Brake pedal "clunky"

lcann25

:
2014 CX-5
Hey Guys!

I am enjoying day 2 with my CX-5! However, I am noticing an annoying little problem with the brake pedal, it seems to have a bit of a resistance and a slight clunk feel when pressed for the first time durring a trip. Repeated presses after the first one aren't as noticeable. Any one else having this? I'd hate to have to take it in and have it looked at this soon, but I don't think this is normal...

Surface rust... The brake discs are made of cast iron which are prone to surface, and so are the brake pads which are made from semi-metallic materials (steel, asbestos, ceramic, copper, glass, etc). All this is normal and it wears off after the first hard braking. That is why it is recommended to drive the car if it is parked outdoors or in a high humidity area.

Look at brake discs of any parked car after it rains or right after a car wash...

No, I din't think I'm describing this properly, It's definitely not surface rust, this happens the second I touch the pedal, it's like it has to overcome something.. Takes more effort to push, then a clunk and everything is normal, but barely noticeable.. Wife doesn't notice but it's there, I can tell. More noticeable when driving for a long time without braking, the first stop it is there, then any stops again immediately after that its barely nothing - but always slightly there.

What you're describing is not normal. You have only one option and that is to take it back to the dealer asap.

No, I din't think I'm describing this properly, It's definitely not surface rust, this happens the second I touch the pedal, it's like it has to overcome something.. Takes more effort to push, then a clunk and everything is normal, but barely noticeable.. Wife doesn't notice but it's there, I can tell. More noticeable when driving for a long time without braking, the first stop it is there, then any stops again immediately after that its barely nothing - but always slightly there.

Now that I reread it and having you clarify it, you should definitely take it to service. Perhaps it is just pedal binding and hopefully not a hydraulic issue.

Now that I reread it and having you clarify it, you should definitely take it to service. Perhaps it is just pedal binding and hopefully not a hydraulic issue.

crawled under there and poke around and I believe the same thing, just a clunky plunger on the brake booster, definitely not a safety issue, I'll call it in for service when the first oil change is due.

I suspect it is the brake pads moving in the calipers. My last wo vehicles CX7 & a Forester) have done this on the first stop (forward or reverse) of the day.

Last edited:
Back