Spot the Lighting Mod

:
2014 & 2019 CX-5 Touring(s)
Close ups to follow (in case no-one can spot it)...

attachment.php

Light1.jpg

That was too easy. Now, feel free to include the details of the part you use and how you wired it (crimped to factory hatch light I assume).

Dang!

OK, well it's a sunvisor light from a scrapyard VW that was mounted in the headliner above/behind the sunvisors (I think this was from a Passat, but many VW's have them). Cost me $5 from the local You-pull-it, but you can get them - albeit, more expensive - off eBay. here's an example: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

It's placed over at the side, because that's where there's space above the Mazda's headliner with a cutout where the wires are routed into the rear door. And yes, I simply extended the wires and ran them across and down & attached them to the wires supplying the side trunk light.

I also replaced the old festoon bulb in the VW light (which is quite dim) for a couple of strips of 5050 LEDs.

More photos:

attachment.php

attachment.php

TrunkLight2.jpgTrunkLight3.jpg

Last edited:
I should add... there another type of VW dome light that looks very similar to this, but has a built in switch. DO NOT get this type. It's larger, and most importantly, deeper, so will not fit.

Do NOT get this type:

$T2eC16NHJHIE9nyseGtBBQ0ngI3u6!~~60_12.JPG

Cool mod!

It is strange that this didn't come on factory CX-5's...

Any night pictures so we can see it light up the cargo area?

-stumbles

Great job, I am going to order the eBay one, I would also like to see one when it is dark to see how effective it is.

Your wish... I just went out to take these. First with the factory (side) light OFF, then with it ON:

attachment.php

attachment.php

TrunkLightNight4.jpgTrunkLightNight5.jpg

Thanks for the pics and details, I have been trying to look around for a supplemental cargo light. I didn't want to put in an LED bulb after reading all the posts about it messing up rear lighting module, this mod though does look like a great alternative.

That looks awesome, but can a turn off switch not be used on the top light similar to the others in the car besides the one you said not to use? Also did you just loosen the headliner in the rear to get at the wires?

Last edited:
You can always add an on off switch... you could mount it at the side next to the factory light. Or maybe wire the supply into the factory light itself and use that switch for both. I didn't think of that when I put this one in.

not a bad idea, i was thinking of putting a "spot" led in the liftgate so it shined down when open kind of like a 'puddle light' but overhead

So u ran the wires Down and hooked up to white-ground and that blue/red wire? That is what is in the trunk light wires. Also do it with battery disconnected.

Dang!

OK, well it's a sunvisor light from a scrapyard VW that was mounted in the headliner above/behind the sunvisors (I think this was from a Passat, but many VW's have them). Cost me $5 from the local You-pull-it, but you can get them - albeit, more expensive - off eBay. here's an example: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

It's placed over at the side, because that's where there's space above the Mazda's headliner with a cutout where the wires are routed into the rear door. And yes, I simply extended the wires and ran them across and down & attached them to the wires supplying the side trunk light.

I also replaced the old festoon bulb in the VW light (which is quite dim) for a couple of strips of 5050 LEDs.

More photos:

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 203177View attachment 203178

Here is fine, just added the same light but on the other side, since mine is sport, no pull lever for the back seat, much better now. thinking doing something similar to the center storage box

photo light.jpg

Back