Mazda CX-5 on Top Gear S20E05

karog

:
2014 CX-5 Touring AWD
Check out Top Gear Season 20 Episode 5 (the latest) to see Jeremy Clarkson abuse a Mazda CX-5. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll cringe. You'll see the Stig take it for a lap like no other.

Mazda CX-5 so powerful it destroyed the 'caravan'
attachment.php

Attachments

• topgearcx5.png
    topgearcx5.png
    185.5 KB · Views: 10,365
Last edited:
That intercooler took quite a beating from the Tiguan's tow hook. Another hilarious episode.

Don't forget the clip that showed the CX5 broken down, I noticed it was the 2012 plate so probably the exhaust sensor, a common failure on early cars.

as a caranner we found it of no practical use, when you watch top gear nowadays the programme has to be watched as a comedy show only.

I watched the episode yesterday, I loved how they talk a lot about the CX5 and almost nothing about the VW. And I wouldn’t be surprise that if it was possible they turned off the auto-brake thing when it crashed into the VW, it makes for fun tv and that’s their goal.

as a caranner we found it of no practical use, when you watch top gear nowadays the programme has to be watched as a comedy show only.

That’s the only reason that I watch Top Gear, I don’t even care about the supercar stuff. In fact I fast forward the video through the Porsche and Lamborghini review, I could care less about those things. They are all the same, they are stupid expensive and I would never own one of those (even if I had the money).

Don't forget the clip that showed the CX5 broken down, I noticed it was the 2012 plate so probably the exhaust sensor, a common failure on early cars.

No, much more serious than that. It was the turbo-intercooler which as they stated was damaged in a 3 mph collision, the sort of speed that car park incidents can occur at. Very worrying not to mention expensive.....

I think we're an episode behind you guys here in the US with BBC-America, but I look forward to the episode as I do with all Top Gear stuff =)

Saw the episode today. That was fun! It's the first time that a car I've driven is featured on Top Gear. I know, sad...

I sure didn't see anything wrong with the AWD system on the CX-5, and since we don't get the diesel here, no turbo intercooler to worry about is a good thing :)

unless you need to get to your pitch in a hurry? (wrc) - just don't expect to your 'van to be in one piece!(eek)

I am a huge Top Gear fan (BBC not the travesty we have here in America) and I was really excited for this episode as like Fleecy this is the first time they have had a car on that I actually own. As always hugely entertaining and you could tell Jezza and May were having a lot of fun with the comparison. I did think it was telling that out of all those cars they picked the CX-5. Not surprising as it and the VW are the only ones with any sporting ability at all. One thing for sure I am incredibly jealous of that diesel. Broken intercooler or not, that thing was a beast.

I am curious though has anyone ever actually had the smart city brake kick on like that? I know TG likes to dramatize for the sake of humor and that's fine and all. But, it did make me curious if anyone has actually gotten it to trigger.

Last edited:
No, much more serious than that. It was the turbo-intercooler which as they stated was damaged in a 3 mph collision, the sort of speed that car park incidents can occur at. Very worrying not to mention expensive.....

Not surprising - they speared the front of the CX-5 with the trailer hitch of the Tiguan which was sticking out quite a ways. I don't know how you could avoid this sort of vulnerability other than making the car 6-9" longer to provide a buffer zone for the intercooler. The intercooler has to be exposed to free air flow - it can't be protected by a steel guard or frame member.

it happen to me once. like him, i didnt know what had happen... but i looked at the dashboard and saw the light. it only has done it once. i must say i was driving at 20 mph or so on my way to work ( running late), came to a light that had just turn green and there was a truck he started to move so i didn't slow down, i caught to him got close and then it kick in. it felt like the ABS but a bit different.

Laughed very hard - as a RVer, I know what happens if things are left loose inside when traveling down the road. Watching the trailers destroyed was just great fun.

Instead of those family stickers you see on the back windows of vehicles, I need a sticker to put on the back window of my CX5 that say's......Destroyer of Caravans!

Last edited:
Top Gear - is renowned for bending the facts to make 'good television'. There was an episode with the BMW M6 (I think) when Clarkson suggested it took 5 mins to select all the throttle / suspension / gearbox / traction settings - when actually, post config (1 min) it's just once press of the 'M' button on the steering wheel.

I was very impressed with the AWD Mazda through the mud and water. I had always planned to take mine offroad but not to that extent and thus am well pleased and confident in it's abilities.

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, it was very funny and great to see the CX5 pushing through those bogs.

And I have experienced SCBS, when my garage door was not all the way up and I was driving in. Car SLAMS on the brakes and you stop immediately wondering what you hit.

Back