Cleaning

the_cHIA

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GS
I just got a '14 CX-5. I wanted to know what the best product to use to wipe down the dash and other parts in the interior. The majority of the dash is soft plastics. Would just using Armoral be OK or is there something in particular I should be using

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

For the inside of the car I use a shopvac with a brush attachment to get most of the dust off. I recommend Nu Vinyl Protectant for the dash, leather seats and the exterior black plastics. Nu Vinyl will do better then Armorall in that it provides better and longer lasting UV protection, but also because it doesn't leave behind a residue (i.e. not greasy, or overly shiny). On all of the external black trim plastic, it makes them look nice and black, and will last threw a car wash or two before you need to reapply. Nu Vinyl is $6 on amazon, not sure what it is in stores, and a little goes a long way. I use a microfiber towel to apply.

For non leather surfaces Vinylex is a great product. For leather you can't beat Lexol. They are found almost anywhere too.

NRS 303 Aerospace Protectant is amazing stuff. It doesn't leave an overly-shiny residue and provides UV filtering. I've been using it on my 2005 Acura since it was new, and people still ask me if it's a new car. It's great on the bumper plastic, too. You can get it at boating supply stores or REI. (It is not a cleaner, however, but I don't use one on the dash. I use this protectant and then just dust periodically with a Swiffer dry dust cloth).

Last edited:
Another vote for 303.

One caveat, its hard to remove from glass. I find it quickest to use a sheet of the thin cardboard (back of a legal pad) as a shield to keep it off the windshield when I'm doing the dash. No matter how careful I try to be, without the cardboard, I end up with some on the glass. On glass, it's very noticeable in sunlight and headlight glare.

Last edited:
Iuse a small (1X1 inch) sponge taped to a paint stick. I spray the sponge and wipe the dash that way.

Another vote for 303.

One caveat, its hard to remove from glass. I find it quickest to use a sheet of the thin cardboard (back of a legal pad) as a shield to keep it off the windshield when I'm doing the dash. No matter how careful I try to be, without the cardboard, I end up with some on the glass. On glass, it's very noticeable in sunlight and headlight glare.
303 is also available in a tube with pre-moistened towelettes which I find convenient for doing the dash and are easier to control in narrow spaces such as at the base of the windshield. You bring up a point (in your last sentence) that I have not seen raised here before though. I find the angle of the windshield on the CX-5 makes damn near anything on either the inside or outside of the windshield very noticeable when the sun or headlights are directly in front of the car. I usually end up cleaning these surfaces twice to make sure I've got them as clean as humanly possible so that I'm not looking at smears and smudges under those conditions. I've never had a vehicle that requires this kind of windscreen cleaning diligence before!

Just picked up some 303 and wiped down the inside of my CX-5. WOW!! What a difference between this stuff and Armor All (absolutely no smear or residue....and the dash looks better for it). The 303 is a bit pricey....but looks like it will be worth it. Unfortunately I couldn't find the wipes...only the spray bottle....but spraying a cloth and then wiping down the dash works like a charm. Many thx for the tip here.

Bon

Just picked up some 303 and wiped down the inside of my CX-5. WOW!! What a difference between this stuff and Armor All (absolutely no smear or residue....and the dash looks better for it). The 303 is a bit pricey....but looks like it will be worth it. Unfortunately I couldn't find the wipes...only the spray bottle....but spraying a cloth and then wiping down the dash works like a charm. Many thx for the tip here.

Bon

Hey Bon,

Wondering where you found the 303 in Toronto. Thanks, in advance.

I'm actually in Mississauga. So, I googled marine / boating shops in Mississauga and called them one by one to see if they carried 303. To my surprise, most boating shops did carry it....one of which was just down the street from me (small world). Then, last night as I was checking out leather cleaning / protection products (ie-Lexol)....I seen that WalMart (online) carries both Lexol and 303. So, I'm on my way out this afternoon to Walmart to see if they have both in stock in their superstore. I will say this, after trying out 303 yesterday, I was VERY pleasantly surprised at how well it worked (much better than the Armorall wipes I had been using up until now). I threw away the Armorall...and will stick with 303 for the dash and vinyl trim from now on.

Gotta say, I love this website!!

Zoom Zoom!!

Bon

I'm actually in Mississauga. So, I googled marine / boating shops in Mississauga and called them one by one to see if they carried 303. To my surprise, most boating shops did carry it....one of which was just down the street from me (small world). Then, last night as I was checking out leather cleaning / protection products (ie-Lexol)....I seen that WalMart (online) carries both Lexol and 303. So, I'm on my way out this afternoon to Walmart to see if they have both in stock in their superstore. I will say this, after trying out 303 yesterday, I was VERY pleasantly surprised at how well it worked (much better than the Armorall wipes I had been using up until now). I threw away the Armorall...and will stick with 303 for the dash and vinyl trim from now on.

Gotta say, I love this website!!

Zoom Zoom!!

Bon
After I got my 303 I used my Armorall to shine the plastic in the fender wells, that's about what they're good for. Don't throw them out.

After I got my 303 I used my Armorall to shine the plastic in the fender wells, that's about what they're good for. Don't throw them out.

Heh!! I used the 303 for the outside plastic fender wells as well. Anything vinyl or plastic....I'm using 303. For the leather, I will try Lexol. From here on in, I will not be using Armorall.

Bon

Heh!! I used the 303 for the outside plastic fender wells as well. Anything vinyl or plastic....I'm using 303. For the leather, I will try Lexol. From here on in, I will not be using Armorall.

Bon
Oops I meant inside fender wells, when I get OCD I clean every part of the car I can see.

Just an FYI. 303 is a great uv inhibitor - that's what it is designed to do. I use it on my canoe gel coat several times a year. The better vinyl products like Vinylex, Meguiars and others have them too. In addition they clean and "nourish" the vinyl. They are pretty inexpensive and easy to find.

Back