Non-OEM Hitch

mggm1220

Does installing a non-OEM hitch (Curt, Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, etc.) void Mazda's warranty? Thinking about purchasing a Curt hitch since Mazda's OEM hitch is expensive. Thanks.

It should not void a warranty but, only Mazda Corp can tell. Write them and ask for the answer in writing. Ed

The only way it can void the warranty is if it or the installation causes the failure of the specific part you are trying to get warrantied.

good writeup on it:
http://www.edmunds.com/auto-warranty/what-voids-your-vehicles-warranty.html

For instance if you screw part of the hitch into the car and that screw shorts out a wire then replacing the wiring harness will not be covered under warranty.

The term "Void your warranty" gets thrown around a lot; especially by salesman.

But if you put aftermarket wipers on your car and your sunroof stops opening then they will still warranty the sunroof. However, if you use an aftermarket air filter on your car that comes apart, gets sucked into the engine and causes problems then Mazda won't pay for the diagnosis or repair.

I worked in a shop years ago where a mechanic installed a rechargeable flashlight in a car and when he was done the car wouldn't start. A mounting screw had hit the wire for the fuel pump on the other side of the spot where he was mounting it. The vehicle manufacture certainly wouldn't pay for the diagnosis or repair of that but if the wheel bearing went out on the car then it would still be covered.

The plus of sticking with one manufacture is it avoids the blame game where each one says the others product caused the problem.

Last edited:
The only way it can void the warranty is if it or the installation causes the failure of the specific part you are trying to get warrantied.

good writeup on it:
http://www.edmunds.com/auto-warranty/what-voids-your-vehicles-warranty.html

For instance if you screw part of the hitch into the car and that screw shorts out a wire then replacing the wiring harness will not be covered under warranty.

The term "Void your warranty" gets thrown around a lot; especially by salesman.

But if you put aftermarket wipers on your car and your sunroof stops opening then they will still warranty the sunroof. However, if you use an aftermarket air filter on your car that comes apart, gets sucked into the engine and causes problems then Mazda won't pay for the diagnosis or repair.

I worked in a shop years ago where a mechanic installed a rechargeable flashlight in a car and when he was done the car wouldn't start. A mounting screw had hit the wire for the fuel pump on the other side of the spot where he was mounting it. The vehicle manufacture certainly wouldn't pay for the diagnosis or repair of that but if the wheel bearing went out on the car then it would still be covered.

The plus of sticking with one manufacture is it avoids the blame game where each one says the others product caused the problem.

Thanks for the link.

I was looking at this hitch, by Curt.
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Mazda/CX-5/2014/C13127.html?vehicleid=20148678

Anybody have it? Opinions?

Last edited:
Lots of posts here on Curt hitches. They're great. Learn to use the search function. Any particular reason you're looking at class III over class II (which meets Mazda specs for the vehicle and is cheaper)?

Lots of posts here on Curt hitches. They're great. Learn to use the search function. Any particular reason you're looking at class III over class II (which meets Mazda specs for the vehicle and is cheaper)?

I know how to use the search function, I've been on other forums for years.

I'm guilty of not even trying this time, though. I've searched other topics, and didn't get many, if any, relevant results. I just assumed this vehicle/forum was still too new. I'll make sure to search next time.

I'm thinking of going with a class III because they're rated for heavier tow/load. Maybe(actually, definitely) a little overkill for my plans, but I'd rather play it safe.

Hey ESPINOZA510,

I just installed that exact hitch on my CX-5 this past weekend. Install was pretty easy with a second set of hands and it looks great. This is my first hitch and from the research I gathered, Class III was preferred by most because it has more fitment options.

I was able to buy it for ~$138 shipped through AutoAnything using an online coupon code.

Hey ESPINOZA510,

I just installed that exact hitch on my CX-5 this past weekend. Install was pretty easy with a second set of hands and it looks great. This is my first hitch and from the research I gathered, Class III was preferred by most because it has more fitment options.

I was able to buy it for ~$138 shipped through AutoAnything using an online coupon code.

Yeah, the install seems simple enough, with a buddy to help. The 2" receiver seems to be the standard, which also had to do with choosing that hitch.

$138 seems like a good deal.

Be aware that you CANNOT tow anything heavier (or put any greater tongue load on) with a class III hitch. The vehicle itself is the limiting factor. By all means get the class III for the 2" receiver, but that's the only reason.

Couple of potential issues I see with the. First, unless you have an awfully tall bike carrier, the strap is going to contact the trailing edge of the (plastic) spoiler just above the center high stop light and will abraid the paint (unless you applied some sort of protective tape to the area). Second, if that happens to be where the cinching buckle falls, you're screwed.

Back