Brand-new CX-5 owner here...

CeeEx5

:
2014 CX-5 Grand Touring
Hello, all -- just got my 2014 CX-5 GT about ten days ago. Loving it so far; I had looked strongly at RAV4s and Honda CRVs for a few months, and have owned three trouble-free Toyotas, but I read so many good reviews about the Mazda brand and the CX-5 in particular. Drove one, really liked it, got what I thought was a very good deal from my dealer so I'm in! AWD, white, larger engine, all the bells and whistles. Love the turning headlights. A few minor complaints such as the center console and cup holder arrangement could be better, but those are of course very minor things. I've read some the ga about excessive road noise but I sure don't notice it; you have to make some compromises in materials and weight to help optimize your mileage, so I think they struck a very good balance.

Does anyone know if is there a break-in period for my engine? I always watch my mileage closely and am wondering if it will change after a certain time. My dealer said I'd notice better mileage after a while.

You didn't read the manual cover to cover before leaving the stealership?? BAN!!

j/k - welcome, and enjoy the CX-5. I'm also coming from a Toyota, its a tough act to follow but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Yesterday, I have tested my wife's '09 CRV and it showed 77DB at 75MPH. It's not quite at all.

Gas mileage will improve....in the beginning Feb 2014 had an average of 24.9....slowly moving up and now that it is warm out and this weekend my overall average just hit 27mpg at the est. 4000 mile mark. My average is 30mph. Also, I found that driving 67mph gets better gas mileage than 65 or 66 mph....so don't forget to mess around to find the best speed.

My gas mileage seemed to really improve around 2,000 miles now getting 30 to 31.5 on the highway on trips. Also have a 2014 awd gt

That's good news on the mileage, folks; someone above said it would have settled in at 600 miles, which seemed a little quick. I sure am enjoying this vehicle though. Not perfect; some little oddities here and there, but the technology these days is amazing (not that it's exclusive to Mazda) and this rig sure handles precisely and feels great. Looking forward to enjoying it for a long time. I had a price I thought was pretty darn good, by the way, from one dealer, but then thought I'd at least better get a second opinion, and I'm glad I did, because the second one beat the first by a old margin. So much that the first dealer was wondering how he did it!
One more question: does anyone know how the 2014 CX5s are selling? Are they a hot item? Are they making a splash in this vehicle niche? My buying this CX5 meant one less RAV4 or CRV sold, so I'm kinda wondering about the CX5's overall impact in this niche....
Thanks again!

One more question: does anyone know how the 2014 CX5s are selling? Are they a hot item? Are they making a splash in this vehicle niche? My buying this CX5 meant one less RAV4 or CRV sold, so I'm kinda wondering about the CX5's overall impact in this niche....
Thanks again!

Unfortunately Mazda's not a very popular brand in general. Only 45,000 CX5 was sold last year. The CX-5 beats out all the competitors in all comparison tests in all auto magazines and websites, yet people still choose Fords/Toyotas/Hondas. Yeah it's unfortunate.
But personally I'm happy because I don't see much CX-5 on the road, same as when I bought the Mazda3 the first year 2004. Now you see Mazda3 everywhere, it was one of the reasons I got rid of it :)

NXT, the CX5 is Mazda's second biggest seller behind the 3. They have sold 24,000 through April so it won't be long until they are just as common as the 3! True they will always be a low volume seller, since the CRV, and Escape exceed that on a monthly basis. I agree its nice to be in and exclusive group, but again it won't be for long especially since the automotive magazines keep it winning in comparisons spreading the word!

Monthly Trend for:
2014 Mazda CX-5

Days On Lot Data

Feb 2013 - 9
March 2013 - 16
April 2013 - 24

Monthly Trend for:
2014 Ford Escape

Days On Lot Data

Feb 2013 - 34
March 2013 - 37
April 2013 - 39

Monthly Trend for:
2014 Honda CR-V

Days On Lot Data

Feb 2013 - 26
March 2013 - 28
April 2013 - 29

Monthly Trend for:
2014 Subaru Forester

Days On Lot Data

Feb 2013 - N/A
March 2013 - 6
April 2013 - 10

Last edited:
Congrats on the new CX-5. I'm reasonably sure you will enjoy it.

Back