Rattle on Driver Side, Any input is appreciated!

youzi

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
Hi. I have a 2013 Mazda CX-5 GT. Just recently it started to develop a rattle at the driver side. At first I thought it was the steering wheel column cover (applied soft pads as per bulletin), but the sound is still there. The noise isn't always present on regular city asphalt, but it comes and goes. It sounds like plasitc hitting something. It does sound like it is coming within the cabin, and close to the driver rather than from outside. I was wondering if anyone has any other experiences before I take it to the dealer. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone has any other experiences before I take it to the dealer. Thanks!
I'm sorry I can't help you - my experience has been that the CX-5 has been rattle and squeak free.

on a couple of other cars I have found a mystery rattle behind the door lever. I don't know if it exists on our cars, but there may be a plastic access panel behind the door lever, the metal one that you grab and pull to open the door. Tap on that area behind the lever and you should be able to recognise the familiar rattle.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I can't help you - my experience has been that the CX-5 has been rattle and squeak free.

Hi Mike. I envy you. My car has developed a few rattles/squeaks. I have been able to fix them, but this one has me stumped. I really like this car when it doesn't squeak.

on a couple of other cars I have found a mystery rattle behind the door lever. I don't know if it exists on our cars, but there may be a plastic access panel behind the door lever, the metal one that you grab and pull to open the door. Tap on that area behind the lever and you should be able to recognise the familiar rattle.

Thanks for your input Bopper, I never tried to look at the door handle area, and I will update tomorrow.

Also check that the plastic piece of the pillar next to your windshield isn't loose. Try pushing on it to pop it back if loose. Might cause minor rattling when touching up against the dash.

Also check that the plastic piece of the pillar next to your windshield isn't loose. Try pushing on it to pop it back if loose. Might cause minor rattling when touching up against the dash.

This.

I have a rattle here. It seems to be plastic A-pillar cover rattling against something behind it. Perhaps an airbag cartridge or something. It comes and goes for me as well. Next time you hear it, simply reach up and touch the A-pillar cover and, if it is like my CX-5, it will dampen the rattle just enough so that it goes away. One of these days I will find a permanent fix...

is it a light tick-tick-tick sort of sound or louder?

If it is a tick-tick-tick sort of sound that can be quieted by pulling on the plastic at the top front of the door panel then it might be what I ran into here:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ixed-a-rattle-(or-what-s-that-clickin-noise-)
HandA: Thanks for resurrecting this thread. Somehow I missed it first time around and I've been experiencing the same thing, but at the other end of the door card (near the B pillar). I've tried applying discreet amounts of silicone spray between the panel and the door frame and it works for a day or two and then comes back. It stands to reason that the locating posts and felt liner are used at both the front and rear of the panel for positioning. Looks like I'm gonna have to pull the panel off to assess the situation properly. Think I'm going to invest in a trim clip puller to minimize the chance of clip breakage.

Paris1: What I ran into at the back of the door right by the B-pillar is the plastic right where the red arrow is pointing would contact the metal of the door:
doorrattle.jpg

I just slid some of the same friction tape in-between there and it has gone away. As you can see by the tape showing in the picture it isn't the fanciest fix but I don't ever notice the tape there.

I tried the silicone spray in that area too and it would stop it for a day or so too. That rattle was really fun. I could pull on the door panel and get it to stay quiet for awhile but if I let my elbow touch the armrest it would instantly start doing it again.

I've thought about getting the mirror TSB done but am afraid to find out what new rattles I might end up with after they remove the door panel.

Paris1: What I ran into at the back of the door right by the B-pillar is the plastic right where the red arrow is pointing would contact the metal of the door:
doorrattle.jpg

I just slid some of the same friction tape in-between there and it has gone away. As you can see by the tape showing in the picture it isn't the fanciest fix but I don't ever notice the tape there.

I tried the silicone spray in that area too and it would stop it for a day or so too. That rattle was really fun. I could pull on the door panel and get it to stay quiet for awhile but if I let my elbow touch the armrest it would instantly start doing it again.

I've thought about getting the mirror TSB done but am afraid to find out what new rattles I might end up with after they remove the door panel.
Your experience is identical to mine. What it appears to be is the plastic/vinyl rubbing on the door frame at that point and making a kind of low-pitched squeek. It comes and goes and I've noticed it more on right hand turns when the door flexes in the frame (presumably). There's virtually no space to get friction tape into the gap, but I will take a second look to see if I can figure out something. Thanks for your input; this is one of those little things that has been driving me crazy for a while!

I had to pry the plastic up a bit to get the tape to fit. The plus side is the tape stays put now.

I had to pry the plastic up a bit to get the tape to fit. The plus side is the tape stays put now.
Here's an alternative. Happened to have some black nylon window screen material in the garage. Cut a small rectangle, folded it over and slid it onto the spot. That way I didn't have to fight the adhesive going in and it's jammed in tight enough that I don't see it going anywhere. And the squeek's gone!

My rattle in first 1200 miles is from the windows when they are partially rolled down. The windows can be moved by hand and the rattle can be replicated by tapping on the glass even when the car is shut off. This is the same rattle I had in my last vehicle and is caused by insufficient felt holding the window in place. Last truck I put a piece of 2 sided tape in the groove and tightened the felt grip up.

OP have you checked the TSB thread? There are like 3 or 4 TSBs regarding rattle noises from different areas on the car. May be something that Mazda knows about and can be addressed with one of those.

OP have you checked the TSB thread? There are like 3 or 4 TSBs regarding rattle noises from different areas on the car. May be something that Mazda knows about and can be addressed with one of those.

Hi Plemieux:

I have went through all the TSB for cx-5. The only one related to front rattle is the one regarding the front cowl grill and front quarter panel weld area squeak. I checked the VIN, and it seems like mine was after the ones that were listed on the bulletin for the cowl one. The annoying thing is that the noise isn't always there. It comes and goes....

Back