Drive through car washes "wheel cleaner" - is it safe?

I hope this isn't a stupid question, and I hope you aren't too horrified to learn that I will take my CX-5 through a drive through car wash...

Having read the manual and it specifically stating the wheels are treated and solvents shouldn't be used on them or it will remove the protective coating...what are your thoughts on the products that the drive through car washes use? Do you think this will damage the protective coating on the wheels or is it likely a milder product that wouldn't cause damage.

I know car washes vary...just wondering in general if you think I should beware. I can't imagine they'd be using a heavy duty product, and they aren't getting scrubbed in the process, just sprayed.

Thanks for your thoughts.

In general i wouldnt worry. Lambos and Jags are taken to the turtle waxes around here. If its good for them its more than good for us.

One of the best wheel clearness is simple green. Spray it on and use a kitchen brush to rub around the rim, then enter the car wash. Does a great job and is completely safe.

One of the best wheel clearness is simple green. Spray it on and use a kitchen brush to rub around the rim, then enter the car wash. Does a great job and is completely safe.

I know this is a bit old but I needed to make a correction. Simple Green is safe if you have coated or painted wheels, however, on uncoated Aluminum wheels you're asking for trouble by using Simple Green as a cleaner.

I just purchased my 2014 CX-5 GT 2 days ago. First brand new car I've ever owned. I want to baby her as long as I can! Can anyone confirm that Simple Green is the safest cleaner for the aluminum-alloy wheels on the Grand Touring models? I believe I read in the owners manual that harsh cleaners would remove the coating on them.

When you wax your vehicle, place a couple coats of the same wax on your wheels. All new wheels have a clear coat applied to them so waxing is safe. Now you won't need any special wheel cleaners what so ever. Whether you run through the car wash or hand wash (always preferred), your wheels will come clean with ease.

Back