Cargo dimensions

jabba

:
2008 MS3, 2008 CX-9
Could someone do me a favor: i would like to have the cargo space measured behind the second row seat. My wife seems to think the CX-5 cargo space is no bigger than my Mazdaspeed 3, even though I pointed out differences in cargo volumes on various websites.

So the Speed 3 has the following dimensions as measured from the cargo floor:

Width (left to right): 41 inches (measured in the center of the cargo area)
Length (front to back): 33 inches (measured in the center)
Heigth: 19 inches (measured from cargo floor to the top of the rear seat (excluding head rest)

Now i do realize the CX has the wheel arches taking up room in the back, so I guess the measurement should be done between the arches and also up past the arches?

Thanks.

There is a noticeable difference in room in the hatch of our 2012 Mazda3 and the CX-5.

Cars.com lists the 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 as having 16.5 with the seats up and 34.1 with them down.
the 2013 CX5 as having 34.1 seats up and 64.8 seats down

Trevor
Mazda Accessories

Thanks guys. I really need to bring her down to the dealership to see the difference, just can't seem to find the time lately. She seems to think that the wheel arches are taking up a tons of usable space, and okay I can see her point based on the motor trend measurement between the arches which seems to be the same width as the Mazda 3, but my point is once you pack stuff up to the arches, you have a lot more total room to pack above that than you would in the 3.

All this drama for storage space...

One of the main differences I noticed was the total height of the cargo area.

The distance between the cargo floor and the bottom of the cargo cover (usable area) is greater in the CX5.

Also shown in the measurements, the length/depth of the cargo area is bigger, another key dimension in the usable area.

Yesterday I brought home a fully assembled rocker-glider chair on its side in the cargo area with the back seats in the upright position. I was impressed.

Thanks guys. I really need to bring her down to the dealership to see the difference, just can't seem to find the time lately. She seems to think that the wheel arches are taking up a tons of usable space, and okay I can see her point based on the motor trend measurement between the arches which seems to be the same width as the Mazda 3, but my point is once you pack stuff up to the arches, you have a lot more total room to pack above that than you would in the 3.

All this drama for storage space...

I'd recommend filling your speed3 hatch with stuff that takes up the bottom of it and then at the Mazda dealer transfer it over. I never thought there was that much difference until we took the 3 grocery shopping and it definitely doesn't hold as much.

Whatever the number are, i sold my Speed3 to get my CX5 and it's a lot roomier in there.
Back seats space, cargo aera and the really handy 40-20-40 folding seats can fit lots of stuff.

Hi, new to the forum. Found this thread and I'm curious about the length/width/height with the 2nd row of seats down. from the above reply with the motor trend site link,
length (inches): 38.7, front width (inches): 57.1, width between arches (inches): 41.3,

What does front width mean and width between the arches?

I go tailgating/picnicking a lot and have to transport one of those collapsible tents that is about 5 feet high when collapsed, so I was looking for a vehicle that could fit this with no problem. It barely fits in my 99 corolla now.

Thanks!!

I had a Mazda 3 and traded for a CX-5 GT this year, and I do a lot of weekend camping on Cape Cod. I can pack way more things into my CX-5 than I could ever get into the Mazda 3. Also when I had the mazda3 I had to take the front wheel off my bike to fit it inside the car, it fits in the cx-5 with extra space to spare with the wheel still on the bike

Thanks! Do you know the measurements of the cargo area with the seats up and down? LxW? I'm thinking of getting the Touring with the 60/20/40 drop down back seats and want to know if the area will fit what I think I need.
Thanks!

Back