering? Depending on the design, that sounds a little heavy for a 19x8. Many I looked at were 21-23 lb in 19x8.5. They must have a thick spoke design.

It looks like you have the same wheels as I do. I am also not a fan of them, whether it be their looks, their weight, or in how tedious they are to clean.

I don't think matching wheel design with body style has been Mazda's strong point with these cars. There are too many hard angles and straight lines, which don't match up with the car at all.

What wheels did you end up ordering? Depending on the design, that sounds a little heavy for a 19x8. Many I looked at were 21-23 lb in 19x8.5. They must have a thick spoke design.

It looks like you have the same wheels as I do. I am also not a fan of them, whether it be their looks, their weight, or in how tedious they are to clean.

I don't think matching wheel design with body style has been Mazda's strong point with these cars. There are too many hard angles and straight lines, which don't match up with the car at all.
We picked a flow formed wheel for strength and weight.

There was not much of a selection in 19 x 8 wheels. We couldn't find any of the wheel we liked in the USA. Found a set in Japan. I wanted to stay in a width to for a 255/55r19 tire. This is a DD my wife will mostly drive. We will most likely buy Conti TrueContact Tour next. They are almost 4 pounds lighter than the Toyo A36 on the car. Another 16 pounds for a total of 40#s unsprung weight. Now we are talking....

I found some 19 x 8.5 as light as 20 to 21 pounds. They were recommended for the track. Not saying folks don't drive on the street with them. My wife will be driving the car. Driving around pot holes, NOT. So I elected for more strength and a little more weight...

NOT a CX 5 pic but gives us an idea how they might look on our CX 5s.....

Delivery 8 to 12 weeks! I'll get the coilover, camber/caster kit and urathane sway bar bushings installed in the next 4 weeks. Alignment and be sitting on ready.

Attachments

• Enkei GTC02 19x8 +45.png
    Enkei GTC02 19x8 +45.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Mazda 3 with GTC02 wheels.png
    Mazda 3 with GTC02 wheels.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
That is going to be awesome. Enkei are legit. I just couldn't find any in my size and offset (19 or 20x8.5-9.0", +45). I'm sticking with 245 width tires for fitment and handling. When you go wider the tire sort of balloons on the wheel and handling gets mushier. Plus at 9 inches in width you need to watch out for rubbing on the suspension. I chose by picking a tire size that was at the upper end of the recommended rim width range per Tire Rack's videos on lap time testing. Also for speedometer accuracy 245/50/19 and 245/45/20 are spot on.

Last edited:
That is going to be awesome. Enkei are legit. I just couldn't find any in my size and offset (19 or 20x8.5-9.0", +45). I'm sticking with 245 width tires for fitment and handling. When you go wider the tire sort of balloons on the wheel and handling gets mushier. Plus at 9 inches in width you need to watch out for rubbing on the suspension. I chose by picking a tire size that was at the upper end of the recommended rim width range per Tire Rack's videos on lap time testing. Also for speedometer accuracy 245/50/19 and 245/45/20 are spot on.
Thank you. There are SO MANY options. I'm happy to finally make a choice, right or wrong!

I ordered BC BR coilovers, SP Racing caster and toe kit and Prothane urethane front and rear sway bar bushings today. I hope lowering the body 2 inches and stiffer sway bar bushings firm up the ride. Someday the Gen3 CX 5s will get aftermarket sway bar, I hope....

The turbos really should have a performance suspension option. Detroit's Big 3, BMW, Benz and others offer a performance suspension for their higher HP engines. I think Mazda is missing an opportunity.

I bought Acura Si front and rear sway bars and end links for our 09 Accord. Lowered the car about an inch with coilovers. This was a game changer. With summer tires it handled like it was on rails. It was a total sleeper.

Latter I swapped out the rubber sway bar bushings for urethane. This was another nice upgrade in handling. The Honda is going to my daughter. I thinks she is going to be surprised when she drives it.

I'll install the sway bar bushings first, then the coilovers and toe/camber kit. Then wait and wait for wheels. I might start a post showing each step along the way...

Back