Dead Battery Hill Start with push button?

twellman

:
2013 CX5
Perhaps this question has been answered already, but if so I was unable to find it. I have a manual CX5... if the battery goes dead and I want to get it started on a hill, would I get it rolling, let out the clutch in the appropriate gear, and then hit the start button?

Thanks!

That's a damn good question.
The manual does say not to do a pop-the-clutch start, though it didn't say how to do that.

That's a damn good question.
The manual does say not to do a pop-the-clutch start, though it didn't say how to do that.

I don't get it.

Why would they tell you how to do something that they told you not to do?

The only recommended way to start a CX-5 (and almost all new cars sold today) with a low or dead battery is with a jump start. Instructions are in the manual if you are not familiar.

On manual shift cars, you can roll the car, push down the clutch, put it in 1st gear, then let go of the clutch and the car will start, no need to turn the key in the ignition.
I had to do this on my old 1990 toyota a lot cuz it was falling apart.

The OP's question is if there's no other way to charge the battery to start the car, is how to do this method since it uses the push button start.

My guess is push the button twice to turn on the power (assuming there is enough juice left to get that far) and then pop start as you normally would by rolling up to speed and popping the clutch.

Perhaps this question has been answered already, but if so I was unable to find it. I have a manual CX5... if the battery goes dead and I want to get it started on a hill, would I get it rolling, let out the clutch in the appropriate gear, and then hit the start button?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, that won't accomplish what you want to do if your battery is completely flat.

If it is just low enough to not crank over the starter, then you set the ignition to on, where all your dashboard lights have lit up, and then you can pop the clutch while rolling, which will fire up the engine, and get the alternator turning, and generating electricity.

If the battery is completely flat, since you can't turn the ignition to on, you will need to charge the battery to the point where you can get it to this level.

BC.

Last edited:
On manual shift cars, you can roll the car, push down the clutch, put it in 1st gear, then let go of the clutch and the car will start, no need to turn the key in the ignition.
I had to do this on my old 1990 toyota a lot cuz it was falling apart.

The OP's question is if there's no other way to charge the battery to start the car, is how to do this method since it uses the push button start.

Always use 2nd gear, not 1st, unless you want to headbutt the steering wheel and kangaroo down the road.

When cats were first fitted the advise was not to bump start a petrol car, as the petrol could damage the cat, I'm not sure if that still applies.

At any rate a "power station" is quite cheap nowadays, so I would recommend you carry one if a jump start is required.

Latest posts

Back