Just Upgraded to a 2014 Grand Touring

sylva143

:
2014 Mazda CX 5 GT
Well, a trip to the dealership for an oil change led to much more than that. Having purchased the 2013 Sport model last June, I was mostly satisfied with my purchase until the new, more powerful engine came out this year. I was also attracted to the features available in the GT, including the 19 inch wheels, backup camera, dual zone air, blind spot monitoring, electric seat adjustments, etc. I also liked the two-tone leather interior which seems to brighten up the cabin and make the car look a bit more expensive. I'm also finding the pear white exterior to be a bit more exciting than the previous gray.

The dealer sold the GT to me for $100 over invoice, and they allowed $18,500 on my 2013 with over 21,000 miles, which I thought was a fair deal. Extending out my payments for one more year yielded a payment about $60 more per month (managable), and I also added on a 100,000 warranty which will help to keep me in this car for the duration. I did take a loss on the custom Katzkin seats I installed last winter, although I'm sure that added feature helped with the resale value.

My first driving impressions are quite startling when compared to the 2013. Of course, the larger wheels/tires make an improvement in handling, but the biggest difference I notice so far is the much quieter engine. New tires help to reduce road noise, but I'm also wondering if Mazda improved sound insolation over the 2013. Any thoughts??? Acceleration, of course, is improved.

Many out there in the world are probably wondering if I've gone crazy trading a car after one year, so I was hoping to get some sympathy/support from the folks on this board. If anything, I have soothed my regrets for settling for the Sport model in the first place. When purchased one year ago, it was the only version on the lot, so I had nothing to compare it to.

I'm interested in hearing from others, especially those who have traded for a 2014 Touring or Grand Touring. Are you happy with your decision?

congrats.

I think something like that isn't one of those decisions that you can quantify on a spreadsheet but either just feels right or not to you personally.

How does the $18,500 they gave compare to what kbb.com shows for trade? I ran mine the other day on there and it was nearly a $8,000 drop from my out the door price on mine. That was depressing, although expected.

Last edited:
No offence, but I do not understand why people do this to themselves. If there is the slightest thread of doubt or displeasure when you're signing on the dotted line, maybe sleep on it?

The dealer has essentially steam rolled you, OP, for the sake of heated leather seats, auto climate, 19" wheels and a slightly larger engine.

But, whatever floats your boat!

No offence, but I do not understand why people do this to themselves. If there is the slightest thread of doubt or displeasure when you're signing on the dotted line, maybe sleep on it?

The dealer has essentially steam rolled you, OP, for the sake of heated leather seats, auto climate, 19" wheels and a slightly larger engine.

But, whatever floats your boat!

Seems a bit harsh, but OP you're not alone. I too traded in my 13 for a 14. I had a touring and traded it in with just under 20k on it as well. I bought another touring but got the tech package this time instead. I ended up taking about a $10k hit when all was said and done and don't get me wrong that hurt, but it was the best decision I've made in a while. The new engine isn't struggling anymore and there's this "step down" or "kick down" button under the gas pedal that drops it a gear when you mash the throttle, which is convenient (it may have been on the 13, but I never noticed it). I don't feel like I have to manual mode on the highway to get around people anymore. They adjusted the shift points on the newer transmission which is most notable right at 40 mph. The car won't let you go into 6th, which isn't a huge deal but was something that I noticed. I love my new car and will NOT be trading it in anytime soon, unless I want to get divorced.

Maybe in general it's not a great value to take the initial depreciation on two new cars in such a short timeframe but, everyone's needs and financial situations are different. Some people don't wear the same shoes twice.

Personally, you would have to pay me to take the bigger engine or the heavier 19" wheels. I love driving the little 2.0L and wringing it out when I want more get up and go. I would be hard pressed to get over 500 miles on a single tank with the 2.5L.

And who wants to go to the gas station more often than necessary?

Different people have different priorities so I can totally understand someone not picking the car they really lusted after on the first go around. Especially if that car wasn't even offered at the time. But I wouldn't say the dealer "steam-rolled" anyone. Fact is, new cars do take a big depreciation right off the bat.

I ended up taking about a $10k hit when all was said and done

Ouch, I'd need one of those drugs that helps erase memories of recent traumatic events after that.

To each their own so I can't pass judgement on how someone else spends their money but my mind would just continually run through other things I could have spent that on: AC for the garage (plus the expense of running it a lot), a $35,000 car the first time, a car that guzzled gas instead, a used Miata along with the CX5...

But like Mike said everyone has their own priorities so enjoy!

If you can afford it and it makes you happy then by all means.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback, even the not so positive! I thought I could live with the 2.0, but I've had several situations lately that really had me questioning the available power. We have many outdated exit/entry ramps in this city that are much too short, along with several merging nightmares that lend themselves to a bit more power.

Yes, I did make an expensive mistake the first go-around, but if you really are not satisfied with your $23K purchase, then maybe there is some merit in spending more for something you really appreciate every day.

I am definitely more inclined to keep this car for 5-6 years. I even incentivized that by purchasing the 100,000 mile warranty, so that I'll have that extra peace of mind after the first couple of years (I drive 20,000 plus per year).

