Is your engine a little noisy?

ZiaCX-5

:
2014 CX-5 Grand Touring FWD
I am relying on "there is no dumb question".

I have owned a 2005 Mazda 3 for three years now. Great car. First Mazda I had ever owned. I bought it used (obviously) and the previous owner had put in a cold air intake. The engine always sounded like it had a little "tick" to it, and I just thought it was the cold air intake. It has been a great car. I have put over 35K miles on it. I started researching the CX-5 and liked what I saw. I know a young couple that own a 2013 CX-5 Touring, and contacted them about their CX-5. They love it. They had a major issue with the transmission, but Mazda did replace it (of course) as it was defective in some manor. They went on and on about how much they enjoyed their CX-5. They were gracious enough to allow us to "test drive" theirs because we live in a town without a Mazda dealership. We loved it. I did, however, think that when we "test drove" our friends CX-5, that the engine did sound a little odd. I did some more review searching and actually watched a couple of video reviews where I could hear the engine running while the reviewer was talking. I thought they sounded a little funny as well, so I thought it was normal. Researching the engine a little more, I thought this might be because of the compression ratios that Mazda uses with their SkyActiv Technology. We did purchase our 2014 CX-5 GT FWD, and absolutely love it! But every once in a while, I think the engine sounds a little noisy when running ( at idol ). It does not seem as "smooth" or "quiet" as others.

Am I just crazy? Sorry for the long post, but any input would be greatly appreciated!

Not at all. The exhaust gas pulses through the 4-2-1 header makes it almost sound like a small modern clean diesel engine at idle. The high pressure direct injection fuel system doesn't help with keeping noise down either.

Back