Push Start Distance

Does anyone know the distance the key needs to be to start the car? I'm concerned that if I unlock the car and load my trunk or the baby in the backseat that someone could jump into the car and start it.

Thanks!

Pretty much need to be in the cabin. You can test by walking around with the key while someone else watches the key light indicator on the dash.

You'll have to test it. Mine will start if I'm standing just outside the car, like you would when loading a baby in the back. But I do have to be very close to the door for this to work.

They wont get really far anyways. The car will stop when it doesnt detect the keys.

They wont get really far anyways. The car will stop when it doesnt detect the keys.

Perhaps that is how the Canadian model works...Here in the US, someone can drive away with the car while the key is still in your pocket and car won't stop...

There is no way the car should stop. What if someone in the backseat picks up the key and moves it out of range, or the battery runs out etc, 70 mph and the car stops!

I also wonder why when you get in the car and only press the start button once to put on some music, the car beeps "switch power off". Maybe I should RTM!

There is no way the car should stop. What if someone in the backseat picks up the key and moves it out of range, or the battery runs out etc, 70 mph and the car stops!

I also wonder why when you get in the car and only press the start button once to put on some music, the car beeps "switch power off". Maybe I should RTM!
I agree with the first part, and as for the second part, mine does not do that. I've gotten in many time testing iPod theories and it never did that. Maybe it doesn't on the US models for some reason? I'm glad it doesn't though.

Perhaps that is how the Canadian model works...Here in the US, someone can drive away with the car while the key is still in your pocket and car won't stop...

yep, it just beeps a warning that the key has left the car.

I haven't tried it with the door open but with it closed I have to have the key up above the door level so the metal isn't blocking the signal for it to start on mine. Even then it has to be really close to the opening.

I'm actually not sure if the car would stop. I just recall an episode of top gear where jeremy drove off with hammonds mustang while the keys were still with hammond and the car stopped when it didnt detect the keys. Just assumed the cx5 would be the same.

I'm actually not sure if the car would stop. I just recall an episode of top gear where jeremy drove off with hammonds mustang while the keys were still with hammond and the car stopped when it didnt detect the keys. Just assumed the cx5 would be the same.

I think that was completely staged for the show. It is an entertaining show but they don't always let facts get in the way of the story.

I can't imagine any keyless start working from that far away and as pointed out above if the engine actually stopped when it couldn't detect the key anymore you'd end up with cars shutting down on the freeway at random times because the battery finally got too weak in the fob or something blocked the signal from the fob. There would be huge lawsuits as large heavy cars moving at 70 mph suddenly had no power assist for the steering or brakes.

A quick skim of Challenger forums and it appears the system operates basically the same as ours. Within a couple of feet it will allow the door to unlock and only when inside will it allow it to start and it won't shut off when the key isn't detected anymore.

I think some of the early keyless start cars didn't have the warning light and sound when the key got out of range and that is why some reviews would have stories about the one person dropping their spouse off at work and then driving on to their work. Only to discover after they shut the car off that the spouse had the key so they couldn't restart it. But I haven't heard of any that shut off when it isn't in range anymore.

Last edited:
like most have said on here..so long as the keys are inside the cabin(or very very close but outside...like for example a foot or so max outside an open door) is the limit of the keyless start...

i work on cars as a mechanic for a living...most new cars are coming with theese keyless start features and they all basically work the same...start the car and you can drive to the end of the world with the keys out of the car...

if you're so worried about somebody driving off with the car unlock and then re-lock the car after you've opened the door/trunk and are loading baby/groceries/etc...

Latest posts

Back