CORKSPORT CX-5 Short Ram Intake

TampaMS3

:
2016 CX-5 Grand Touring
Anyone have any real world feedback on this intake Sound & power .Any videos?

Axe-6-117-2313113354496054f99580568339.jpg

Thank you

Last edited:
If you really wanted you could make one for a fraction of the price of a new one...

Not a fan of short rams myself...

I suspect about a 4 hp loss and a bit more aggressive sound.
So true.

Corksport was marketing a short ram air filter for the new Mazda 6 but recently pulled the listing and is refunding customer's purchases saying their preliminary testing deemed it to be incompatible.

It's good that they provide refunds but I don't believe they should be offering products that make the engine run worse (while claiming big power gains) in the first place.

I bought it right when they released it for the mazda3 2.5L. The air was so turbulent in the intake tube over the sensor that it would throw CELs. They then gave everyone an air straightener. Well a few months later the car began to sputter randomly and then when starting my car up at the office one day it completely died on me. Thankfully i had tools with me, removed the intake and saw the straightener had turned sideways in the intake tube completely blocking the air flow.

Performance wise i noticed none. Mpg wise nothing. All it was was louder in the engine bay. It sounded good if you like that sort of thing, but outside of sounding different i saw no benefit of owning it.

short ram intakes theoretically are good but real world they have not much gains(other than sound)..
all they do is suck hot air into the engine(the exact opposite point of a cold air intake, which would potentially make more power and better sound)...and being a longer tube for a cold air intake may help rectify/straighten the air coming thru the maf/map

one thing that's bad about a/m air intakes is the metal tubing...the extra colder air you get from the larger filter and tube diameter vs the oe tubing and airbox, you're heating it up (to a certain extent...)from the metal tube heat soaking by being in the engine bay...

short ram intakes theoretically are good but real world they have not much gains(other than sound)..

Actually, short ram intakes are a compromise in theory. It's the long intake that has the theoretical advantage (it has the ability to create a more laminar air flow which theoretically allows a more efficient airflow).

all they do is suck hot air into the engine(the exact opposite point of a cold air intake, which would potentially make more power and better sound)

The CX-5 is equipped with a cold air intake from the factory. And there is nothing inherent to a cold air intake that implies louder intake noise - that is specific to the particular design of each cold air intake. The only reason aftermarket CAI's tend to be noisier than the factory intake is because they are poorly designed - small aftermarket companies do not have the benefit of sophisticated test equipment and teams comprised of specialized engineers. Factory engineering teams, using specialized equipment can custom tune each intake to the specific breathing characteristics of each engine design in order to minimize flat spots in the throttle response and increase the spread of power. This is done largely by tuning the shape of the intake to minimize efficiency robbing harmonic resonances (which also reduces cabin sound levels). They can then have custom injection molds for the optimized intakes mass produced. Aftermarket shops generally use crude aluminum tubes with no optimization and often sell the same intake for engine designs that vary widely in terms of breathing characteristics - far less than optimum.

one thing that's bad about a/m air intakes is the metal tubing...the extra colder air you get from the larger filter and tube diameter vs the oe tubing and airbox, you're heating it up (to a certain extent...)from the metal tube heat soaking by being in the engine bay...

The OEM CX-5 intake supplies colder air than any available aftermarket intake. But any heating of the intake air due to heat transfer of a metal tube is too small to be significant because the air velocity is too high for significant heat transfer.

Why people waste their money on crudely engineered intakes is beyond me. It might have to do with being gullible enough to believe the fantasy performance claims of the aftermarket intake manufacturers. And, of course, if it sounds louder, it MUST be faster, right? Lol!

Last edited:
I have ordered a K&N filter K&N 33-2480 These filters are washable and reusable
33-2480_Side.jpg

Last edited:
33-2480_Side.jpg
I ran a K&N of the same design on my Ducat ST4s for about 8,000 miles. I switched back to the pleated paper media when I noticed a lot of very fine and abrasive road grit building up in the airbox (on the clean side!) Yee, it was well oiled because my Ducat didn't have a MAF sensor to worry about fouling. I cringe to think how much abrasive matter has been sucked right into the engine.

Since switching back to paper my airbox stays nice and clean and I have a little more power (yes, the cotton gauze is more restrictive because it has fewer pleats which translates to less surface area). I've also seen Dyno testing from experienced tuners who get slightly higher peak HP figures using paper vs. cotton gauze. It seems that the only people who get better flow are the makers of the cotton gauze filters.

The CX-5 paper filter lasts 30,000 miles. I would rather toss it and put a fresh new one in then mess with washing, drying and oiling an old used filter.

The CX-5 is equipped with a cold air intake from the factory. And there is nothing inherent to a cold air intake that implies louder intake noise - that is specific to the particular design of each cold air intake. The only reason aftermarket CAI's tend to be noisier than the factory intake is because they are poorly designed - small aftermarket companies do not have the benefit of sophisticated test equipment and teams comprised of specialized engineers.

all cars technically have a cold air intake from the factory...find me a car that does not have a tube sticking out somewhere for fresh air sticking out from the "dirty side" of the airbox...and i'll show you wherethe tube used to be that somebody removed

also the loudness is not because it's poorly designed, it's because there's no extra baffles or chambers in place to reduce noise like in the OE tubing and box...

post up how it did...i'm looking into one but right now i dont have the money for one...
i'd like to know how it performs in theese cars, and if theres any issues...

The CX-5 paper filter lasts 30,000 miles. I would rather toss it and put a fresh new one in then mess with washing, drying and oiling an old used filter.

if you want to run a car 30kmi with the filter dirty that's up to you...i'll just replace mine when i see it's dirty

Last edited:
I ran a K&N of the same design on my Ducat ST4s for about 8,000 miles. I switched back to the pleated paper media when I noticed a lot of very fine and abrasive road grit building up in the airbox (on the clean side!) Yee, it was well oiled because my Ducat didn't have a MAF sensor to worry about fouling. I cringe to think how much abrasive matter has been sucked right into the engine.

Since switching back to paper my airbox stays nice and clean and I have a little more power (yes, the cotton gauze is more restrictive because it has fewer pleats which translates to less surface area). I've also seen Dyno testing from experienced tuners who get slightly higher peak HP figures using paper vs. cotton gauze. It seems that the only people who get better flow are the makers of the cotton gauze filters.

I can attest the stock air filter for the CX-5 is of good quality. It was suprisingly heavy and felt durable. The construction was very good with good thick rubber seals. I did an inspection at 5k miles and the filter was not dirty. It was rather clean. I'll inspect again at 10k miles.

Just going to come out and say, and based from my personal (and ongoing) experience, CS fails to put forth the necessary engineering/R&D before they release a product. Though, they seem to get it right after multiple revisions.
However, I am of the opinion that there is little to no benefit of altering the intake on any vehicle, without also making adjustments to engine management to fully optimize the altered airflow.

IHeartGroceries: This assessment sounds about right. Only after dumping serious cash ($10,000 in parts) into another car (heads, intake mani, headers, cam, crank, etc, etc) was the extra airflow of any real use. But if you want to make the Mazda sound tougher than it really is, intake/exhaust is the way to go. I actually prefer the sleeper version, quiet but powerful. Maybe a engine/tranny reflash is in order, but it may take years b4 there is anyone to give it a try, at least not b4 the 3/36 warranty runs out.

Back