Yes, I did make an expensive mistake the first go-around, but if you really are not satisfied with your $23K purchase, then maybe there is some merit in spending more for something you really appreciate every day.

That's pretty much what it comes down to, which option is going to make you the most happy. Being unhappy on a daily basis with a car can easily be worse than spending a bit more each month on a different car.

I agree that I wasn't steam-rolled. It was all my decision, and I could have walked away at any time. I really think they gave me a great trade in price of $18,500, plus $100 over invoice for the GT.

Have you noticed a huge change in mpg? I am, of course seeing a decrease, and I expect to see that, but I'll be interested in seeing if that improves over the next 12 months. If I end up getting 1 or 2 less mpg, then it will be an acceptable tradeoff for the added power.

Congrats on the nicely equipped new GT, you will enjoy it thoroughly.

Since the deal was a trade of a year-old car, it's going to be expensive even being a CX-5 with lower depreciation rate than most cars. Agreed, the 1-2 mpg loss of MPG is acceptable to many considering the significant increase in power.

Hey, not trying to be harsh; just honest.
As if automobiles aren't a poor enough investment already...

And by steamrolled, I simply mean you are now your dealer's best friend. That's why they send out mailers 24/7 to promote trade-ups, because it is an absolute cash cow for them.

But, in regards to taking the hit for something that you will enjoy every day - I simply have no argument against that.
Some things are definitely worth paying for, especially when it comes to doing better than simply being satisfied or complacent. So, congrats!

Interesting posts and I can't fault people for upgrading. If for no other reason, life's way too short to not be happy. Looking at a 2014 CX-5 myself and playing the whole what-if 2.2L Diesel comes out in 2015? How about 2.2L D with AWD and MT (USA)? Would I trade in a 2014 for that? Tough question!!! Probably would. Should I wait? Sigh...

I was going to buy my CX-5 about a two weeks ago, then made the mistake of considering a 6 MT Touring (nice car). Now the 2.2D thoughts have me second guessing too.

Well, a trip to the dealership for an oil change led to much more than that. Having purchased the 2013 Sport model last June, I was mostly satisfied with my purchase until the new, more powerful engine came out this year. I was also attracted to the features available in the GT, including the 19 inch wheels, backup camera, dual zone air, blind spot monitoring, electric seat adjustments, etc. I also liked the two-tone leather interior which seems to brighten up the cabin and make the car look a bit more expensive. I'm also finding the pear white exterior to be a bit more exciting than the previous gray.

The dealer sold the GT to me for $100 over invoice, and they allowed $18,500 on my 2013 with over 21,000 miles, which I thought was a fair deal. Extending out my payments for one more year yielded a payment about $60 more per month (managable), and I also added on a 100,000 warranty which will help to keep me in this car for the duration. I did take a loss on the custom Katzkin seats I installed last winter, although I'm sure that added feature helped with the resale value.

My first driving impressions are quite startling when compared to the 2013. Of course, the larger wheels/tires make an improvement in handling, but the biggest difference I notice so far is the much quieter engine. New tires help to reduce road noise, but I'm also wondering if Mazda improved sound insolation over the 2013. Any thoughts??? Acceleration, of course, is improved.

Many out there in the world are probably wondering if I've gone crazy trading a car after one year, so I was hoping to get some sympathy/support from the folks on this board. If anything, I have soothed my regrets for settling for the Sport model in the first place. When purchased one year ago, it was the only version on the lot, so I had nothing to compare it to.

I'm interested in hearing from others, especially those who have traded for a 2014 Touring or Grand Touring. Are you happy with your decision?

Same here, traded my 2013 Touring for the 2014 GT 3 months ago and haven't look back since then! Congrats!

Interesting posts and I can't fault people for upgrading. If for no other reason, life's way too short to not be happy. Looking at a 2014 CX-5 myself and playing the whole what-if 2.2L Diesel comes out in 2015? How about 2.2L D with AWD and MT (USA)? Would I trade in a 2014 for that? Tough question!!! Probably would. Should I wait? Sigh...

I was going to buy my CX-5 about a two weeks ago, then made the mistake of considering a 6 MT Touring (nice car). Now the 2.2D thoughts have me second guessing too.

Get both!

At this point, it is just a waiting game for me - waiting on Mazda to drop that oil burner into the 6.

MikeM, what size rims and tires are you running? I would assume you have the auto?
I have 2 sets of wheels - the Touring OEM and a lighter aftermarket set with winter tires in the same size. MPG is very close between the two sets from what I can tell so far. And yes, AWD Auto.

I had a 2012 Jeep Patriot limited, I can hear the critics now, but I was a Jeep guy (had a Jeep TJ and always liked the Cherokee, not the 2014 of course) and that was the only Jeep option that made sense doing a lot of Km's and could function as a work vehicle. I had it about 4 months and traded it in for my 2013 Cx-5. The difference in driving experience was unreal in the 2 vehicles. I took a big hit on the trade, but my total monthly cost of ownership still leans towards the Mazda because it is so good on gas, (9.0L/100km vs 13.5L/100km). So sometimes it makes sense for different situations. **** it you only live once......to me a car is like your bed, you are in it all the time so it should be comfortable.

Back