Service schedule only goes to 60,000 miles or 48 months - what then?

In reviewing the owner's manual for our new 2014 CX-5 GT (2.5L), I noticed that the service schedule only goes through 48 months or 60,000 miles. I had hoped that the shop manual would provide extended service information, but so far I haven't found any there either. So I contacted Mazda NAO, and they replied, "I would like to refer you to the Owner's Manual for your 2014 CX-5, section 6-4. You are correct, the maintenance schedule only goes up to 60,000 miles. Please be advised the recommended interval for oil changes is every 6 months or 7,500 miles, whichever comes first. For any other maintenance inquiries I would like to refer you to your nearest Mazda dealership:..." I find this answer less than satisfactory since I plan on keeping the vehicle long-past 60,000 miles, and I don't like depending on a dealer to tell me when service is due. (I do some of my own maintenance, and tend to do more myself after the warranty expires. For one thing, I'd like to know when to replace the timing belt, and the schedule only gives an inspection point.) So, does anybody know of any extended service schedules for the 2.5 CX-5? Or a good reason why the schedule stops at 60K?

that inspection point on the belt is for the drive belt. These have a timing chain if I remember correctly.

I thought at the 60,000 mile point you just start over at the left of the chart again.

I've got to stop putting so many miles on mine or I'm going to have to change the spark plugs in a little over a year.

Sorry, I was referring to the "drive belt," which the manual says should be inspected at 35,000 miles / 28 months under Schedule 2. The schedule never gives a replacement point. This is one reason why I don't think the schedule resets back to the left side of the chart. With other vehicles, where they list the earliest replacement point, it makes sense to restart the cycle after you hit the end of the service schedule. (For example, if it says replace the drive belt at 75K, then you do it again at 150K, etc.) For another example, it says to inspect the brake fluid every 5000 miles, but never has a replacement point. Also, Mazda NAO did not say that the schedule repeats; all they will say is "change your oil every 6 months/7500 miles and otherwise ask your dealer." Since I posted the first post, they left me a phone message saying the same thing.

From the maintenance schedule: "After the prescribed period, continue to follow the described maintenance at the recommended intervals." Which basically means to start over at the left.

Sorry, I was referring to the "drive belt," which the manual says should be inspected at 35,000 miles / 28 months under Schedule 2. The schedule never gives a replacement point. This is one reason why I don't think the schedule resets back to the left side of the chart. With other vehicles, where they list the earliest replacement point, it makes sense to restart the cycle after you hit the end of the service schedule. (For example, if it says replace the drive belt at 75K, then you do it again at 150K, etc.) For another example, it says to inspect the brake fluid every 5000 miles, but never has a replacement point. Also, Mazda NAO did not say that the schedule repeats; all they will say is "change your oil every 6 months/7500 miles and otherwise ask your dealer." Since I posted the first post, they left me a phone message saying the same thing.

Slightly off topic, but I always make it habit to change the brake fluid after 2 or no more than 3 years.

Does anyone have data on the Mazda automatic transmissions? Additional fluid changes beyond what may be recommended?

For example, I have found Honda automatic transmissions very sensitive, and really can only use Honda fluid, and should be changed on a regular basis with a 3X drain and fill every 45K. Even the Civic Si can use a good fluid change every 30K miles...not on the schedule, but makes it so much nicer, and less notchy....

Does anyone have data on the Mazda automatic transmissions? Additional fluid changes beyond what may be recommended?

Nothing official, just that in our non-Skyactive Mazda3 after 10,000 miles the fluid was quite dark and on the CX5 after 20,000 miles the fluid still looked like new. So I pumped out 2 quarts of the Mazda3 fluid and replaced them and will do so on a regular basis but left the CX5 fluid alone.

Sorry, I was referring to the "drive belt," which the manual says should be inspected at 35,000 miles / 28 months under Schedule 2. The schedule never gives a replacement point.

I think they just keep inspecting it until it shows signs of needing replaced and then replace it. Belts and hoses have gotten to where they last so much longer than they ever did before.

Back