Issue with intake?

Matrix2008

:
Mazdaspeed 3 2011
First let me start by saying this is my first post here and i'm sorry if it is in the wrong spot. Also this is the first car i have ever modded in any way other then changing rims so sorry again if i get any terminology wrong.

I just revived and installed my order from James Barone Racing of a RMM, Power Path Stage 3 intake, and a SSP. Today is the first time have have taken it out other then a quick drive down the road to ensure it starts. Once i got out i noticed a weird noise coming from what sounds to be the front drivers side in the engine bay right where the intake goes. It only happens when in gear and i let off the gas. At first i thought it might be the BOV but in neutral i can get the BOV to hit w/o the noise so that rules that out. I guess it could be the RMM squeaking? Or it just might be the sound of the extra air going back out of the filter and it meant to be there? I am unable to describe the sound other then metal rubbing on metal(which isn't that grate of a description) so i took a video. The car has o be moving to produce the sound so there is some background rumble noise and the BOV noise, but you can hear it right before the BOV. Like i said, i just started modding and this might be something that is meant to be there, i have just never heard anything like it before. If you have questions ask away, i should be putting back on jack stands this weekend so getting under it to check something shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you in advance for taking a look,

Mike

You mean the swoosh? havent you seen fast5? That's just from the intake, it's now like a rubber musical instrument. It changes the sounds alot depending on your bov, inlet and other Mods, Its basically amplifying all the little noises alot.. It should be ok. But the clip was pretty short.. Try for a better one, but if the cars fine? And there's no lights? I wouldn't worry, you'll need to get used to the noises.

Last edited:
It's hard to hear anything other than the "whoosh." Hopefully by now you've figured it out. I also have those mods, but am waiting to install the Wide Path Intake--which needs custom MAF cals before I begin. I've heard that the switch to all silicone produces much different sounds, but also check to see that everything is tightened down (RMM will cause everything to rattle, like mine).

I have a MS6 and took to the dealer for the noises, and as we speak I am getting a new VVT/Chain and a k04--under warranty.

Back