Best Gas Mileage to date: 333 miles All city milles

TampaMS3

:
2016 CX-5 Grand Touring
I have to tell you, the gas mileage on this car is absolutely amazing. With my 20 wheels this car get great mileage Im very happy

A20x10x40 (ET40) Tires 275x40x20

alxty.jpg

gas1x.jpg

gas2x.jpg

gas3.jpg

$3.33 ?!??!?!?! Haven't seen that for years in Southern California :(

I have to tell you, the gas mileage on this car is absolutely amazing. With my 20” wheels this car get great mileage I’m very happy

A20x10x40 (ET40) Tires 275x40x20

If you're happy with getting less than 28 mpg during 83 degree weather in what looks like a rural/suburban flatland with lots of long straight roads, then more power to you.

But I wouldn't attribute the "good" mileage to your overly heavy wheels. What you are seeing is the effect of Skyactiv technologies and design philosophies returning better than expected mpg INSPITE OF your heavy wheels. I guarantee your mpg will rise if you put some 17" OEM wheels/tires on and continue driving the same areas in the same conditions.

Your BEST tank returned worse MPG than my ABSOLUTE WORSE tank since my car was new 9000 miles ago. And I've religiously tracked every tank and driven through many winter snowstorms, headwinds, etc. in AWD vs. FWD. Of course I do have considerably lighter wheels.

Well I hope OP meant that he is happy with his CX-5's fuel efficiency despite the obviously (much) larger/heavier set up.

Reasonable MPG for mostly city driving, although it's only 1 tank.

Didn't notice till now that they changed the layout of the electronic gauges between 2013 and 2014 models. The 2014 adopted a style similar to the European ones from the looks of it.

Reporting my first mileage after 5 days of ownership.
Picked up 2014 GS AWD this past Saturday. 25 km on the dash. Wife drove it from dealership to home (180 km on highway). With the idling at the dealership and heavy foot, 120+km/hour speeds, the consumption shown over the weekend was 10.8L/100km. Rather dissapointing I thought.
Monday morning I reset the average L/100km and I drove the car to work for 4 days. I consider my drive to work to be mostly city driving (3km city, 2 km highway, 3 km city, 2 km highway, 2.5 km city). City speeds are 50km/hour, highway are 90km/hour (well not really highway I must say), 16 traffic lights . Outside temperature has been anywhere between 17 -27 Celsius(ideal conditions). So far after 4 days, the car reading is fluctuating between 7.8 and 7.9L/100 km. I did drive it very gently though but I did not hold up traffic behind me. I like this fuel economy a lot better and I am sure I could get better if I had longer highway drives. Last night I filled up (topped it up) and the km range shown was 640km. I think the car is returning very good fuel economy given the drive, especially if it can be improved after engine break-in.
Wife will drive the car to her work next week. I am curious about her consumption, I do know it will be higher, just curious about how much higher.
OctSk

Didn't notice till now that they changed the layout of the electronic gauges between 2013 and 2014 models. The 2014 adopted a style similar to the European ones from the looks of it.

I understand it's the tech pack that gets you that gauge, but it is nice to have compared to the other one.

Excellent. What is the CX-5 replacing and how does the fuel consumption compare?

It replaces a 01 GT Toyota Celica. I loved that car and I miss her lots but it had to go. It only had 84000 km on it and it drove like nothing else..but since we had a baby 21 months ago, we wanted to have 2 cars that would serve that purpose.The driveability was one big factor on why we picked the Mazda as it did remind me to a certain extent of the Celica. Fuel consumption was only slightly better than CX 5 (close to 7.5 l/100km, all city driving.

I drove 364 miles will 3 ticks left, North GA to Orlando Florida. Convinced that 400+ would have been achievable.

I drove 364 miles will 3 ticks left, North GA to Orlando Florida. Convinced that 400+ would have been achievable.
Yes, over 400 is very possible. I have at least 6 tanks to prove it (most with 15% or more city driving). Best tank is 456 miles. 2013 AWD.

Just went 443.2 miles on one tank. This thing just keeps amazing me.

Just went 443.2 miles on one tank. This thing just keeps amazing me.

very good 443.2 wow and this is with regular gas 87? mine was with regular gas. if I put super unleaded I can't imagine what this motor can do. so to me the best UPGRADE seems to be putting the Super Unleaded gas, I will try that when I go on a long trip, good job Mazda ...oh and this is the second CX5 my wife got one last year, I liked it so much I had to get one too.

cx52b.jpg

Last edited:
very good 443.2 wow and this is with regular gas 87? mine was with regular gas. if I put super unleaded I can't imagine what this motor can do. so to me the best UPGRADE seems to be putting the Super Unleaded gas, I will try that when I go on a long trip, good job Mazda ...

I filled with 92 octane one tank. Actually, I accidentally selected Premium instead of regular. But it didn't appear to improve my regular MPG at all. But if you try Premium, let us know the results. It certainly won't hurt anything.

oh and this is the second CX5 my wife got one last year, I liked it so much I had to get one too.

Congratulations!

That's one of the best owner endorsements I've heard!

I use this car almost exclusively for my commute to work (95% interstate with cruise set at 69 mph) and the wifes Mazda 5 for everything else on the weekends. When I tried a few tanks of 93 octane I noted that there was no difference in fuel mileage or power. I used a G-tech to measure the 0-60 time and it was slightly slower with the 93 octane, which could because of anything. The temperature and weather conditions were similar. Point being the higher octane didn't net me better mileage or significantly more power if any. Mazda did a great job tuning this engine to run on 87 octane.

By reading the title thread and looking at the pictures one could say "hey those are decent hybrid SUV numbers".

getting 28 MPG all city driving means you drive like a 80 year old retried grandmother...lol

I got 22 and I dont even floor it.

Back