Question about oil change

BB33

hello guys,

Is it ok to get the oil changed earlier than every 5,000 miles? I just got my 2014 cx 5 in february and I scheduled an oil change for June sometime. Because its a new car I want to make sure everything is going properly if that makes sense. I dont think I will have the tires rotated because thats too early but definatley oil change etc. What do you all think?

I hate to ask, but why do you think that changing the engine oil is going to make sure that everything is going properly?

Honestly, if you feel that changing the engine oil is going to help you sleep better at night, change it whenever you want.
That's the only true benefit that will actually occur.

I'm waiting for the 5k mile mark for my car, and I bought mine after you did (March).

BC.

I may wait 7500 as recommended in schedule A, but also may give in and do it every 5k. I trust that the Mazda engineers know what is needed for their creation.

As Bladecutter says though, if it makes you feel better, change it as often as you like. No harm will come from excessive maintenance.

I change mine every 5K. I do it myself, so the cost isn't as big an issue. If money were an issue, I would not hesitate to follow the official Mazda schedule (the more frequent schedule though). Your question seems to imply that there could be something wrong with changing it at less than 5K. Obviously you're not going to hurt anything (other than your wallet) by doing it more frequently. But you're likely not helping anything either.

Its synthetic oil. You could realistically go 10-15k miles without issue. Dont go less than 5k miles. It wont do you a bit of good.

Had my first oil change done at 4000 miles. Was going to do it at 3,000 miles but had to get the mazda oil with molly for the dealership to use (they only charged me $10 for the changing). I have two very close friends who are mechanics and they urged me to get the first one down sooner than later. I have also rebuilt a few outboard motors....and even the smallest particles can do damage. The first several thousands miles is where everything gets seated in and smoothed out....need to get those particles and grime out. Will follow regular changes after the first one....which I feel is the most important one.

Its actually best to drain the oil and drive it on the hiway for a few hundred miles to clear it all out. Then replace with chocolate pudding pops. Be sure not to over fill though or frothing could occur and damage your engine.

Welcome back, BB33. I usually use Crisco or olive when I change before 5000. The SkyActiv-G is also a biodiesel so it transforms engine oil into fuel. I never fill up the gas tank.

OK so theres no problem with changing the oil earlier? I will alos have them check everything else as well. They say change the oil every 5,000 or 6 months whatever comes first.

Brad you got it mixed up it's every 5,000 months or 6 miles, whichever comes first. It's right there in the manual.

OK so theres no problem with changing the oil earlier? I will alos have them check everything else as well. They say change the oil every 5,000 or 6 months whatever comes first.

Yes there is a problem. When you change your oil too early, your warranty gets voided and you will never be able to trade in your car to a dealership of any kind.

Welcome back, BB33. I usually use Crisco or olive when I change before 5000.

Crisco or olive oil? You must not be thinking clearly.

The CX-5 is manufactured in Hiroshima, Japan. I'm sure the engineering is also of Japanese origin (although perhaps not exclusive to Hiroshima). It is important to take regional preferences into account for maximum performance and engine life. While I exclusively use pure virgin olive oil in my Italian motorcycles, I would not even consider olive oil for a CX-5. I suggest sesame oil. My 1969 Nissan Patrol never saw anything other than oil rendered from whale blubber but that has become prohibitively expensive and so sesame oil is a sensible replacement. And my Ford F-150 never sees anything but pure corn oil.

Never had an oil related issue following these sensible regional preferences.

I usually just pour vege oil in my gas tank every time I fill up. That way, I always have new oil and never have to go in to change.

The CX-5 is manufactured in Hiroshima, Japan. I'm sure the engineering is also of Japanese origin (although perhaps not exclusive to Hiroshima). It is important to take regional preferences into account for maximum performance and engine life. While I exclusively use pure virgin olive oil in my Italian motorcycles, I would not even consider olive oil for a CX-5. I suggest sesame oil. My 1969 Nissan Patrol never saw anything other than oil rendered from whale blubber but that has become prohibitively expensive and so sesame oil is a sensible replacement. And my Ford F-150 never sees anything but pure corn oil.

