Yokohama Geolander tires

vfrguy

:
2013 CX-5 Touring
Well I haven't been on here in a while and figured I'd post this. Bought the CX5 march last year and its still great and we have 18,4xx miles on it. I got in it yesterday and noticed a tire was low, began to check and I found a screw in it. While I was looking I noticed severe weather cracking/dry rot in the factory tires. So I called Mazda and they say they couldn't do anything because they aren't an authorized Yokohama dealer.

I called Yokohama and they gave me a case number. Took the car to a local tire shop and got the old ones prorated for a new set of tires. I don't know if the cracking/rot is an isolated issue but figured I'd share it. Also all of the tires were between 3 and 4/32nds after 18K miles.

Yup it gets parked outside, but my other car gets parked outside and only gets driven 3 days a week where the CX5 is driven everyday and my other car has no cracking.

Do you do a lot of off road driving? I know every work truck I've seen that drives on dirt a lot ends up looking like your tires pretty quickly.

I have over 32,500 miles on my CX-5 and I still have tread on my tires.

I have 25,200 miles and my tires are still good. You should check the date of those tires and see when they were made. You may have gotten an old set.

Do you do a lot of off road driving? I know every work truck I've seen that drives on dirt a lot ends up looking like your tires pretty quickly.

Can I ask you how you get those amazing mileage numbers? What speeds do you drive at and do you hyper mile?

No off road driving on them at all and the manufacture date was 03/12. I'm just guessing it was a bad set because I've never had tires look like that after a short time.

It's possibly a manufacturing defect due to improper rubber compound or a time/temperature problem during the molding/curing process but it is more likely due to being over-heated (perhaps repeatedly) at some point during it's 18,000 miles. Modern tire manufacturing has very tight controls but it is possible for time/temperature to go out of spec due to unforseen circumstances (however rare). A good manufacturer will dispose of tires that were not cured properly.

When the rubber on a properly manufactured tire is over-heated and heat cycled a few times it can cause the curing process to re-establish itself at a much accelerated rate which over-hardens the rubber. Normally, tires continue to cure at a very slow rate for their entire life which is why tires many years old are of questionable value. This effect, whether caused by old age or by repeated heat cycling at high temperatures, is irreversible and you may notice poor traction in all situations but especially in cold, wet weather. It can also cause the tread to crack and chip instead of wearing smoothly. Tires become over-heated due to a number of factors and it is often a combination of three or more factors that come together to create much higher than normal tread temperature build up. All of the following factors will increase tread temperatures:

Low air pressure
heavy loads
extremely hot weather
abrasive pavement (chip seal made with sharp edged stones)
high speed driving
aggressive cornering
old pavement that has been "washboarded" by years of truck traffic
broken pavement with exposed layers

A little more air pressure can do wonders from preventing this kind of tire "cooking" when you know you will be experiencing such conditions. Make sure air pressure is always measured stone cold or you could end up with too little even the gauge reads in spec.

My brand new Geloander are 8/32, isnt new tire supposed to be like 11/32 or something?

My brand new Geloander are 8/32, isnt new tire supposed to be like 11/32 or something?

New tread depth is specified at 10/32".

My Geolanders with approximately 4,000 miles on them are wearing very evenly across the tread and from tire to tire. Everywhere I measure is slightly more than 9/32".

I'm using a tire tread gauge to measure. What method are you using?

im using a tread gauge as well...wow what the hell i got ripp off or what? mine are really 8/32, 2 week old cx-5

Last edited:
I had Geolanders on my Forester and found them an excellent all weather tire-well not deep snow. I got about 35,000 before the safety cross bars. To get the correct NEW tread value you really need to check the manufactures info-maybe TireRack will have the info on their site. Tread dept is not the same acroos the board for all Geolander models. Are we comparing the same Model of Geolander tires?

Yup. The stock tires are crap.

They are definitely not a tire for a driving enthusiast.

Calling them "crap" is a little strong. They have a lot of good to mediocre qualities that make them a decent tire for many:

They last a long time
They are relatively quiet
They return good fuel economy
They are not prone to cupping or other unusual wear habits
They have good steering response until pushed hard

On the weak side is their cornering ability when pushed and their traction off-road suffers because the tread does not conform to irregularities very well. In fact, my snow tires (Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT 225/65/R17's) outperform the Geolanders in wet or dry corners and have a slightly quieter and much more compliant ride at similar pressures. But they wear faster and consume a bit more fuel. A quality summer tire could provide better cornering but most will wear faster than the Geolanders and be even less capable in snow/ice/mud, etc.

Tires are all about compromises and I haven't seen any info that makes me think the Geolanders are simply cheap tires without merit. Of course their merits are not in the arena of performance driving.

im using a tread gauge as well...wow what the hell i got ripp off or what? mine are really 8/32, 2 week old cx-5

I would say it sounds fishy. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to spec tires with a lesser tread depth in Canadian markets. If that is not the case, it does sound like you may have an issue to take up with the dealer.

How many miles are on the odometer?
Have you measured the tread depth at multiple points on all tires? The measurement you got is consistent with measuring the depth on a tread wear indicator bar.

With new tyres 7-8mm is normal, they use to be more years ago.

Do you really think this will accomplish anything?

Awnser: no

Do i still have to do it: YES

Why: because stealership are stealership

What your suggestion? get screwd and do nothing about it? awesome

I will measure couple cx-5 tire in stealership parking and see its the same as my tire, if its not then im certainly not going to just walk away...

Last edited:
Odo is at like 2 000 km, its brand new

If it's over 2,000 km that is not "brand new" and it will make it difficult to prove anything.

What do you think could explain the shallow than expected tread depth?

Back