Fabric VS Leather in New Zealand

BODIE37

Hi guys . I am about to buy a SOUL RED CX5 2.5P . In new Zealand we have three models with 2.0P,2.5P or 2.2D..
Entry GLX. Middle one is GSX and top one is Limited.
We don't have any add on packs and tech kits available here . You get what you get and that's it.

The models in New Zealand are different to those overseas ..see www.mazda.co.nz ..I love all the features of the top Limited Model we have here in NZ . The only worry is that to have all the bells and whistles including the electric seat that gives me good support by tilting the base up a bit you HAVE to have Black Leather interior..not even a Grey or sand choice.

I found the cloth fabric seats to be softer , yet still had support and I didn't slip around in the seat like I did with the leather seats .

We range from 0 degrees C to 34 degrees C in the summer.

Am I right in thinking the cloth seemed softer and simply more comfortable and hugged me better ?
Do the black leather seats after a while become more comfortable with actual wear ?
Do they get hot and sticky in summer or does the perforations help ?
Are they harder in the winter and do they get so hot in the summer that it is unbearable ??
I see mixed reports on the heating side of things so I will test them on my third test ride this week later on.

I would prefer the cloth BUT I want all these features below and getting the leather seats changed to cloth by an auto upholster is a crazy idea.

I am torn as our top limited model has these features :(That I would love )
Bose
19" Mags
Advanced keyless entry
Blind Spot Mon
Bi-Xenon with Adaptive
Lane Departure warning
High Beam Control
Moonroof
8 way adjustable black leather seats.
The next model down (GSX)has none of the above features but does have cloth seats and runs on the softer riding 17" tyres..

The difference is $45000NZ$ to $55000NZ for the top model.

All models have tomtom and reverse cameras.

In two days I am trying out the neoprene seat covers that the dealer is getting in for me . See the Mazda Aussie website for these !
This might be a good compromise . I will let you know what happens .

Any feedback from leather owners would be appreciated , from what I understand though you got leather because it was your choice in the states so you will probably give all the positives, not like us in the little island in the pacific that have to Black Leather if you want all the goodies like a USA GT Touring.

Any input here would be gladly accepted.

Thank you

Last edited:
Well, first, you get leather only if you get the US GT model, and you don't have choice of cloth then (cloth is standard on Sport and Touring and you can't get leather).

I've had leather and cloth seats, and have black leather in my other car (sand cloth in my CX-5). There's NO DOUBT that leather gets hot, VERY hot, in bright sun. I generally leave my leather seats covered with a towel so I don't scald the back of my legs when I get back in. However, leather is easier to keep clean and wipe up spills or mud, than cloth. Not to say it's maintenance free though. You still have to treat it every so often to keep it supple and stop it drying/cracking. Cloth seats do hold you in place better when performance driving, but really, the CX-5 is not a performance car and the leather would be fine.

All in all, I'd give the objective preference to cloth. But then you lose that leather smell, and the cachet of a leather interior.

Your choice :)

I'm firmly in the leather camp. It can get hot in the sun sometimes, but that's minor compared to the ease of maintenance of leather. Cloth interiors always keep the smell of whatever you carried in the car for months after. If you have kids, those smells can get pretty bad!

Actually I too ended up with leather to get the other features I wanted, and I hate it. It's my first car with leather and it is definitely my last. Like you I have been looking into seat covers but I've heard the neoprene causes swamp ass so I personally ruled it out for me. I got some samples from a US company but just don't feel confident enough in any of them to bite the bullet and order.

I wish I could have gotten cloth for sure. I slide around like you mention but when I ride in DH's brand new 2014 Mazda 6 I feel nice and secure in the (cloth) seat.

I'm definitely going to be covering the leather as soon as I can find something that looks decent, doesn't cost a fortune and that feels right.

I have had several vehicles with leather interiors and would never own a vehicle that did not have leather.

Yea , Sorry 19" Alloys ;) I went and saw the Soul Red parked up tonight . Looks great . I am thinking cloth seats for me so the lower spec car . I also hear that the 17" wheels are a bit smoother and give a slightly softer ride than the 19's . I did notice that in the test drives .Gotta ask, anyone know what swamp ass is LOL ?

Actually I too ended up with leather to get the other features I wanted, and I hate it. It's my first car with leather and it is definitely my last. Like you I have been looking into seat covers but I've heard the neoprene causes swamp ass so I personally ruled it out for me. I got some samples from a US company but just don't feel confident enough in any of them to bite the bullet and order.

I wish I could have gotten cloth for sure. I slide around like you mention but when I ride in DH's brand new 2014 Mazda 6 I feel nice and secure in the (cloth) seat.

I'm definitely going to be covering the leather as soon as I can find something that looks decent, doesn't cost a fortune and that feels right.

I Have just googled swamp ass...no need to explain now LOL

Back