really hard shift into drive and back into park

HandA

:
Mazda3 and CX-5
Had a weird occurrence yesterday.

I'd just changed the oil and filter. About 15 minutes later started it up to go somewhere and it was seeming to idle a bit higher than normal for a cold start (about 75 out) but not much, couldn't have been over 1200-1500. Let it idle for 10 seconds or so and shifted into reverse. It made a loud thunk and pulled hard against the brakes. I shifted back into park and it made a really, really loud thunk with a bit of a clank at the end. I shut it down and popped the hood but nothing to see with the engine cover on. Checked the oil level and it was right.

Started it back up and it ran normal.

Mazda oil, Mazda filter and filled the filter with oil before screwing it on

Last edited:
Did you lift the car with a jack in order to get under it, or did you use ramps?

Was it parked on an incline when you were attempting to select gears?

no ramp and no jack when doing the oil change. I just slid under it on the level garage floor to get at the filter and started it up in the same spot. It didn't trigger any check engine lights or anything.

yeah, I'm hoping and guessing that it will be a one time occurrence but figured I'd toss it out here in case someone else has had similar. I just hit 30,000 miles so at least the powertrain warranty goes longer than 36,000.

There must have been some load on the parking pawl of the transmission... Did you use your parking brake at all prior to all this?

typically I'll pull the parking brake on in the garage just out of habit but I don't remember specifically in that instance.

After paying attention to the RPMs at start-up it seems it was right within normal range.

And it made the loudest noise when I shifted back into park.

It really seemed to be engaging the transmission rather than turning the torque converter as it was pulling pretty strongly against the brakes.

Back