Factory Trailer Hitch Photos

jdbrian

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GS AWD
DSCF8634.jpg DSCF8636.jpg DSCF8638.jpg

First time posting Pics. Hope this works

I got the Factory hitch installed at the dealer last week. It seemed to take them several hours to do it. They normally do not install hitches so this was the first one they have done. It's up tight against the bumper. I'm not sure I like the wiring being external to the car. Even though it has a rubber plug on the socket it's still exposed to dirt and salt spray. I'm planning to weld up a cover for the receiver and I may extend it so that it protects the wiring socket from direct exposure.

Last edited:
I dont really like what im looking at on the picture here, seem really tight agaisnt the bumper as u said. Plus im guessing this was very expensive considering its oem and that you got it install at the dealer. I will install Curt hitch and wiring myself tomorrow on my CX-5 and it will cost me 170$ CAD for both.

www.hitchweb.com
best price and customer service i found

I did mine in the driveway on my back...

It's amazing that a shop with proper tools and resources can't do a more proper job. smh

Edmunds long term test of 2014 CX-5, they manually installed the factory hitch and correct they had to CUT the bumper.
Go back to the dealer and have them properly do the install.

That's definitely not a correct install. They have to cut a notch there.

I think they forgot to cut the notch in the bumper that lets it sit lower.

How would cutting a notch let it sit lower? That would make it higher wouldn't it? Is it possible that they have changed the hitch to make it so that you don't need to cut a notch. I haven't seen another factory install to compare to this one.

Ok, I think I see what you mean now. The notch should be on the underside of the bumper skin at the front? In the pictures it looks like the underside of the bumper is forced up a bit by the hitch. I'll have to look at it closer to see what it looks like. I just stuck the camera under there to get the pictures. I can't see anything wrong from behind the car.

I dont really like what im looking at on the picture here, seem really tight agaisnt the bumper as u said. Plus im guessing this was very expensive considering its oem and that you got it install at the dealer. I will install Curt hitch and wiring myself tomorrow on my CX-5 and it will cost me 170$ CAD for both.

www.hitchweb.com
best price and customer service i found

I got this included in the initial purchase (including installation) so I can't put a $ figure on what I payed. Overall I am very happy with the deal I made. I was going to go the aftermarket route but just before I bought I read that the Curt hitches were rubbing on the exhaust system and causing noises so I decided to go with the factory hitch. I'm sure they will resolve this soon but I didn't want to take the chance of having to deal with that issue.

Did my my class III Curt hitch this weekend. 130 bucks and is perfect. Stealerships have no shame...

Also have a Curt Class III hitch, self-installed, no noise or issues, and it doesn't requiring cutting the bumper. I believe the hitch design was revised and the rubbing issue is now non-existent.

Back