Getting polish/wax off the plastic trim?

:
Former 2013 CX-5 GT owner
Please, HOW? It doesn't matter how careful I am I always get some on the trim and it is almost impossible to get off. It's time for another polish/wax and there is still some residue from the last time. Any tips?

Should have masked the trim...

Use a Mr. Clean Magic eraser which is abrasive and has solvent in it to remove the residue. Make sure you mask the paint because it is highly abrasive. You can also try rubbing alcohol, a scrub sponge, and wipe a microfiber towel dampened in rubbing alcohol. Want something professional that removes the residue and dresses the plastics? Order Poorboy's Trim Restorer.

I've been using Turtle Wax ice on my cars for years and it's actually encouraged to put it on the black trim, and use it in the the Sun or the shade. It may not last as long as the best wax out there, but it's just so easy to use. 15-20 minutes start to finish.

Better off grabbing something else decent for the money if you're going to pay for a TW product.

I've used AutoGlym Fast Glass to remove wax residue from black plastic. It's a bit hard to find and expensive, but works (with their products anyway)

i use a white school pencil eraser.. just try it and you sill be impressed, no need to use the Magic eraser that is abrasive and has stupid chemicals in it that are bad for the paint and your skin.

Some great ideas, thanks. I used meguiars synthetic sealant 21 on the car last weekend and surprisingly it didn't leave any residue behind on the plastic on places I accidentally touched. Wiped off the plastic just like the paint. Can't remember what I waxed/polished with last year, but it left a residue. I also always had the same problem with my old escape plastic trim.
Looks like I'll be using the meguiars 21 from now on. The finish is great.

Yes, i also used back to black for the first time and it worked great. Nice mat finish and looked brand new. Easy to apply and remove.

i used a product called black wow on my wifes cx5 damn plastic payed a little more but is the only product that works comes with cleaner and protectant only have to use a SMALL amount took old polish off my speed3 yhat was in the plastic a year or better sometimes a degreaser works but will also take wax off better to tape first an ounce of cure is worth a pound of prevention

Dressing and protectant doesn't remove the wax/sealant from the pores of the plastic... It does exactly what the name suggests.

Just going to throw this out there - just did this a few weeks ago. The plastic on ours not only had some residual wax, but was also FILTHY. Just a wash didn't come close to making it look good. Personally, I think all of the products mentioned in this thread will do the trick, but what is important is how it is applied. Just like washing, simply rubbing it over the surface wont cut it.

I took a medium bristled brush, Mother's Back to Black (which I have been using for about 12 years now), and went to town. So, not only did it really clean deeply, but the Back to Black gives a nice sheen and protectant. What I like about it as well is that it is not overly greasy.

Anyway, in short, take a brush and elbow grease to it, and you'll get the wax and dirt out very well.

i use a white school pencil eraser.. just try it and you sill be impressed, no need to use the Magic eraser that is abrasive and has stupid chemicals in it that are bad for the paint and your skin.

I would never use what I would consider to be an "abrasive" eraser even though we are talking about the plastic and not the paint. Just to be clear, I'm talking about a non-abrasive "magic rub" eraser (made by sanford) and not the mr. clean "magic eraser"

The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser has been used for plastic trim since its been on the marker. It is find on porous/textured/uncoated plastic... Of course be cautious since it is abrasive and paint is near the trim. Never use it on vinyl or coated leather. Search the detailing forums. Us professionals have posted plenty about it, and if there are professionals that know how to keep every square inch of the car in tip-top shape, it would be us... But hey, do and use what ever you want.

Latest posts

Back