About to buy a 2014 CX-5 GT; a question or two [remote start]

I am currently sleepless in the 24 hour period before I find out if I am approved for a loan from my credit union for a new CX-5. I am already, after long contemplation, decided on a GT trim (got's to have Sirius, heated mirrors, and bose) and pretty confident in my choice of the tech package (I sure like that homelink and advanced keyless entry).

The only thing left to consider is remote start. I live in Minnesota, and don't have a garage. The idea of remote start at 5:30 am mid January is veeeery appealing. Several Mazda competitors offer integrated remote start as a feature/option, which I find appealing. Mazda, however, only offers it as an add-on option.

My question is; is it worth it. Not just from a $ standpoint, as rolling $500 into a $33,000 loan is marginal. But is it a good system? I've read it cuts off upon opening the door. That seems like somewhat of a an inconvenience. Not a deal break in my mind, but is it in practice? As I cannot find a car on the lot that matches my configuration and has remote start, will the dealer install it as an option? If so, how long will it take? Will it be invasive; will it leave marks of removed pannels/scratched leather? Are there aftermarket products that are a better choice, and typically yield less invasive installs?

If anyone has any insight please let me know. Thanks!

Remote start from a feature standpoint is extremely nice in the colder climates (I am in New England). I've used it on my past 2 vehicles and would not want to live without it again, so I fully intend to have an after market unit installed before the snow flies again. The reason I didn't have the dealer install it (which they will if you want them to, to answer that question) is that aftermarket units will save you around $200 if you go for the basic remote start system that I use. They do offer some pretty fancy aftermarket ones that you can start from your smartphone, warn you if someone is touching your car, etc, but I only care about the car being warmed up on those cold mornings.

I'm sure the dealer would not scratch your car up during the install, nor would any reputable aftermarket installer.

One thing to consider is that you will have to give up one of your key fobs for the remote install if you go aftermarket. I assume that is included in the dealer install, but I can't say for sure. Usually on an aftermarket install you give up a spare key with the chip in it, but I think the whole fob is needed for the CX-5. Someone correct me if I am wrong. The reason I think this is that I tested trying to start the car with only the key in the car and it was a no go, then I tried it with only the fob in the car and it worked, so that must be where the crucial chip is.

As for the car shutting off when the door is opened, I have read the same thing with the dealer install. I've never had that happen with an aftermarket unit, but can't say for sure yet if there is something about the CX-5 that makes this a necessity. It wouldn't really bother me if it does shut off, but I agree it would be a minor annoyance. Then again, you normally have to manually start the car when you get in, so its not like it is an extra step that you are not used to.

I have a remote start in my cx9 and they didn't need a key. The cx5 is so new they didn't release the same one for it yet, im waiting as we speak.

I have a remote start in my cx9 and they didn't need a key. The cx5 is so new they didn't release the same one for it yet, im waiting as we speak.

I assume you mean a factory remote starter? It makes sense that they would have a way to insert the needed chip as part of the unit at the factory or dealership.

I assume you mean a factory remote starter? It makes sense that they would have a way to insert the needed chip as part of the unit at the factory or dealership.

Well, considering an additional keyfob for the remote start is listed at $336, and the entire remote start is $540, I'd reckon they likely reuse the chip in one of the factory keys for cost savings. I could be wrong though.

I think I'm just going to do it. I'm kind of a sucker for brand/factory/official parts. I know it isn't the best value, but for some reason it just makes me feel better. So I guess I'll report back with my findings!

Live in NM. Wife said it was a must for her 14 GT with advanced package. You are correct that the $ doesn't matter for the loan. I would HIGHLY recommend the OEM. Although it is an extra fob, it is not a problem. With the advanced package my wife never takes the key out of her purse to lock/unlock the doors and she said it is SOOO worth it to take the do out to start the at and cool it down before she and the kids get in. It does in face shut off when a for is opened, but from a safety standpoint with kids, I don't mind it at all. So it shut off for a couple of minutes while they get in, but it was sure worth the coolness it was running and cooling the cabin down the 10 minutes prior.

The remote works at great distances.

Thanks for your input as a mirror for my needs! I too have a kid, and would love to be able to pre-cool or pre-heat the car. You're right; the engine cut off upon door open is a minor thing. Oh well, repush the start button. I find out tomorrow if I am approved for the car loan, and I intend to ask for remote start installed!

Thanks for your input as a mirror for my needs! I too have a kid, and would love to be able to pre-cool or pre-heat the car.

Of course cars have been pre-heated or pre-cooled years before remote start was an option. On my CX-5 I simply open the driver or passenger door and reach over to push the start button. I don't need to sit down or mess with keys. But I can see how remote start would be handy if I had to take an elevator or cross a busy road to get to my car (assuming the car was close enough for the remote start to function). But I am generally parked very close so remote start would offer very little additional functionality.

