Transmission/Drivetrain concerns

Tron1

:
Honda S2000
As a potential CX-5 owner (and a very new Forum member) I am growing increasingly concerned about those posts regarding transmission issues. I am close to buying a 2013 CX-5 but am very reluctant after reading the forum. I know Mazda is on schedule to manufacturing over 150,000 CX-5 per year and perhaps only a very small percentage of those vehicles have defective tranny's. Has there been a definitive TSB or fix in the works? Is there any info that Mazda is addressing or admitting there is a problem? I think the Skyactive technology is an outstanding concept but has it been improperly rushed into production without full and complete testing? I look forward to your comments.

I dont think you should worry. They are very very isolated insidents. Approaching 20k miles on mine without any problems.

A large reason why most people come to the forums are to rant and question about their "problems" with their cars. Just think about how many out there don't have any problems at all. You see these things on every forum including Honda and Toyota's.

You are right to be concerned, transmission problems can be costly and/or get your vehicle to be at the shop for long periods of time.
First, it seems there were actually 2 different transmission issues, AFAIK. One was ECU related, which has a TSB associated with it. This applies to 13'. The other seems to be defective valve body.
Second, if you search this forum you'll see that there were not that many posts about it. Also, most posts stopped sometime late 2012. While this is not accurate statistics (only Mazda has those and they are not sharing), I believe it means that most cases were ECU related and/or that for some reason there are less defective units out.

So, in summary, I think the overall number of vehicles sold which have or might get an actual mechanical issue in the future is low.
If I am wrong, then you'll see many more posts later this year.

Last edited:
I know Mazda is on schedule to manufacturing over 150,000 CX-5 per year and perhaps only a very small percentage of those vehicles have defective tranny's.

CX-5 transmissions have had very few issues and are proving very reliable and successful. The production figure you mention is unrealistically low. There are many more CX-5's produced than that and they are still production limited (selling all they can manufacture). Russia is Mazda's largest CX-5 market in Europe and you can bet the transmissions have had a real workout over there. Additionally, Skyactiv transmissions have been around before the CX-5 and are being incorporated in all the new Mazda's. The Skyactive transmissions are so successful production is being upped from the current 750,000 to 1,114,000 units annually. So the reliability data for Skyactiv transmissions is much more robust if you consider how widely deployed the technology really is in Mazda's newer designs.

Go ahead and sow doubt while I enjoy the superior performance and efficiency of one of the most advanced and modern transmissions to hit the automotive market.

I've been driving all kinds of cars for the last 35 years and there is no doubt they just keep getting better and better. And Mazda is doing more than their share to advance the state of the art.

Mazda cx5: top rated small SUV in reliability in Consumer Reports with an excellent rating. Mazda motor company is also # 3 most reliable auto manufacturer just behind Lexus.

Thanks for your responses and good feedback..... my fears have been allayed. (attention)

I have a 2013 touring CX-5. At 5,000 miles the valve body in the transmission was replaced. I now have 9,000 miles and I'm having problems again. When driving the traction control light comes on and vehicle acts like the transmission has shifted into neutral. I am taking it back to the dealer again. This is a serious safety issue.

I have a 2013 touring CX-5. At 5,000 miles the valve body in the transmission was replaced. I now have 9,000 miles and I'm having problems again. When driving the traction control light comes on and vehicle acts like the transmission has shifted into neutral. I am taking it back to the dealer again. This is a serious safety issue.

Why should we believe you, you only have one post.

Last edited:
Wow toilet...what's your threshold for believing someone? 10 posts, 50 posts? There's been more than one person on here with many posts who you know is full of crap, so I personally don't think that # of posts means much. Everyone has to start at #1 post...

Wow toilet...what's your threshold for believing someone? 10 posts, 50 posts? There's been more than one person on here with many posts who you know is full of crap, so I personally don't think that # of posts means much. Everyone has to start at #1 post...

Yeah you're right, I just have it in the back of my head that there are those people who do not even own Mazda's that are signing up here just to post negative threads to hurt Mazda's reputation. This is a good reason why one should not rely on a forum to judge the reliability of any brand.

Last edited:
I think the resolution for this, correct me if I am wrong, has been a revised valve body and/or remapping of the TCM?

Either way, I don't foresee the ATX issue being too huge. I have an early build 2013 with 24,000 miles on it, and it's never missed a lick. And if it does, I don't see repair on Mazda's dime being an issue.

Hi all,
I will speak of this as I'm a victim. I recently drove down to LA from Vancouver and this happened to me on the LA freeway (i5). I was doing approx 60-70mph and the traction light came on along with the tire pressure indicator. It's like the vehicle went into neutral and all I could do was rev the engine. It got down to about 30mph and I regained drive however lights remained. I pulled off the freeway and restarted the car and everything went back to normal.
Took to Mazda in Santa Clarita and they were already aware of such issue. The said it seemed replacing the tranny was faster than getting there hands on a new valve body. Apparently Mazda corrected this issue on later builds. They mentioned it seemed that a recall might be close since it happens eventually.
I could not wait around and had to drive back to Canada to get it fixed. So far I haven't had it happen again yet but it's going in on Monday to have Mazda replace the valve body or whole tranny.

This is a real problem... And a potential recall soon. I drive an early 2013. currently 31000km or around 19000miles I think.

Last edited:
I own a very early 13 as well.
This is definitely something that would freak the mrs. out. I believe it would bt something that would make her dislike the vehivle, if it happened to her while she was driving.

Mazda is traditionally pretty hesitant to issue recalls. They <3 TSBs. But, I see this as an actual safety issue, if it occurs while driving down the freeway. Hopefully, for that reason, it will provide them better encouragement (or pressure from the NHTSA) to be proactive in its resolve.

And what did the dealer say and do about it?

(Still waiting for the follow-up, or post #2)...

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents.

IMHO, Mazda didn't really invent a whole new mechanical technology for their transmissions. They didn't reinvent the wheel so to speak. They didn't have the resources to do so. They were forced to take a different route. What they've done is studied already known technologies and basically combined different elements into one very clever "package". One that no other manufacture has done before. So although yes it's a new package, it's individual concepts are not.

Back