Upgrade CX5 AWD shocks for better ride, stock height - any suggestions?

delbrueggemd

:
14' Mazda CX-5 Touring, AWD
I just purchased my 2014 CX5 AWD, I love it but am looking for upgraded shocks for getter ride quality and better handling on the road.

Thanks

I just purchased my 2014 CX5 AWD, I love it but am looking for upgraded shocks for getter ride quality and better handling on the road.

Thanks
Congratulations on your new CX-5!

As to your desire to improve the ride and handling, it's difficult to provide productive advice if you don't explain what you would like to achieve.

A term like "better handling" has different meanings depending upon what your intended usage is. Also, what do you mean by "better ride quality". Do you want it more soft or more firm? What do you notice that you would like to see improved?

As time goes on, there will be increasing availability of dampers with different damping rates and a wider selection of spring rates and other custom parts to suit more specialized needs but it doesn't happen overnight because, frankly, the demand is not that high. I attribute that to the fact that it's a new, relatively low volume model and additionally, the handling is, by almost all accounts, the best balanced and the sportiest of all small suv's (or large for that matter). For these two reasons demand for custom suspension parts is quite low.

What (specifically) would you like to achieve?

Call KW, Koni, Bilstein, Ohlin, Penske, or Anze. Throw a few grand of cash at them to have a custom design/valved shock for you.

I can't get my head round buying a new car only to start rebuilding it?

Why not buy a older car out of warranty, that probably needs new suspension.

Isn't lowering the car defeating the object of having a car with a high riding position?

As the most obvious solution is to lower the car, add sports suspension, add bigger wheels perhaps.
Which will most probably make the ride harder.

Which isn't really the point of a SUV is it?

I can't get my head round buying a new car only to start rebuilding it?

Why not buy a older car out of warranty, that probably needs new suspension.

Isn't lowering the car defeating the object of having a car with a high riding position?

As the most obvious solution is to lower the car, add sports suspension, add bigger wheels perhaps.
Which will most probably make the ride harder.

Which isn't really the point of a SUV is it?

Those may not be factors that were part of him/her choosing to buy the CX-5, a crossover SUV. It could have been MPG, styling, internal space, or other factors. As far as "SUV" is concerned, we could be talking about a CX-5 or a Nissan Armada, very different capabilities but both referred to as an SUV.

you're best bet is to contact koni... with their line of inserts they likely have the best chance of having something that works and something that is valved well...

Back