Also, in the mountains in the winter I generally have to clear snow and/or frost off exterior windows before driving. I use my arm to clear the snow from the roof/windshield near the drivers door (so the snow doesn't fall into the car when I open the door) then I reach in and start the engine (and turn on the electric window defrosters). Typically, by the time I have cleared the snow and ice from all the windows, the car is ready to drive away and I am warmed by the snow/ice clearing activity.

In the summer I find the A/C works exceptionally fast to cool the interior (but I have a white CX-5 and don't live in a desert).

Of course cars have been pre-heated or pre-cooled years before remote start was an option. On my CX-5 I simply open the driver or passenger door and reach over to push the start button. I don't need to sit down or mess with keys. But I can see how remote start would be handy if I had to take an elevator or cross a busy road to get to my car (assuming the car was close enough for the remote start to function). But I am generally parked very close so remote start would offer very little additional functionality.

Also, in the mountains in the winter I generally have to clear snow and/or frost off exterior windows before driving. I use my arm to clear the snow from the roof/windshield near the drivers door (so the snow doesn't fall into the car when I open the door) then I reach in and start the engine (and turn on the electric window defrosters). Typically, by the time I have cleared the snow and ice from all the windows, the car is ready to drive away and I am warmed by the snow/ice clearing activity.

In the summer I find the A/C works exceptionally fast to cool the interior (but I have a white CX-5 and don't live in a desert).

After you start it, how long will it run if you were to walk away with the key?

After you start it, how long will it run if you were to walk away with the key?

I believe it will run until it runs out of fuel (unlike some other cars).

The idle is so efficient that would take a number of days if the tank were nearly full, the longest I would ever leave it idling is 4 or 5 minutes in the extreme cold. Mostly I just start it up and drive away within 5 seconds.

Well, I ended up getting the car sans remote start. I can always add it later, and I'll take this time to evaluate the usefulness of it. Thanks for the input!

Well, I ended up getting the car sans remote start. I can always add it later, and I'll take this time to evaluate the usefulness of it. Thanks for the input!

I'm trading in my 2013 GT, Monday, for a 2014 GT. I'm having the factory remote start removed from the '13 and installed on the '14. I paid around $750 initially. Dealer will switch it and reprogram it for 1.5 hrs. labor...It's like anything else. Once you've had it...You can't live without it!

I'm trading in my 2013 GT, Monday, for a 2014 GT. I'm having the factory remote start removed from the '13 and installed on the '14. I paid around $750 initially. Dealer will switch it and reprogram it for 1.5 hrs. labor...It's like anything else. Once you've had it...You can't live without it!

Then probably best I never had it! I'm sure I'll end up with it sometime around, oh I don't know, December 25th, just to pick a random date.

More importantly; how can you afford / how do you justify that loss on such a trade in?

Last edited:
Then probably best I never had it! I'm sure I'll end up with it sometime around, oh I don't know, December 25th, just to pick a random date.

More importantly; how can you afford / how do you justify that loss on such a trade in?

The 2013 was in a major accident last month. It now has a bad Car Fax. It was fixed perfectly. But I figured now is the time I would ever get the most $ for it. After driving it for a year, bad Car Fax and getting $24000 for a trade, I thought it would be nice to move up to the 2.5 and the other improvements.....It's the SAME color and nobody will know we even changed cars!
We used to do a lot of camping. A few years ago I sold everything, Suburban, camper etc. Now my wife is thinking about getting a tear drop camper (less than 1000lbs.), so the 2.5 should handle that easily, I hope.

Oh. Just a side note....The factory remote start, will start your car, turn the rear defroster on (if needed). BUT the fob is bulky and a little "quirky" to operate.

Last edited:
The 2013 was in a major accident last month. It now has a bad Car Fax. It was fixed perfectly. But I figured now is the time I would ever get the most $ for it. After driving it for a year, bad Car Fax and getting $24000 for a trade, I thought it would be nice to move up to the 2.5 and the other improvements.....It's the SAME color and nobody will know we even changed cars!
We used to do a lot of camping. A few years ago I sold everything, Suburban, camper etc. Now my wife is thinking about getting a tear drop camper (less than 1000lbs.), so the 2.5 should handle that easily, I hope.

Oh. Just a side note....The factory remote start, will start your car, turn the rear defroster on (if needed). BUT the fob is bulky and a little "quirky" to operate.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like everyone is okay thought (guess the IIHS was right!). Yeah, that's not a bad deal then.

Thanks for the mini-review of the remote start. I think more than any possible quirkiness or bulk, I'm more troubled by only coming with one remote. I can just picture the "Honey, where are your keys. I want to have the remote start today" all winter long. That could get annoying.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like everyone is okay thought (guess the IIHS was right!). Yeah, that's not a bad deal then.

Thanks for the mini-review of the remote start. I think more than any possible quirkiness or bulk, I'm more troubled by only coming with one remote. I can just picture the "Honey, where are your keys. I want to have the remote start today" all winter long. That could get annoying.

It does!

Latest posts

Back