Physical Key Does Not Work

tobeychris

:
Mazda CX-5 GT with Tech Package
Hey everyone,

I have an interesting issue and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing. I was camping this past weekend and when I went to the beach I did not want to bring the electronic fob so I thought I would bring the physical key. I went to test it out to make sure that I could still open the car and to my surprise the key didn't turn. It's a different cut on the two sides so I tried it the other way and nothing. I went and grabbed my wife's keys and it was the same thing. I tried to turn it at different stages of having the key inserted (maybe it was going in too far) and still nothing.

I took it into the dealer this morning and even they couldn't get the key to work, but they needed a few hours to take off the door panel and inspect the cylinder, which I didn't have.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? On the other hand, were you like me and never even tried the physical key?

Thanks!

I did try mine and it worked fine. Only on one of my fobs though. I should check the other. Hope it's an easy (and should be free) fix for you.

My key appears to be symmetrical. I would guess that something went wrong when they cut the key. They should be able to cut a key based on the VIN and/or key tag and then you should be good to go. I'd have them try that before I let them take my door apart

Anyone else notice the same?

The top of my key looks like this:
Mazda Key.JPG

Just an update on this:

I brought this to the attention of the dealership owner on my last visit. He ordered me two new keys that I picked up the next day.

They both worked perfectly.

Somehow I was given the wrong keys on delivery! (Keys and Fobs are separate)

Back