performance upgrade

207cx5driver

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring 2.5L 2014
Just bought a 2014 cx-5 2.5L. Looking for aftermarket exhaust system. Havent found anything, any suggestions?

You can always get a custom one done at the local performance body shop.
I had it done for my RX-7 and Eclipse GSX and it came out a little less than the regular ones but it was quieter (which is what I wanted).

^ This. Funny how MikeM can act like a smart ass, and often does not have the knowledge to back it up.

AutoExe also offers two different catbacks. One being stock mount dual outlets, and one being a center outlet which requires either stock bumper cover trimming or their bumper.

You will learn, many of MikeMs comments are smart ass, backed by google, and seem to be anti aftermarket.

At the risk of being called a smart ass, could you please educate the ignorants like me that might stumble uppon this thread. The reason I ask is that I have seen many technical reviews praising the exhaust system of the CX-5, and more generally of the Skyactive technology. These usually state that the Skyactive exhaust is basically a technological marvel that is designed and tuned to get the last ounce of performance out of the motor. Now obviously, anything can always be improved, or technology would have ground to a halt with steam engines a long time ago ;). But how can you be so certain a new exhaust would be any better?

At the risk of being called a smart ass, could you please educate the ignorants like me that might stumble uppon this thread. The reason I ask is that I have seen many technical reviews praising the exhaust system of the CX-5, and more generally of the Skyactive technology. These usually state that the Skyactive exhaust is basically a technological marvel that is designed and tuned to get the last ounce of performance out of the motor. Now obviously, anything can always be improved, or technology would have ground to a halt with steam engines a long time ago ;). But how can you be so certain a new exhaust would be any better?

If he wants it to sound better then the aftermaket exaust would be "better" than the OEM.
OEM has price constraints in the design that he might be wanting to improve.

I wouldn’t think there is much of a market for aftermarket exhaust systems for the CX-5. Had several full exhaust systems on my Miata over the years and each one changed/improved specific characteristics.

I have a hard time believing that anything that rolls off an assembly line is a technological marvel. Skyactive? Sounds like a marketing tool.

What are you looking for in a new pipe? Sound? Low-end torque? High-end power?

Thanks Dimcorner. I had not thought about the sound aspect. That would entirely be a metter of taste, and taste is personal...

A catback on the CX-5 won't produce any noticeable amount of power. I bet you no more than 5hp. It is just the matter of atheistic, sound, and weight reduction (which again won't be noticeable). I suppose some people are willing to pay a few hundred for these factors.

You will learn, many of MikeMs comments are smart ass, backed by google, and seem to be anti aftermarket.
Thank-you!

I strive to avoid comments that are dumb ass, backed by ignorance and promote products that are thinly tested but make big claims about non-existent advantages.

I am not anti-aftermarket at all. In fact, the only product I've bought for my CX-5 WAS AFTERMARKET wheels. You can see my favorable comments about the way they improved the performance over the heavier stock wheels right here on this very forum. But no, I don't recommend products that make big claims about performance increases that they can't live up to.

For me to promote or recommend a product it needs to be properly tested and shown to be superior to competing designs or, at a minimum, lower cost with at least the same quality and functionality.

If you want to be critical of my pragmatism that is your failing.

A catback on the CX-5 won't produce any noticeable amount of power. I bet you no more than 5hp. It is just the matter of atheistic, sound, and weight reduction (which again won't be noticeable). I suppose some people are willing to pay a few hundred for these factors.

I 100% agree with this comment.

The gains (if any) are so marginal that they can well be considered in the realm of error and variations in testing. It is unlikely that a few percentage points will be noticed by any driver.

But in the end, it is always what the end user wants.....

^ This. Funny how MikeM can act like a smart ass, and often does not have the knowledge to back it up.

Oddly enough, I find most of Mike M's posts to be either perfectly on topic, fitting for the discussion, or rather helpful.
There are quite a few other people on here who's posts are less enjoyable to read, some downright irritating.

His reply was perfectly on topic.
When the OP can properly explain what he doesn't like about the OEM Muffler, then maybe he can get better help in this thread from people who have experience with the current aftermarket offerings.

Maybe the OP wants his CX-5 to sound more like a Corvette, or more like a TurboRu. Or maybe he's looking for 30 more hp.
If he says that, people can at least get an idea of what he wants from it, and can point him in the right direction.

BC.

Just bought a 2014 cx-5 2.5L. Looking for aftermarket exhaust system. Havent found anything, any suggestions?

What are you looking for in an exhaust upgrade? I may be able to give you tips based on my experiences with experimenting with different exhaust setups.

If he wants it to sound better then the aftermaket exaust would be "better" than the OEM.
OEM has price constraints in the design that he might be wanting to improve.

The stock muffler's sound does leave some room for improvement BUT it's a 4 cyl and is never going to scare kids and puppies like a V-8 can.

After market doesn't mean better made or even better performance. I used to sell these for a living and once put a big name exhaust system on my Mustang with 4 pipes out the back which looked sexy and sounded great at idle but whistled like a banshee at speed :(

Back