Clutch Chatter when cold

CX5Dude

:
Mazda CX5 GX 6 Speed
I get clutch chatter when engine is cold usually first drive of the day. ( vibrations when releasing the clutch to start off) After approx ten minutes of driving the clutch operation becomes smooth. Has anyone else expirenced this. I have 18,000km on the odometer.

clutches are starting to do this more due to the friction materials getting grippier and pressure plates getting slightly lighter (so pedal effort isn't high)... not saying there isn't a problem, but it does happen...

either give it less throttle, or engage the clutch sooner...

I get only a tiny chatter but it is only when I take off first thing in the morning while it's cold and the idle hasn't settled down yet. I've attributed it to the cold idle more than anything else.

I have only ever owned manual transmissions and have never experienced this. No amount of light clutch release will prevent it from chattering when cold. Had the dealer note it at the last service to get it documented during the one year consumable parts warranty. Once the weather gets a little colder, will leave it overnight at the dealer when the Mazda service rep visits so that I can duplicate it for him. Until that occurs, they think the problem is between the seat and the steering wheel. Miata had this problem in the early 2000's and a TSB was issued to replace the clutch with a different material.

I get clutch chatter when engine is cold usually first drive of the day. ( vibrations when releasing the clutch to start off) After approx ten minutes of driving the clutch operation becomes smooth. Has anyone else expirenced this. I have 18,000km on the odometer.

I also experience clutch chatter when the car is cold.
It is most apparent when backing up-hill with a cold car and less so when launching uphill in 1st.

My car has done this since new, but this is my first stick shift car, so I have always attributed it to me not giving it enough gas on launch. After 13,000 miles I am sure that my technique is good and that the problem is with the car.

Probably related: While pumping the clutch with the car off I can hear a squeaky sound coming form under the hood. It sounds like something needs some lube under there, or maybe some cylinder seals are a little bit sticky. I can also "feel" this squeaky sound as a slight stiction when slowly releasing the clutch pedal (easiest to observe with the car off).

I already had the dealer look at my clutch operation. On the "report" from the inspection someone circled: "needs future attention", but crossed it out and circled that everything is fine. At the time of the inspection I didn't have spare time to push the dealer to look into it further, but soon I'll be visiting again.

Often a few fast launches will fix the problem.

Launch hard at high rpm but do not do it consecutively so the plates become more glazed or burnt.

Often a few fast launches will fix the problem.

Launch hard at high rpm but do not do it consecutively so the plates become more glazed or burnt.

Good point.
After my wife drives the car, the clutch seems to engage much smoother and not chatter for a couple days. Maybe I should have her drive it more often :)
She tends to use higher RPM when starting from a stop and she slips the clutch a lot more than I do.

Mazda had this issue with the Miata back in early 2000. They came out with better friction material. Waiting for winter and will leave it overnight so the DPSM can drive it cold the next day. This will turn into a TSB, but will take some time unless owners, have it documented on each service ticket.

So I got fed up with the rattles and the clutch chatter. Traded it for a 2016 manual 6 speed and clutch is perfect. My daughter who is a new driver noticed the improvement immediately. The sales manager wanted my 2013 for his wife and called me a week later to ask what was up with the clutch. Told him his service tech said there was no problem so he should suck it up.

Never had any problem with my CX-5, but I only have 6,000 miles on it. My Escape, with 217,600 miles and the original clutch, has gone through short periods when it would chatter on cold, damp mornings, but it goes away and is rare.

I got over 7K now, clutch is pretty smooth. Sometimes I feel it slips a little bit too much, but I think that's just me with my heavy right foot. My only complaint is that the light clutch is kinda vague feeling.

Mine still occasionally chatters first thing in the morning.
Letting my wife drive, or a hard launch, or a few un-revmatched down shifts seem to clear things up for a while before it starts acting up again.

Mine still occasionally chatters first thing in the morning.
Letting my wife drive, or a hard launch, or a few un-revmatched down shifts seem to clear things up for a while before it starts acting up again.

mine does it as well but only occasionally on cold mornings, my old protege5 used to have a serious problem with clutch chatter,traded her in at 180k km for a new mazda 3.

Back