rear break overheating

TK3

:
Mazda CX-5 2013
Found my CX-5's back tire/rim on the passenger side was smoking today. The rim was too hot to touch and one could smell burned oil and rubber smell. The other tires were just fine. Checked the hand break and it was off. Could not figure out what went wrong. Anyone has seen similar problems? By the way, it has about 20,000 km on it.

Have you changed the brake pads recently? I put EBC reds on my CX-7, they stopped great but cooked a front caliper and hub and warped both front rotors.
EBC of course said I should have installed their rotors too.

Have you changed the brake pads recently? I put EBC reds on my CX-7, they stopped great but cooked a front caliper and hub and warped both front rotors.
EBC of course said I should have installed their rotors too.

Other than 3 oil changes, I haven't done anything else to the car. I pumped the break paddle a few times and fiddled with the hand break, the overheating problem seems disappeared. Will take another look tomorrow.
So your problem was caused by mismatching pads and rotors?

I had the exact same thing happen to me. My TPM went off, I got out and looked and my rear drivers side tire was just smoking. I worried that I accidentally left the ebrake on but I was told by the dealership that if you leave your ebrake on (even one click) the car will beep after you reach a certain speed like 10 km. I took mine to Mazda right away and they replace both back break calipers and pads replaced the rotor all under warranty. Take it in asap!

Leaning towards a seized caliper piston or stuck cable mechanism for the ebrake... Have the dealership take a closer look at it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Dealer's mechanic got a closer look of the break and found it quite dirty, lots of debris. He did not find anything else abnormal so he just cleaned and lubricated it.

Here's what I just sent to Mazda Canada Customer service.
Repeat rear brake failure on my vehicle.

Rear brake pads were seized and had to be cut off one month ago. Pads and rotors covered under the 1 year 20,000k warranty.

I was at Performance Mazda today for 24k service and asked not to have the rear brakes serviced as they were just done under warranty.

Tech and service advisor came to see me to suggest that I do in fact service the rear brakes as Quote: Mazda only pays them to do "half a brake job" when warranty is paying and the newly one month old warranty pads are wearing unevenly.

I paid the service and asked they review with the service manager as I would expect they would warranty the job MCI just paid them to do. As you are aware, next to tires, the brakes are the most important safety component on a car.

Now I have unsafe pads that are only making partial contact on the rotor surface. This is unacceptable and I wish for DPSM intervention to remedy the charge for the rear brake service I paid today, as well as to install new even rear brake pads and to instruct the dealer to do a complete job so this doesn't happen.

I asked for the DPSM's name and they were unable to provide it do to "transitions" going on at MCI.

I believe the above facts and request are very clear and this will not require a face to face with the DPSM, then a subsequent meeting in front of the arbitrator at CAMVAP.

Mazda Canada got the Service Manager to contact me to get the car back in. They will change the pads, and refund me for the service. Would have been easier if the Service Advisor A.k.A. order taker simply went to the service manager in the first place.

Back