2014 CX-5 Touring 2.5L PCM Issue

hypnosis4u2nv

:
2014 CX-5 Touring 2.5L
Bought the car about 2 months ago and so far have 1100 miles on it. The other day my wife was driving it and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with all the indicator lights. Then they abruptly turned off and the check engine light stayed on. She took it to the Mazda service center where they performed a diagnostic and pulled a code U0401. So they installed better software as per a TSB bulletin. Have had the car back and the lights haven't come back on although I feel the car is lethargic and doesn't downshift as quickly or often.

My question and concern is: There is no TSB for this type of behavior and the only information that I can find is that it would apply to a 2013 2.0L model. The dealer assured me that the programming is good as per Mazda Customer Care. Any thoughts if this fixes the problem or that they programmed the wrong PCM software?

CX5.jpg

Maybe the trans needs to "relearn' your diving style.

Wish I had known about this b4 getting my car yesterday, might have chosen the Subie instead.

Why?
What does this one completely unique and isolated incident have to do with your purchasing decision?

If there were 500 people on the forum complaining about the exact same symptoms, and the problems kept happening after every dealer worked on the car, I could understand your remorse in the purchase.
But that didn't happen, your car isn't affected, and the CEL and issue that the OP complained about was resolved.

So, why are you suffering from buyers remorse again?
Or were you just looking for a reason to dislike your car, and regret your purchase?

BC.

I have 60 miles on the ODO and there is a stutter when stopped at a light for more than 30 seconds. Tach drops 100-150 rpm every 30 seconds and CX-5 body shakes, which is strange for any brand new vehicle. I doubt the compressor is kicking in every 30 seconds. So today I looked around the engine bay and everything seems to be in order except the engine fuse box was loose and not clipped in and the windshield wiper fluid was empty, thank god I paid $700 for dealer prep - lol. I checked the filter for any obstruction and nothing so I am thinking it's either NORMAL or maybe the MAF or worse maybe the ECU might be the culprit. It's going back to the dealer tomorrow unless someone else can shed some light for a quick fix. I am sure it can be fixed, just disappointed to hear about the OPs situation.

RE: The Subaru 2.5i premium, for only a grand more otd, I could have had AWD and panoramic sunroof, it was a toss up so I chose the CX-5 based on looks, performance and the Motor Trend review.

RE: Bicycle, I have had many bikes and motorcycles, but in Florida it gets warm wearing 1/2" of leather from head to toe.

Leather from head to toe while riding bicycle, sounds like parade attire.

No Subie with droning flat 4 / CVT combo necessary. But then we have some guy that wishes he still had his Honda Fit. Get them to fix CX-5.

I can see you are the life of the party in this forum. I guess you haven't seen the idiots who drive while texting either?

I've rode road racing bikes over 6000 miles per year for 5 years straight, don't need to tell me about the idiots texting either. Not that it has anything to do with a droning Subie flat 4/CVT combo that you wish you had.

Neither one is the right car for you. Buy a bicycle, a fixed gear bicycle. Not one from WalMart either.

That's pretty damn funny.

Leather from head to toe while riding bicycle, sounds like parade attire.

No Subie with droning flat 4 / CVT combo necessary. But then we have some guy that wishes he still had his Honda Fit. Get them to fix CX-5.

LOL again...

I will extend some wisdom I learned from experience - if you do not like your car much from the very beginning, chances are, you likely will never really like it.

Consumer Reports recently rated the new Subaru Forester. It averaged 26 MPG compared to the 2.5 CX5 25 MPG. The CX5 has a predicted reliability of excellent and the Subaru Forester has a predicted reliability of good. Even though the Forester beat the CX5 in their fuel economy testing the CX5 was 1 second quicker to 60 mph than the Subaru Forester and the CX5 was also more fun to drive.

With the Subaru you get a MPFI 2.5 liter engine mated to a CTV transmission. With the CX5 you get direct fuel injection, the highest compression ratio of all on regular fuel, and a 6 speed automatic that has almost 90% lockup due to its innovative clutch pack in the torque converter. This clutch pack makes it feel like a manual transmission. The Subaru Forester is Consumer Reports top rated SUV but Consumer Reports states that its "plain, unpretentious demeanor hasn't helped it stand out to car shoppers in this crowded field".

The CX5 appeals to a more focused group of people with its sporty demeanor and innovative technology. The Subaru does not want to offend anyone and wants to appeal to as wide of a group as possible by being good at most everything but not great at anything.

I am biased somewhat but that is because I do not like boring vehicles.

I don't think Mello would be happy with any car. Too much risk of something going wrong.

SkyActiv is a new tech item and yes I am worried, but at least it has a warranty. I generally don't buy anything unless it has been on the market at least 2-3 years, so in getting this pretty little CUV I am taking a big leap of faith, new motor and all. I have had my share of trouble and repairs with this toy below (Supercharged Miata), but none of them had a warranty. So I feel a little better that I won't be reaching for a grand or two in the near future

Since this is a Mazda site, I can include my drift car. 1991 Miata had a ton of goodies including Wilwood brakes, CF hood, built motor, supercharger and the list goes on and on.
38cr.jpg

aoau.jpg

byq7.jpg

b7vn.jpg

xl4r.jpg

zn3.JPG

Last edited:

Knowing that you have made the wrong decision; than what would you have done if you had known what you know now before you bought? If you would have bought something else than please explain why you would have chosen a different vehicle over the CX5. We already know why you do not like your car so please do not relist those reasons.

Thanks

Knowing that you have made the wrong decision; than what would you have done if you had known what you know now before you bought? If you would have bought something else than please explain why you would have chosen a different vehicle over the CX5. We already know why you do not like your car so please do not relist those reasons.

I don't think logic will work in this situation.

I don't think logic will work in this situation.

Doesn't matter... I am stuck with it and will make the best of it for the next few years and just crank up the stereo and maybe add some Dynamat to absorb some of the road noise from the tires.
Yesterday the left door vibrated when I clipped a small pot hole ~5mph. This is the price paid for good gas mileage...a light weight vehicle.

V8toilet: I probably would have gotten the same SUV but waited another year for the kinks to be worked out. It's not like I have a choice at this point, the dealer won't take it back - I tried.

Back