Mazda engine oil

Bought 2 qt of genuine Mazda 0w-20 oil from dealer today. Confirmed is made my Idemitsu. $8.09/qt before tax. I bought it to top up my engine coz the factory oil seems kind of low, though is half was between min and max. What is the selling price at your dealer? Walmart is selling Mobile One 0w-20 at $6.90/qt.

Seems to me it was about 7.50 a quart. It is VERY good oil,but I think the price is steep. I will be using either Mobil 1 AFE 0-20 or Pennzoil platinum 0-20 when my 5 free oil changes are done. Its extremely good oil and can be had for around 5 bucks a quart if you shop sales and rebates.

The Mazda oil has moly in it and those others do not. That may be the reason for the difference in cost. I paid $7.50 per quart and bought a Mazda oil filter while I was at the dealer. I'm going to guess that the moly helps a tiny bit with fuel economy and protection since the oil is very thin.

Mazda sells a few 0W-20 motor oil. Is the price listed for the type with moly?

Bought 2 qt of genuine Mazda 0w-20 oil from dealer today. Confirmed is made my Idemitsu. $8.09/qt before tax. I bought it to top up my engine coz the factory oil seems kind of low, though is half was between min and max.

Be very cautious with "topping up" the oil on modern engines. They are designed to be run anywhere between the low and high marks and being too high can cause serious problems. If it is in the middle of the range there is no need to top it up.

Reading the oil level on the dipstick might appear to be a "no-brainer" but there are a number of ways to get an erroneous reading (such as not having the car perfectly level or taking the reading after the car has been started/shutdown but not fully warmed up). Always take oil level readings after a fully warmed engine has had 10 minutes to drain and if it's within the specified range it's fine.

Bought 2 qt of genuine Mazda 0w-20 oil from dealer today. Confirmed is made my Idemitsu. $8.09/qt before tax. I bought it to top up my engine coz the factory oil seems kind of low, though is half was between min and max. What is the selling price at your dealer? Walmart is selling Mobile One 0w-20 at $6.90/qt.
Curious, how many miles do you have on your vehicle? I see quite a few posts around with dropping oil levels, mine going done included (little bit below full @ 1300 miles while hot). I know about engine break in and all that, just never had a new vehicle that actually did use oil during break in.

Last edited:
Break in or braking?

All engines burn oil by design.
Break in, sorry. I'm aware of that.Just wondering if it's the kind of oil ( Castrol or Mazda moly), new engine design, 2.5 liter versus 2.0 liter.. or just a break in thing. Being the 5th new car I've had in 13 years, I'm just used to that oil level never dropping at least in the first 50k miles. I guess time will tell.

Last edited:
2013 burning oil

Curious, how many miles do you have on your vehicle? I see quite a few posts around with dropping oil levels, mine going done included (little bit below full @ 1300 miles while hot). I know about engine break in and all that, just never had a new vehicle that actually did use oil during break in.

I have 10000 miles on my 2013. I have burned 1 qt in 4000 miles. I set up a "emergency" Mazda Dr. Appointment. They said it is a normal benchmark to burn 1 qt in 2000 miles. I know cars burn oil, but never heard of a brand new car using that much. My 2001 Ford Escape with 249000 miles doesn't even use that much:-D

I've seen a lot of manufactures list 1 quart every 1000 miles as 'normal'.
Assuming someone used the Mazda moly oil at $7 a quart....this vehicle would cost one an arm and a leg to drive. That would be a consultation visit with a lemon law lawyer...

I've never had a vehicle that used a full quart in the maximum oil change interval recomended by the manufacture or 7,500 miles. I'm talking a daily driver and not a tracked car. I would be upset if my new vehicle consumed a quart using the "severe" OCI or ~ 3,750 miles. The 1,000 miles per quart being normal is a real cop-out and something is wrong with the engine IMO. Ed

Assuming someone used the Mazda moly oil at $7 a quart....this vehicle would cost one an arm and a leg to drive. That would be a consultation visit with a lemon law lawyer...

My CX-5 (like most others) doesn't use any oil.

The 1 quart/1000 miles is a modern industry standard as to when the manufacturer needs to remedy the situation but it is extremely rare for a modern car to exceed this (especially once the engine has been run-in for 5000 miles).

My CX-5 (like most others) doesn't use any oil.

The 1 quart/1000 miles is a modern industry standard as to when the manufacturer needs to remedy the situation but it is extremely rare for a modern car to exceed this (especially once the engine has been run-in for 5000 miles).
Just throwing out a hypothetical, that's all, but apreciate the comment.

I have 10000 miles on my 2013. I have burned 1 qt in 4000 miles. I set up a "emergency" Mazda Dr. Appointment. They said it is a normal benchmark to burn 1 qt in 2000 miles. I know cars burn oil, but never heard of a brand new car using that much. My 2001 Ford Escape with 249000 miles doesn't even use that much:-D
What brand oil are you using?

Yeah, if the dealer is not using Mazda labeled oil, they should at least be using Castrol... which appears to be either the same as the oem or at least approved and supplied to the dealers by Mazda.

If one quart in 2000 miles is normal, than the car would be down by almost a full gallon before the first 7500 mile oil change. That's a scary thought, since the average person is not going to be checking the oil on their own.

Back