For even better results than straight sesame oil, I recommend first using the oil to cook up a batch of sushi, the bluegill enzymes are phenomenally effective at breaking down carbon deposits. And since you're talking about a first oil change in a brand new car, you should probably go with a 50/50 mix of prepared sesame oil and baby oil. You don't want the piston rings getting a rash.

Use the oil drained from crankcase to make French fries at home, nothing is wasted that way.

If you ask the dealer in my area they'll tell you to change it every 3000 miles. They don't read the manual either.

BB33 it cannot hurt anything but your wallet to change the oil early.

Last edited:
BB33 it cannot hurt anything but your wallet to change the oil early.

A good synthetic blend like Mobil One will last 15,000 miles. HOWEVER, most oil filters are considerably shorter useful life than that -- more like 5,000 -7,500 miles. (And a FRAM filter from Walmart is useless at any age.)

Right now, only the Mazda OEM filters are right for this car, because "Skytech" design is a high-bvpass. K&N filters, which I always use, haven't yet approved their filter which physically fits (HP 1010) for the CX-5 2.5 liter engine yet. They may have an improved model in a few months, or they might take a pass on the CX-5 altogether.

The good news is the Mazda OEM filters are pretty cheap, and you can buy a half dozen at a time, and get your 0w-20 Mobil One at Walmart. I advise a trip to Harbor Freight for a good jack and stands if you don't already have them.

A good synthetic blend like Mobil One will last 15,000 miles. HOWEVER, most oil filters are considerably shorter useful life than that -- more like 5,000 -7,500 miles.

The oil filters in modern cars will last a lot longer than 5,000-7,500 miles assuming the engine is run with a properly installed pleated paper media air filter under typical conditions. Modern engines burn much more cleanly (due to smarter and more sophisticated injection systems) and have much less combustion blow by (due to tighter machining tolerances) - this means that oil contamination is very low. There simply isn't enough particulate matter generated to plug the oil filter. Most modern cars could easily go well over 50,000 miles without causing the oil filter to go into bypass mode- they are changed far earlier for reasons of cheap insurance. Of course it will vary depending upon specific conditions (more dusty conditions or excessive short trips/cold running).

Right now, only the Mazda OEM filters are right for this car, because "Skytech" design is a high-bvpass.

Where do you get this stuff?

The proper term is "Skyactiv" and the lubrication system is not a "high-bypass" design - if anything it could be considered a "low-bypass" design because it calls for a filter that requires a higher pressure differential before it allows oil to bypass the oil filter media (compared to conventional automotive oil filters).

And Wix does make a Skyactiv specific oil filter for the CX-5.

The good news is the Mazda OEM filters are pretty cheap, and you can buy a half dozen at a time, and get your 0w-20 Mobil One at Walmart.

Previously, I was a big fan of Mobil 1 synthetic oil. But it is no longer the same product it once was. Yes, it meets the minimum specs for the CX-5 and is a superior product to non-synthetic oils (which aren't even available in the viscosities specified by Mazda) but I believe the OEM Mazda synthetic oil has a better formula for longevity and efficiency. The Moly Mazda synthetic might be even better. I'm running the Moly right now and have been getting impressive economy. The lab results I've seen from the recent Mazda branded synthetic oils are impressive. And it makes sense that Mazda would want an oil that is tailored to the needs of their Skyactiv high pressure direct injected engines because the durability of these engines over time will determine the outcome of the companies economic success or failure. The Mazda oils are produced by modern, well respected refineries in Japan to specifications that were developed working in conjunction with Mazda. It might be "penny wise and pound foolish" to choose a less costly alternative (to quote an old British saying).

And since I plan on following service schedule I, the additional cost is minimal over the life of the car.

Last edited:
Back